Cole Sulser: not closer material

Frobby

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Seems to me that Sulser needs an out pitch to finish guys off. 

Fangraphs shows him with a FB and slider. Seems to me he might benefit from a splitter or knuckle curve to help finish off hitters 

Dude needs to get command.  He misses spots and he misses them bad.  He could add a splitter or a knuckle curve but it won't help if he can't locate a fastball or slider.

I haven’t read the article or comments yet, but I would suggest that we don’t have anybody who is “closer material“

I would also suggest again that the concept of a dedicated closer is restrictive and unnecessary. You should use your best guy when you need your best guy. I think the relievers are suffering because Hyde aska them to do things they can’t do such as go too many pitches or too many outs. I think that’s happened a few times.

Armstrong is probably our best guy now but he’s on the IL.

Oh! I know! Why not call up a couple of our pitching prospects?
Theres a novel idea!

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I would also suggest again that the concept of a dedicated closer is restrictive and unnecessary. You should use your best guy when you need your best guy.

I think that's how it should work, and that it shouldn't matter if you bring in your best pitcher in the 6th or the 8th or the 9th.  I'm not sure that's reality.  It's clear that in some situations, maybe most, more regular and disciplined work schedules benefit pitchers.  Prior to say, 1960, it was not uncommon to have your starter sometimes start on two days rest, sometimes three, sometimes six.  Your best starter would sometimes pitch relief.  In the 1930s Carl Hubbell was the best starting pitcher in the NL, he also led the league with eight saves in a year where he started 35 times.  Today it is mostly accepted as a universal truth that starters pitch better on regular rest in regular roles with (mostly) defined pitch counts.

So I think we should consider and be open to the idea that relievers pitch better when they have assigned roles like closer or 7th inning guy or whatever.  Do I know this is always true?  No.  But I don't know that it's not true, either.  Is this a significant effect, that's more important than the impact of using your closer in the 7th when the bases are loaded and Giancarlo Stanton is up?  I don't know, but it might be.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Not every quality reliever has the intestinal fortitude to be a closer.

It take a special mindsight that some dont have.

Other Posters have disagreed with me, but I think its easy to see the failures over the years of those that tried.

Yes, sometimes, #2 man, can step up and assume the job and perform it well.

Yet, sometimes, they arent able to.

I think Harvey is your closer with Scott and Tate as your set ups.  Fry and Sulser are your LH situational guys, while Armstrong and Lakins are your 5th-7th inning guys. Valdez is long relief/mop up.

(Yes I know Sulser isn't LH, but I use him to get Lefties out)

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think Harvey is your closer with Scott and Tate as your set ups.  Fry and Sulser are your LH situational guys, while Armstrong and Lakins are your 5th-7th inning guys. Valdez is long relief/mop up.

(Yes I know Sulser isn't LH, but I use him to get Lefties out)

Unfortunately I think Harvey is my guy on the IL.

I think it is not smart for Hyde to put himself in a situation in which he has a dedicated closer.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unfortunately I think Harvey is my guy on the IL.

I think it is not smart for Hyde to put himself in a situation in which he has a dedicated closer.

He's got some options depending on match ups.  I think Harvey can be the guy if he's healthy.  If not this year, next.