I'm Ready for Mountcastle and Diaz: Mountcastle Up, Diaz Still Waiting

ChuckS

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I do think Severino or Cisco (leaning more towards Severino) should be dangled for an SP or an OF

Than what are they going to do for a catcher for the rest of 2020, all of 2021 and the first third of 2022?

I also don't think either one brings much back yet.  Maybe at the end of the season if they continue to hit.

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Than what are they going to do for a catcher for the rest of 2020, all of 2021 and the first third of 2022?

I also don't think either one brings much back yet.  Maybe at the end of the season if they continue to hit.

I'm agreeing with you too much today. No return. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I really hope it doesn’t take that long for Rutschman to get called up. 

On 8/13/2020 at 12:19 PM, wildcard said:

Smith has a 900 OPS right now.  Though his defense is poor, his bat is loud.   As long as he hits  I think he plays.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, MurphDogg said:

His OPS was .726 3 days ago. And his career minor league OPS is .750. I don't think he has any value with his terrible defense.

Whelp, four days later and Smith's season OPS is exactly equal to his career MLB OPS of .734. His rWAR plummeted from its peak of 0.1, back down to 0.0. And he had another shaky defensive weekend.

I for one am shocked at this turn of events.

Lets see Mountcastle.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Whelp, four days later and Smith's season OPS is exactly equal to his career MLB OPS of .734. And he had another shaky defensive weekend.

Lets see Mountcastle.

Someone said it was around today that he would avoid Super 2. 

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Someone said it was around today that he would avoid Super 2. 

Because Super 2 eligibility is based on the top 22 percent of service time for players between 2 and 3 years of service time, there is no way of knowing in advance how long a player has to be held back to avoid Super 2. Last year, the cutoff was 2 years and 115 days which is the lowest it has ever been. The previous lowest it had been was 2 years and 122 days. Because days are pro-rated this year, each day of this season counts for approximately 2.7 days of service time. There are 42 days left in the season, which would equate to 114.54 days of service time remaining in the season.

It does seem like an awful lot of top prospects have been called up in the last week, so if those players stay up it becomes less likely that Mountcastle will be among the top 22 percent, but there is no way to know entirely because players can be called up and sent down over the next could years. Teams don't know for sure until after the player's third season whether he will be Super 2 arbitration eligible.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Whelp, four days later and Smith's season OPS is exactly equal to his career MLB OPS of .734. His rWAR plummeted from its peak of 0.1, back down to 0.0. And he had another shaky defensive weekend.

Lets see Mountcastle.

Its time.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its time.

Yeah. I'm curious what move they make to get him here.

You could option Mullins, but then your only CF option is Velazquez.

You could DFA Smith, but I wonder if they want to keep his lefty bat and have him split a little time with Mountcastle early on. 

Holaday seems valuable in order to get Sisco and Sevvy DH ABs.

They could DFA Davis (haha). 

Maybe time it with Hays' return from IL, send out Mullins and Smith at the same time. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah. I'm curious what move they make to get him here.

You could option Mullins, but then your only CF option is Velazquez.

You could DFA Smith, but I wonder if they want to keep his lefty bat and have him split a little time with Mountcastle early on. 

Holaday seems valuable in order to get Sisco and Sevvy DH ABs.

They could DFA Davis (haha). 

Maybe time it with Hays' return from IL, send out Mullins and Smith at the same time. 

Holoday is our new DH.