Richard Bleier Traded to Miami

oriolesacox

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

4-t7462165-500.jpg

o

Many people immediately thinks of Lew Alcindor (Jabbar) and Oscar Robertson when talk of the early 70's Bucks teams comes up.

But this guy was an underrated teammate of theirs ........ he would also eventually go on to star for the Washington Bullets in their back-to-back NBA Finals appearances in the 1977-78 and 1978-79 seasons.

Bucks to Retire Number 10 in Honor of Bob Dandridge | Milwaukee Bucks

o

• Upvote 2

I believe that MLB rules prohibit a PTBNL from being the player originally traded.

More likely a player that the team needs for the time being, as some have suggested.  Could also turn into the other favorite trade candidate, Cash Considerations.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I believe that MLB rules prohibit a PTBNL from being the player originally traded.

More likely a player that the team needs for the time being, as some have suggested.  Could also turn into the other favorite trade candidate, Cash Considerations.

Maybe they've added a rule to forbid it but it has happened in the past.

https://www.tcdb.com/List.cfm/lid/3990/Players-Traded-for-Themselves

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Difficult to believe we can get even a top 50 prospect or a flier on an international kid for Bleier.  I doubt there was a bidding war.

Maybe Bleier wants to pitch closer to home during this time period.  Maybe we are helping the Marlins field a team.

We are not running a charity, but I would not expect the Bleier deal to move us much closer to our next competitive team.

34 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Difficult to believe we can get even a top 50 prospect or a flier on an international kid for Bleier.  I doubt there was a bidding war.

Maybe Bleier wants to pitch closer to home during this time period.  Maybe we are helping the Marlins field a team.

We are not running a charity, but I would not expect the Bleier deal to move us much closer to our next competitive team.

Maybe if he had pitched well for us for awhile...for however long this season is,... he could have been sent for more to a contender.  But Elias must feel there is not much time to wait before this season is over.  It is not like he was blocking anybody. 

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, you have to wait and see what you get here.  If they basically dumped him, I won’t be happy about it.  Not because I think Bleier is good but because if he strung together 2-4 weeks of good outings, he could be more valuable to a true contender.

I would have risked that, for the little money he is being paid, if all we did is dump him.

I tend to believe they got more than a dump type player though.

I was surprised at the trade, not because I can't believe they traded Richard Bleier, but who they traded him to. The only thing I can think of is the Marlins offered up a list of guys and at least one of the guys was about what he could have expected to get for Bleier from a contender later in the season.

It's pretty obvious that the Orioles want to give long looks to Tanner Scott this year as well, and I expect him to fulfill Bleier's role. Maybe this will give Keegan Akin a shot to get some major league innings this year as well, though I heard his velocity has been down in the Bowie camp and he has not been pitching well (take with a grain of salt though because some guys have a hard time getting amped up to play intersquad games).

So I guess I look at this two ways. They got a return they were surprised to get from the Marlins and jumped on it or they are trying to open up innings for their younger pitchers in order to get a good look at them.

Obviously having good older relievers helping the team win games is not good for the big picture (trying to get 1st or 2nd overall pick again), though it does make it a little more fun for us fans watching.

As a fan I really enjoyed watching Bleier pitch when he was healthy and he will go down as a nice little story for the Orioles during some dark years.

• Upvote 2

“Definitely surprised. Caught me off guard there,” he said. “During the game I was just kind of mapping out a situation where I might get in, and then I didn’t get in and I was wondering what happened. And Mike (Elias) called me in after and he was like, ‘You want to know why you didn’t pitch? We traded you.’ So I was like, ‘OK that kind of makes sense.’ But definitely surprised and extremely thankful for Baltimore, the organization and everything they’ve done for the last few years for me.

“They gave me an extended opportunity in the big leagues and then really gave me another opportuntiy coming off a down year to get back to the status i was at before, so it’s been a really enjoyable ride here in Baltimore and I’m very thankful for that.”

Bleier lives in West Palm Beach, Fla., and is able to go home. Asked if he requested a trade, Bleier laughed and replied, “No, I had no idea. I didn’t ask for a trade. I feel like, LeBron James asks for trades. Not me.”

“I’m glad that I have value to another team,” he said, “but at the same time this was such a comfort for me here in Baltimore and I’m going to miss it. I know all the guys, I know all the staff, I’ve been around everybody for years. Before I came to Baltimore I was bouncing around organization to organization, and being the new guy isn’t nearly as fun as being the guy who’s been around for a long time, so it’s definitely something I will miss.”

Bleier isn’t apprehensive about going to Miami, where more than half of the roster has tested positive for COVID-19 and the team currently is shut down.

“No, not right now,” he said. “Hopefully, everything is under control and I’m not going into a situation that’s unsafe. But it’s definitely something that I’m aware of. No, I’m not overly concerned. They’re not going to bring me somewhere there’s going to be a problem.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/orioles-get-group-effort-in-6-3-win.html

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Who else would it be? Wasn't it supposed to be about six games in that callup doesn't cost service time? 

Definitely need another lefty. Scott is a complete mess out there (did he throw a single FB for a strike last night?) and Fry is very questionable. 

Yeah, no runs on no hits, struck out two and walked none yesterday. Real mess. 

6 hours ago, scOtt said:

My FB would be 50 mph max. In fact I can't even throw a ball 60'6".

I could throw it that far... but it would be the last time I could raise my arm above my waist!

I was at the Big A fan experience and clocked in at 84 mph. Don’t know how accurate that is. After rotator cuff surgery, too!

• Upvote 3