vs. YANKEES, 7/30

OFFNY

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It will be interesting to see how long Elias is allowed to put out absolutely horrid teams during this rebuild? By trading Bundy and Villar, he told the fans he's completely tanking this season and after losing Mancini, this team may be the worse team in Baltimore's history as a franchise.

With this being an abbreviated season, will we have to deal with another horrid AAAA season next year too? Things to ponder.

I am not really liking Hyde as a manager. I don’t think he’ll be here beyond his current contract.

5 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

You can argue that this is more of a cost-cutting period than a rebuild. I think people just need to adjust their expectations. 3-4 years is not realistic in this case. 2025 is when I think we may start seeing a bit of an uptick. The question, though, is can it go that long?

I know its MLB but you have to do better than six year rebuild.  Thats the well beyond length that the prospects you acquire and draft in years 1 to 3 are ready for the majors.  If you can't build a good core in 4 to 5 years, there's not much hope of ever building one.

Edited by GuidoSarducci

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This is season number two under Elias, who took over a team with the worst record in MLB. It’s a weird one and it just started. Seems a little early to wonder “how long can this continue?

I really don't think the O's can recover from this situation any time this decade, honestly. Things were better for the club during the 14 years of losing and it still took them that long. IMO it's realistic to see one, two or even three failed rebuild cycles before they luck into a strong core of prospects or very lucky trades (a la the Bedard trade that almost single-handedly parked the O's into contention in 2012).

Just now, allquixotic said:

I really don't think the O's can recover from this situation any time this decade, honestly. Things were better for the club during the 14 years of losing and it still took them that long. IMO it's realistic to see one, two or even three failed rebuild cycles before they luck into a strong core of prospects or very lucky trades (a la the Bedard trade that almost single-handedly parked the O's into contention in 2012).

It look that long because they whiffed on drafting most years. Hit on Roberts, Markakis and that is about it for over a decade until Manny was picked. 

It better not take a decade.  

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It will be interesting to see how long Elias is allowed to put out absolutely horrid teams during this rebuild? By trading Bundy and Villar, he told the fans he's completely tanking this season and after losing Mancini, this team may be the worse team in Baltimore's history as a franchise.

With this being an abbreviated season, will we have to deal with another horrid AAAA season next year too? Things to ponder.

It might be different if the minor leagues were operating, but nothing I've seen last year or in the early 2020 season gives me hope that over the next five years the rebuild will result in anything better than a mediocre team that can aspire to finish third behind the NYYs and BJs. I just hope I'm wrong.

29 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This is season number two under Elias, who took over a team with the worst record in MLB. It’s a weird one and it just started. Seems a little early to wonder “how long can this continue?”

Why? It's fair to say this team will be horrid this year and most likely next. That will be three years of being the worse team in baseball under Elias. I'm not saying what he's doing is wrong, I'm just saying it's fair to ask how long will it take to have a decent team when Elias is willing to trade away anyone tradeable who gets even a little bit expensive in order to tank.

3 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

When they announced the rule I was interested. I was open to it being kinda exciting. But after seeing it in a couple games, it feels like a very jarring discontinuity from the flow and rhythm of the rest of the game. It’s like all of a sudden A very different game. Plus, it’s a game normally characterized by its sedate slowness. I would get used to it, I suppose.

I feel the same way about shoot-outs to break ties in soccer. So different in nature from actual play during the match.

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

18 in a row

It really is disgusting and embarrassing to allow another team to beat you 18 straight times. Honestly, I completely understand how bad this team is, but come on, i could put together a team full of minor leaguers and they'll find a way to win a couple. 

It's like the entire team just tenses up, like they know it's just a matter of time before they will be beat. 

I know how bad this team is, I really do, but it's just going to be a long 60 games watching what amounts to an expansion team-level talented team, and that might be stretching it.

19 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

It might be different if the minor leagues were operating, but nothing I've seen last year or in the early 2020 season gives me hope that over the next five years the rebuild will result in anything better than a mediocre team that can aspire to finish third behind the NYYs and BJs. I just hope I'm wrong.

It sucks because right now, Hays is the only guy to be excited about and he's struggled so far (though he was screwed twice on calls tonight). If we suck but we know these are guys taking their lumps who will be part of a brighter future it doesn't feel so bad. Watching 30-year old career minor leaguers get smashed in the top of the 9th is not fun for anyone. 

If that was Hunter Harvey or even someone like Dean Kremer, at least you say they can learn from this and move on. But when you are running guys out there who look like they were about to pee their pants by facing the Yankees lineup it's not fun. When Sulser walked the first batter in four pitches I know he was going to blow the game.

It's hard to pitch when you are the guy trying to hold that lead in the 9th with no one behind you. Look at Givens. He's a much better 7th and 8th inning guy then a 9th inning closer. Brad Brach, same thing. Lot of guys are like that which is why i don't really agree with people who say you just use your best reliever in a high leverage situation whether that's the 7th or 8th inning vs the 9th. 

Not everyone can handle the pressure, and although this was just one outing, as a 30-year old career minor leaguer, it's not surprising that the moment, even without fans in the stands, was too much for him against the Yankees. 

Major league pitchers don't get behind every hitter they face unless they are too tense for the situation.

24 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

It is virtually impossible for a team to beat another team, no matter how good or bad the teams are, 18 times in a row. That’s embarrassing. 

I was out in the driveway shooting baskets while listening to the game when I heard the O's radio guys say the streak had reached 18. I was trying to think of anything even close and all I could come up with was college basketball when Clemson lost 59 straight road games in Chapel Hill to UNC (streak ended this January). Apples and oranges, but both are examples of complete futility. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I was out in the driveway shooting baskets while listening to the game when I heard the O's radio guys say the streak had reached 18. I was trying to think of anything even close and all I could come up with was college basketball when Clemson lost 59 straight road games in Chapel Hill to UNC (streak ended this January). Apples and oranges, but both are examples of complete futility. 

In an opposite situation, the UNC streak like tonight ended too with a last minute choke job by a bad team.

7 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Judge is postmodern. He swings at junk, then out of the blue gets patient. No matter what pitchers often feel compelled to throw him batting practice fastballs, and he hardly ever doesn’t crush those.

I'm still angry that the ump doesn't give Sulser the call against Judge, and then Sulser serves him a batting practice fastball.  We already know the O's can't win when they don't get that call, but still - you can't react to not getting the call by throwing the ball right in his wheelhouse.  And then the ump finishes the game by expanding the strike zone on Hays.  That just rubs it in as to the difference the umps treat the O's vs the Yankees.  Sure, the Yankees might win even if the O's got both calls, but that doesn't lessen the frustration.  

• Upvote 1