Update: Davis Activated! Davis to IL with knee injury

MurphDogg

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Undisclosed settlement with the team?

No settlement. He’ll earn his full salary selling ‘K’ shaped pretzels for the next 60 years. 

But no, I think the writing’s all over the wall and they’ll figure something out   

5 hours ago, joelala said:

No settlement. He’ll earn his full salary selling ‘K’ shaped pretzels for the next 60 years. 

But no, I think the writing’s all over the wall and they’ll figure something out   

I’m not convinced that he won’t retire. I think Chris is tired of failing and already said last year that he wasn’t earning his money and it bothered him. Obviously he still has to do it but said that he would re-evaluate things at the end of the season. I’m sure he’s seen nothing to give hope that next year will be any different 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not convinced that he won’t retire. I think Chris is tired of failing and already said last year that he wasn’t earning his money and it bothered him. Obviously he still has to do it but said that he would re-evaluate things at the end of the season. I’m sure he’s seen nothing to give hope that next year will be any different 

I think a chance exists, but he's not going to leave all the money on the table so the two (three) sides will have to reach some sort of agreement.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I fully expect him back next spring training.   

I do, too. But to me it feels like he's here only if Mancini doesn't make it back. If/when Mancini does make it back it will be a full on Orioles event. They will damn near throw a parade. The roster will have Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Nunez, etc. There's just not going to be much roster room or justification for Davis. To me, that's when the plug absolutely has to be pulled. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is the offseason he embraces technology.

Or

I was having a really solid spring and then the Pandemic shoved everything off the rails.  I still think I can help the team win, I wouldn't be here otherwise.

100% this will be the one. I can already read the quotes in a future Roch blog. His routine got messed up, felt like he was close to turning it around before the knee injury, etc. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I do, too. But to me it feels like he's here only if Mancini doesn't make it back. If/when Mancini does make it back it will be a full on Orioles event. They will damn near throw a parade and the fans, if there are fans, will go nuts. The roster will have Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Nunez, etc. There's just not going to be much roster room or justification for Davis. To me, that's when the plug absolutely has to be pulled. 

Sounds good but sorry - my avatar (and @Frobby) says it all.  Like MacArthur (anyone remember him?), he will return.  But it sure has been nice recently without him in the lineup. 

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Can you rehab lack of skill?

BTW, did anyone have legit hope that Davis might have a comeback this year after mashing in ST version 1?  I allowed myself to be fooled despite the fact that my eyes from last season told me he completely lost his bat speed.

Oh I convince myself it's possible every year. None moreso than this one with the added weight and the good ST numbers. 

5 hours ago, Hallas said:

Can you rehab lack of skill?

BTW, did anyone have legit hope that Davis might have a comeback this year after mashing in ST version 1?  I allowed myself to be fooled despite the fact that my eyes from last season told me he completely lost his bat speed.

No, no one ever came back from anything like this.  He has hit .209 with a .726 OPS since the start of 2014, and that includes a year where he hit 47 homers and was worth five wins.  Over the past seven seasons he had 175% of his total value (4.9 of 2.8 wins) in 2015.

Davis has played in parts of 13 seasons.  In his top-3 peak he was worth just over 15 wins.  That's impressive, there are HOFers with lower peaks.  The other 10 years he's been about four wins below replacement.