Keegan Akin’s debut

Frobby

As is his habit, Brandon Hyde waited until we were on the losing side of a blowout to debut a rookie pitcher.    Tonight it was Keegan Akin’s turn, entering the game with the O’s losing 6-1.

Akin started with two scoreless innings, then allowed a solo homer in his third inning of work.    If he’d stopped there, his line for the night would have looked pretty solid.   But he allowed two base runners to start his fourth inning, both of whom scored after Hyde replaced Akin with Cody Carroll, who allowed both inherited runners to score while allowing four runs of his own to finish the inning.    

Akin’s final line: 3 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR.     His one strikeout came against another rookie making his major league debut, 20 year old Luis Garcia.   Akin threw 48 pitches, 29 for strikes.   

From what I saw, Akin is a very fast worker with good mound presence.   His command was OK but not particularly good.    He threw mostly fastballs and sliders.    I only noticed one change-up, which he used to induce a soft fly out in his third inning of work.    The fastball sat 90-92.    The breaking pitch was kind of slurvy, but more slider than curve.    

My overall impression is that he’s more likely to be a reliever than a starter.    But, I’m not going to pronounce judgment based on a single appearance in a blowout game.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Manager Brandon Hyde on Akin: “I thought he threw the ball really well. I was really encouraged by how he threw the ball. Really nice life to his fastball, good tempo, he flashed some decent breaking balls. He went out and attacked hitters and I was really impressed with him making his debut tonight and facing a lot of tough hitters for the Washington Nationals and he did a nice job.”

Hyde on Akin’s composure: “I’m sure he was nervous and I’m sure there was a lot of anxiousness. I tried to give him plenty of time to get loose and try to get as much of the butterflies out as he possibly could. He threw the ball very well and I’ve been waiting to get him in the game and it just hasn’t happened the last five or six days. Tonight he got an opportunity and I thought he competed very well.”

Akin on what he felt coming into game:“I just told myself, ‘Take a deep breath.’ Honestly, it was a little different. I think I got one relief appearance in the past eight years. I think that helped. I was clueless going in. I took a deep breath and said, ‘You’ve got this,’ and that was it.”

Akin on last six days: “I was a little nervous on Saturday and Sunday, but after that the nerves kind of wore off and it was more the anxiety kicked in. It was the anticipation, I guess. It’s always fun to get the first one out of the way. It was fun.”

Akin on outing: “I felt pretty good. Just a little different than I’m used to. Sitting for a couple innings, then you hear your name get called down in the ‘pen and you’ve just got to get up and get going. I waited my whole life for this it was obviously a big goal since I was 16 or 17. It was fun and I’m glad to get the first one out of the way.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/akin-makes-major-league-debut-in-15-3-loss.html

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, he was almost certainly optioned for Lopez and Shepherd (who will serve in a long-man / mop-up role tonight) will be optioned for Means tomorrow.

Was Carroll as bad as the stat line looked last night? I went to bed. 

I saw that challenge play on Gomes on highlights. I think he may have been out. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Was Carroll as bad as the stat line looked last night? I went to bed. 

I saw that challenge play on Gomes on highlights. I think he may have been out. 

I went to bed after the 7th because I figured Akin was done at that point and that was the only reason to still be watching.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I went to bed after the 7th because I figured Akin was done at that point and that was the only reason to still be watching.

Real ugly game. Hope they got it out of their system. They were due for a bad one. Defense was brutal.  

I mentioned this in the game thread but I was hoping to see a little more juice on his fastball in a shorter appearance.

I saw him 89-94, mostly sitting 90-93. Shaky command. Lot of nibbling just off the plate. Wasn’t afraid to throw his slider (more of a slurve ball) to righties and lefties. Like to have seen the change more.

Like that he works fast. If he could improve his command some I think he could be an effective starter.  More likely ends up a 2-3 inning reliever. Maybe we see the fastball tick up to 94-96 that he’s gotten it to at certain points in the past, including the fall league where he was on a shorter pitch count. Think he’d be very tough to hit at that point with the deception that he already has from the left side. 

• Upvote 1