Dean Kremer, the chosen one

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Dear Sportsfan,

He did.

respectfully,

The Future

They’re hungry. Like DJ said, there’s more down there. Call up Diaz, Lowther, Baumann, Wells, and Zimmerman.  See what you have. 1-2 spot starts isn’t going to mess a player’s service clock up. 

This team is playing hard and wants to win. Let it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Article says that Israel hopes he will be pitching for them in the 2021 Olympics next July in Tokyo.

I don't think major leaguers are allowed to do that, are they?

They are not. Hopefully Kremer will not be there.

The WBC has been moved from 2021 to 2023 and unless they change the qualification system, Israel has already qualified.

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Kremer Crushes Debut Major League Debut: O's Win Series

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/kremer-crushes-major-league-debut-and-os-win-series.html

o

o

An Inning-by-Inning Look at Dean Kremer’s Strong Debut

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/09/an-inning-by-inning-look-at-dean-kremers-strong-debut.html

o

23 hours ago, Philip said:

And he was a 14th round pick. I bet his signing bonus was a Burger King whopper with cheese and a milkshake.

Would you believe $147,500?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2016&draft_round=14&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

Second highest of the round.  It would have been a Top 7 bonus in 2016's 10th round.  4 8th rounders got 150K on the nose at about the 50-yard line of that round.

Not sure if any have made the switch yet but I think if I ran Steamer/Zips/PECOTA, etc., signing bonus would beat draft round as a starting inherent talent estimator.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Beyond the couple minutes with Ben right after the game, later in the postgame show yesterday Kremer was on again for 5-10 minutes with the media group.  The Danny Grossman authoring this story was part of it.  It was a very sweet moment - Grossman's "question" was perhaps 90 seconds recounting much of Kremer's biography, including the Coney Island MVP tidbit in WBC qualifying.  I imagine Kremer mowing down Great Britain in qualifying rounds had the look of many a Little League game here in the states with the one kid who is a real talent.

I hope the Braves and our international marketing departments are ready if Kremer-Fried is a matchup next week.  Kremer might get the 3rd game of that series if Wojo really is in the pen now and the team uses the offday to pitch Kremer next on Friday not Saturday.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philip said:

So why Wojo to the pen instead of Eshelman? I’m not convinced about Lopez but he’s earned some more chances. But I’d rather see Wojo than Eshy...

Eshelman is 5 years younger than Wojo, has a better ERA, better WHIP, lower HR/9, lower BB/9.   (And he leads the entire team in Wins, although I realize we aren't supposed to care about that anymore).

By any statistical measure, Eshelman has "earned" a shot at further starts.

Am I confident he will do well?   Not when I actually watch him tossing his 86 MPH fastball up there.  But if the choice is truly between those two, I can't argue against Eshelman based on performance.

Now when Cobb comes off the cootie list, I would put both of them behind Cobb/Means/Lopez/Akin/Kremer in terms of who I want to see starting.   But Cobb isn't active yet.   And even when he becomes active, we will need a 6th starter ten days from now when we have a doubleheader.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1