Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

3 hours ago, weams said:

All I would like to know is, did they seriously think that this was not going to happen? There are only two ways you think you can have sports this year: 1) you are naive, 2) you are not naive, but you don't care that infection is going to spread. The problem with 2) is that at some point either players, or people around the players, are going to get seriously ill or even pass away, and then you have a PR disaster in your hands in addition to huge lawsuits.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Nothing is. I'm not going to pretend to have anything figured out, but there seems to have been better options than this agreement. Obviously both sides had to agree.

Just scrap the season, and have virtual games on TV using MLB the show. :) :) :)

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

All I would like to know is, did they seriously think that this was not going to happen? There are only two ways you think you can have sports this year: 1) you are naive, 2) you are not naive, but you don't care that infection is going to spread. The problem with 2) is that at some point either players, or people around the players, are going to get seriously ill or even pass away, and then you have a PR disaster in your hands in addition to huge lawsuits.

They couldnt even agree on when do start the season, and you want to have agree on contingencies built in. Crazy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Former Oriole. Hope he recovers soon. 

Here's the thing about this Tweet... 

EdRod had his positive test upon reporting to camp, ostensibly he caught COVID was walking around with it prior to organizaed baseball activities. It was caught through MLB testing. In what way would he be better off had he not reported to camp? This is where some of this "how much of this are we willing to accept" logic falls apart, assuming that nobody would be exposed absent a baseball season - and for these athletes many may be worse off due to less monitoring

40 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I remember the old rec league days, having to more some players to the opposing team, so we could have a game. :) :) :)

There's a Chris Davis joke in there somewhere.....

5 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

It could have worked with a bubble like the NBA. I did not realize how bad the MLB plan is but I do think it could have been done.

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You do realize that its 14 Players and 2 coaches from the Marlins?

So its sounds pretty much like a scrub team of throw together.

This is good for whom?

If the goal is to play baseball, then obviously the goal is to play baseball. That means realistically that you’re going to have a lot of guys from the AAA team taking cuts at the major-league level. I would not call them scrubs, but of course they wouldn’t be the best players, but they are the team has to offer.

I think the quality of the player is the least consideration. And frankly if something like this happened to the Orioles,  I would be very happy to see the AAA guys playing.

but your question is a bit confusing. The Marlins had 12 guys go down. So? If you are going to continue with the baseball season, then you work out a plan whereby the Marlins can replace those guys with others without penalty.

if you are just complaining that the replacement players are bad, well that’s been a complaint about baseball forever. Except for the Yankees.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Here's the thing about this Tweet... 

EdRod had his positive test upon reporting to camp, ostensibly he caught COVID was walking around with it prior to organizaed baseball activities. It was caught through MLB testing. In what way would he be better off had he not reported to camp? This is where some of this "how much of this are we willing to accept" logic falls apart, assuming that nobody would be exposed absent a baseball season - and for these athletes many may be worse off due to less monitoring

I see your point, but the vast majority of players are indeed safer without than with playing. I expect that the vast majority of players quarantine and take precautions.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It could have worked with a bubble like the NBA. I did not realize how bad the MLB plan is but I do think it could have been done.

The jury is still out on whether the NBA system will work. We will have to wait and see.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

If the goal is to play baseball, then obviously the goal is to play baseball. That means realistically that you’re going to have a lot of guys from the AAA team taking cuts at the major-league level. I would not call them scrubs, but of course they wouldn’t be the best players, but they are the team has to offer.

I think the quality of the player is the least consideration. And frankly if something like this happened to the Orioles,  I would be very happy to see the AAA guys playing.

but your question is a bit confusing. The Marlins had 12 guys go down. So? If you are going to continue with the baseball season, then you work out a plan whereby the Marlins can replace those guys with others without penalty.

if you are just complaining that the replacement players are bad, well that’s been a complaint about baseball forever. Except for the Yankees.

Its just a game, and it could impact players for life. look like at Ed-Rod

Its not worth it.

They tried and it just didnt work out. 

#Walkaway.

• Upvote 1