A few tidbits.....

bigbird

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just find it hard to beleive that 15 million per for a five year deal is a slap in the face. Hell i wish soemone would slap my face for that. It is going to get to be where the average fan can't afford to go to sporting events. Well for professional sports anyway.

It is a slap in the face when you take in the context of the other types of offers he will be getting. That is less than the amount Texas offered him for an extension and less than Atlanta was reportedly offering.

In the open market, he is obviously going to go for more than that.

If the Orioles think they can appease the fan base by just throwing a token, obviously low-ball offer at Teixeira, I'd hope they are sadly mistaken.

If you aren't serious about making a legitimate push for him, just move along to other options.

Miguel Cabrera was 25 when he got his deal. He also could play LF, 3b, and 1b. Before this season he put up 3, 150 OPS+ seasons. He is behind Pujols , but not far.

Tex will be 29. He has put back to back 150 OPS+ seasons. He plays 1b and great at it. Miguel Cabrera is definitely worth more than Tex, but I think the most I give Tex is 18 million.

Side note: I hope we trade Roberts and not bother extending.

He can play them, but he cannot play them well! He is getting closer and closer to a DH spot with each passing season.

I just find it hard to beleive that 15 million per for a five year deal is a slap in the face. Hell i wish soemone would slap my face for that. It is going to get to be where the average fan can't afford to go to sporting events. Well for professional sports anyway.

Let's say you put yourself out on the market as available for employment. A potential employer with a terrible history and a glimmer of hope for the future comes running and screaming, "We want YOU, Tx Oriole!!!". You arrange an interview despite having the impression that the company's really not going to be successful unless (in addition to trying to acquire you) they change directions in a big way. Even your co-workers are snickering and trying to talk you out of the interview. "Man, are you crazy? They have been in a downward spiral for 11 years! There are at least 5 other places that I'm sure would hire you. Companies with a track record of success! Companies that frequently purge themselves of the deadwood. Companies that put their employees in positions to succeed. And most of all, companies that have GREAT relationships with their customers!"

The lengthy interview process goes well despite how much different it is than most other interviews you've been on. At the end of the day, the company representative smiles arrogantly as he says, "Tx Oriole, you'd be a great fit for our organization. We want you to come aboard. We realize our customers are disappearing by the minute, and even the ones that are still around are disgusted with our products. We also want you to know there's a real good chance you'll be surrounded by inferior talent, but hey! It's not as inferior as it's been in some years! And trust us...we're working on it! Aside from all that, we want to hire you. We need you and we think you'll be prit-teeee happy with the number we're prepared to offer."

When that offer turns out to be 10-20% less than what all the reputable, established companies offered you, you'd feel like your time had been wasted and your face had been slapped.

The Orioles have almost no leverage with Texiera or any other free agent for that matter. That is, except for money. No offense to these guys, but Nick Markakis, Adam Jones, and Matt Wieters aren't enough to attract top-tier talent to Baltimore. I've contended for several years that it's going to take overpaying and I think it will hold true again this off-season.

Tex has performed better than Miguel Cabrera this season both offensively and defensively and has almost been on par with A-Rod. He has a lifetime .919 OPS and has eclipsed a .950 OPS the past two seasons hitting 30+ HR and having 100+ RBI for 5 straight seasons. And he'll probably do that for another 4-5 seasons if not more. He's also a two time GG winner.

Why isn't he worth 18-20 million a year in this market?

I hate myself for even thinking like Boras, but there are 2 aspects here. First on field performance. Second face of the franchise and PR value. While I think the Mariners of Randy Johnson, Griffey, and ARod proved that it takes 25 good players to reach the WS, I see the value of Tex as a player + a symbol of the FO's committment to a winning team. Of the every day 9 starters, the O's currently have 3 players of contender quality and 2 possibles. Roberts, Markakis, and Jones are contender quality. Wieters and Huff are maybes. Mora's bounce back year was nice, but there is little doubt that he is on the downside of his career. As for pitchers, Guthrie is the only proven commidity. Johnson and Sherrill are maybes. The rest of the team, ie. 18 players are not MLB quality let alone AL east contender quality. Let's get realistic. If the FO loves the AA and A pitchers act on it. Ignore FA pitchers and put the AA pitchers into the fire. Could it be worse than 2008?

I hate myself for even thinking like Boras, but there are 2 aspects here. First on field performance. Second face of the franchise and PR value. While I think the Mariners of Randy Johnson, Griffey, and ARod proved that it takes 25 good players to reach the WS, I see the value of Tex as a player + a symbol of the FO's committment to a winning team. Of the every day 9 starters, the O's currently have 3 players of contender quality and 2 possibles. Roberts, Markakis, and Jones are contender quality. Wieters and Huff are maybes. Mora's bounce back year was nice, but there is little doubt that he is on the downside of his career. As for pitchers, Guthrie is the only proven commidity. Johnson and Sherrill are maybes. The rest of the team, ie. 18 players are not MLB quality let alone AL east contender quality. Let's get realistic. If the FO loves the AA and A pitchers act on it. Ignore FA pitchers and put the AA pitchers into the fire. Could it be worse than 2008?

Each season we ask...could it be worse than this year? Regrettably, the answer is YES, it can still get worse!

Let's say you put yourself out on the market as available for employment. A potential employer with a terrible history and a glimer of hope for the future comes running and screaming, "We want YOU, Tx Oriole!!!". You arrange an interview despite having the impression that the company's really not going to be successful unless (in addition to trying to acquire you) they change directions in a big way. Even your co-workers are snickering and trying to talk you out of the interview. "Man, are you crazy? They have been in a downward spiral for 11 years! There are at least 5 other places that I'm sure would hire you. Companies with a track record of success! Companies that frequently purge themselves of the deadwood. Companies that put their employees in positions to succeed. And most of all, companies that have GREAT relationships with their customers!"

The lengthy interview process goes well despite how much different it is than most other interviews you've been on. At the end of the day, the company representative smiles arrogantly as he says, "Tx Oriole, you'd be a great fit for our organization. We want you to come aboard. We realize our customers are disappearing by the minute, and even the ones that are still around are disgusted with our products. We also want you to know there's a real good chance you'll be surrounded by inferior talent, but hey! It's not as inferior as it's been in some years! And trust us...we're working on it! Aside from all that, we want to hire you. We need you and we think you'll be prit-teeee happy with the number we're prepared to offer."

When that offer turns out to be 10-20% less than what all the reputable, established companies offered you, you'd feel like your time had been wasted and your face had been slapped.

The Orioles have almost no leverage with Texiera or any other free agent for that matter. That is, except for money. No offense to these guys, but Nick Markakis, Adam Jones, and Matt Wieters aren't enough to attract top-tier talent to Baltimore. I've contended for several years that it's going to take overpaying and I think it will hold true again this off-season.

Well done sir!

Let's say you put yourself out on the market as available for employment. A potential employer with a terrible history and a glimer of hope for the future comes running and screaming, "We want YOU, Tx Oriole!!!". You arrange an interview despite having the impression that the company's really not going to be successful unless (in addition to trying to acquire you) they change directions in a big way. Even your co-workers are snickering and trying to talk you out of the interview. "Man, are you crazy? They have been in a downward spiral for 11 years! There are at least 5 other places that I'm sure would hire you. Companies with a track record of success! Companies that frequently purge themselves of the deadwood. Companies that put their employees in positions to succeed. And most of all, companies that have GREAT relationships with their customers!"

Very, very true my friend. It brings up two issues, do you want to be a star player on a losing team, or a good player on a winning team. Being the star is great when you are coming up on FA, but when you are signing what could be your last contract as a professional, you don't really want to sell yourself short do you? Also, it brings up the issue, using your business analogy, do you take a comparable offer from a worse company because you are comfortable and happy there? I guess the best comparison I can get is the media scrutiny. NYY isn't very good right now either, and anyone thinking they are getting back to where they were in 1 offseason doesn't know enough about baseball. The older guys that didn't break down last season, will this season, and they will have just as many holes, just in different places as this season. Unless they sign Sabathia, Sheets, Pettite, Tex, and O. Hudson, it's looking bleak for them.

On the one hand I hope that Tex would feel comfortable here, see enough potential to compete in 2 years, and be ok with an offer within 5% of other offers, but on the other, should we scout ahead and see what the FA market looks like in a year or two when we are better positioned to contend, and after we have resigned some young players to long extensions? Chicken or the egg....

I believe that Nick still has some hard feelings toward this organization. Doubt that he accepts any extension

Sorry. Disagree.

Nick Markakis just bought a huge house in Monkton. If he wasn't planning to stay he could've just as easily settled in a nice upscale high rise apartment and cut bait when the lease was up. He's not going anywhere, not for a little while.

Sorry. Disagree.

Nick Markakis just bought a huge house in Monkton. If he wasn't planning to stay he could've just as easily settled in a nice upscale high rise apartment and cut bait when the lease was up. He's not going anywhere, not for a little while.

Nick lived in the city for a couple of years and found it too noisy and crowded for his liking. I suppose he could have rented a house on a bunch of property out in the country or at least bought one that was already built rather than custom design one, but I think his housing choice was more the product of his tastes and what he could afford than any sort of long-term commitment. Remember, at the point when he must have started building it, mortgage loans were still easy to get and not too many people envisioned the housing resale market tanking like it has. Lots of people in their 20's, from middle class people I know up to people with incomes like his, were buying houses and thinking of them as a good investment even if they weren't going to stay more than a few years.

Sorry. Disagree.

Nick lived in the city for a couple of years and found it too noisy and crowded for his liking. I suppose he could have rented a house on a bunch of property out in the country or at least bought one that was already built rather than custom design one, but I think his housing choice was more the product of his tastes and what he could afford than any sort of long-term commitment. Remember, at the point when he must have started building it, mortgage loans were still easy to get and not too many people envisioned the housing resale market tanking like it has. Lots of people in their 20's, from middle class people I know up to people with incomes like his, were buying houses and thinking of them as a good investment even if they weren't going to stay more than a few years.
Holy speculation, Batman!

Very, very, well said. Rep given.

This is really the bottom line. At some point we'll have to pay someone. Why not Teixeira and why not now? This is why I voted for 8 years (last 2 should be options) at 20 mil per year.

Pay this man, resign Roberts and Kakes, get a decent option at ss (now) and 3b (after next year) and let the entire focus of this franchise be on our pitching for the next 5 years. We'd basically be loaded with position players.

Note, we can likely get another Matusz-like pitcher at #5 next year as well.

This is really the bottom line. At some point we'll have to pay someone. Why not Teixeira and why not now? This is why I voted for 8 years (last 2 should be options) at 20 mil per year.

Pay this man, resign Roberts and Kakes, get a decent option at ss (now) and 3b (after next year) and let the entire focus of this franchise be on our pitching for the next 5 years. We'd basically be loaded with position players.

Note, we can likely get another Matusz-like pitcher at #5 next year as well.

Well didn't we overpay Huff? and Herndandez? and Gibbons? and Payton? and Baez? Granted, a little bit of restraint and decent scouting could've avoided those problems... but the Rays don't pay much for their team. Why can't we model our team after them, instead of the Yankees like you are offering here?

SBaseball, your point is very well taken. I guess one point i should ahve made was that we have all read that Andy M. keeps things clse to the vest. BB waass getting info from his source. But waht he said may not be correct. NOthing aginst BB or his source. We just do not know what Andy M. will do. He may talk Angelos into the money to get Tex. It seems like some are getting upset over stuff we don't have all the facts on. I am not totally against signing Tex. He will fill a need.

Archived