Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

29 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Benefitting from more regular play time?

Much easier division?

Maybe, as I have said, the rule 5 draft is not good for the players. Hiding guys on a roster and not allowing them to compete on a regular basis hurts their development.

I heard and thought we should sign him, shocked we didn’t but he wouldn’t be getting that playing time here.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:20 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Prior to this year Ryan Flaherty had appeared in six major league seasons.  His batting average every single year was between .202 and .224.  His OBP was between .258 and .302.  His slugging .318 to .390, except last year when it was .237.  He's a very consistent player.  He just can't hit.

If he becomes a serviceable everyday player at 31 it'll be frankly amazing.

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Couldn't help but notice Flaherty is leading the NL in batting, .362. 

Whatever, Drungo. 

Flaherty has the most improbably season ever, slashing .362/.490/.550. 

Our old friend Luis Hernandez retired today. I know you're shocked.

In 2008 the Orioles trotted out five different shortstops: Alex Cintron, Freddie Bynum, Brandon Fahey, Juan Castro, and "Little Luis". They combined for 635 plate appearances in the infield, amassing a WAR of ... **drumroll**... -5.0.

That has to be the worst combined performance at (mostly) a single position in history.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Is he benefitting from more regular play time ???

And/or a much easier division ???

12 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Both could be true ........ or at least one of the two.

o

o

Or a third possibility .......

Flaherty's super-hot start reminds me to a certain extent of what happened with Billy Smith in 1977.

For the first month-and-a-half of the 1977 season, I remember being very excited about Billy Smith being at or near the top of the league in batting average. That spring was the first time that I had ever heard of him, and I would brag to my brother Mark (Yankee fan) about him (and also eventually about Ken Singleton and Al Bumbry when they both went to the top 3 in the league in batting average as the season wore on.) In the pre-Internet, Pre-Cable TV days, I would excitedly wait for my mom to get home with the NY Daily News every Sunday when the league stats for all of the regular position players and pitchers were posted on a weekly basis, so I could read how Smith was doing.

As the marathon 162 game season wore on, Smith's batting average progressively dropped. By the time that the season ended, he had batted .215 in 411 Plate Appearances.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=smithbi05&t=b&year=1977

I'm not necessarily saying that the same will happen with Flaherty this year, but I do see some similarities in the two situations.

llImage result for Billy Smith Oriolesllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllf0f73a87_mlbam.jpglll 

o

• Upvote 1

I hope that his nevitable return to earth occurs sooner rather than later and I will be looking forward to seeing the reaction of the naysayers who are on here saying what a good player Flaherty was, how we should have signed him, how we mishandled him by not giving him "regular" playing time, blah, blah, blah.   2014, he started the season and played every day for the first 25 games...and hit .192.   Yippee.    I don't know what games you all were watching, but watching Ryan Flaherty try to hit for years was excruciatingly painful.  

Ryan Flaherty is what he is.   A useful backup who is offensively challenged.    

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I hope that his nevitable return to earth occurs sooner rather than later and I will be looking forward to seeing the reaction of the naysayers who are on here saying what a good player Flaherty was, how we should have signed him, how we mishandled him by not giving him "regular" playing time, blah, blah, blah.   2014, he started the season and played every day for the first 25 games...and hit .192.   Yippee.    I don't know what games you all were watching, but watching Ryan Flaherty try to hit for years was excruciatingly painful.  

Ryan Flaherty is what he is.   A useful backup who is offensively challenged.    

Big Jim Thome said he was a powah hittah.