Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

48 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Being flexible with the schedule is going to be necessary. The incubation period for a reliable test is typically a few days, so in events like this - a team will have to shut down for a few days like the Marlins have in this instance. I'd expect to see lots of double headers later in the season.

MLB really could have benefited from starting in early July and spacing out the games a bit to allow flexibility in the schedule. The packed schedule just doesn't leave a lot of room for anything to go wrong. And plenty of things go wrong during a normal year, let alone crazy 2020.

Yeah it doesn’t have ton room for error.  I think they need to revamp the player pool as some suggested to waive 40 man rule.  They should make covid list like 45 day list that player is off the 40 man just doesn’t have to go through waivers. and work with players association on service time issue. 

9 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah it doesn’t have ton room for error.  I think they need to revamp the player pool as some suggested to waive 40 man rule.  They should make covid list like 45 day list that player is off the 40 man just doesn’t have to go through waivers. and work with players association on service time issue. 

You would think it’s feasible to activate a player not on the 40 man until the point where a 40 man player returns from Covid list. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Being flexible with the schedule is going to be necessary. The incubation period for a reliable test is typically a few days, so in events like this - a team will have to shut down for a few days like the Marlins have in this instance. I'd expect to see lots of double headers later in the season.

MLB really could have benefited from starting in early July and spacing out the games a bit to allow flexibility in the schedule. The packed schedule just doesn't leave a lot of room for anything to go wrong. And plenty of things go wrong during a normal year, let alone crazy 2020.

What happens if there is a big outbreak in September? They are not going to have that flexibility to fall back on. Imagine if a team in the pennant race gets sick in the last week and can't play. Or god forbid, something happens in the middle of the playoffs! Seems clear they thought testing would take care of it and there is no Plan B. 

Also, MLB got lucky that the Yankees happened to be in Philly an easy drive to Baltimore, and the tests came out before the series instead of in the middle. I wouldn't count on such an easy switch next time.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What happens if there is a big outbreak in September? They are not going to have that flexibility to fall back on. Imagine if a team in the pennant race gets sick in the last week and can't play. Or god forbid, something happens in the middle of the playoffs! Seems clear they thought testing would take care of it and there is no Plan B. 

Also, MLB got lucky that the Yankees happened to be in Philly an easy drive to Baltimore, and the tests came out before the series instead of in the middle. I wouldn't count on such an easy switch next time.

MLB could resort to the no-RF, no-LF, 3-man-infield pick-up games I remember when growing up in Baltimore. That or gladiator formats.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Suddenly having to play the Yankees a week early is like realizing you have an exam later today you forgot to study for.

I wonder whether someone in the Orioles organization was overheard saying, after the RS series, "Bring on the Yankees!'

Speaking of exams, this will be a real test for the Oriole offense, especially the younger guys. I think I'm looking forward to watching it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I think MLB needs to get more creative for the playoffs. I propose setting up a playoff bubble in the Black Rock Desert. It's available now that Burning Man as been cancelled. In Burning Man style they could set up a few temporary fields and a small support city just for the players, managers, and  support folks. Everyone else can be remote, more or less like it is now. The playoff folks would have to be away from family for a few weeks, but I suppose it wouldn't be that much of a hardship for most. The plus side wold be a very memorable playoff series.

20110410_GK_BlackRockLearTrip_1002-Edit_

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I think MLB needs to get more creative for the playoffs. I propose setting up a playoff bubble in the Black Rock Desert. It's available now that Burning Man as been cancelled. In Burning Man style they could set up a few temporary fields and a small support city just for the players, managers, and  support folks. Everyone else can be remote, more or less like it is now. The playoff folks would have to be away from family for a few weeks, but I suppose it wouldn't be that much of a hardship for most. The plus side wold be a very memorable playoff series.

20110410_GK_BlackRockLearTrip_1002-Edit_

6xrp7wv3mnd51.jpg

I just love this article, and in particular the headline, from ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29554554/yankees-vote-unanimously-resume-schedule-vs-orioles

You'd think that everything hinges entirely upon the Yankees acceptance of the schedule change. As if the Orioles didn't have a change to THEIR schedule too.

In other news: "Yankees to Play Team Other than the Yankees this Week."

• Upvote 2