Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

10 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I heard an interesting Gausman bit.  The Statcast podcast guys were reviewing the Angels Harvey signing and mentioned he had lost a couple hundred RPMs of fastball spin over the last few years, the second biggest drop of everyone they had info for.  They just kind of mentioned in passing that Gausman was first.

I'm not sure if Gausman's been trying to be more 2-seam grounders, but I never thought of that as his forte when he was a hot prospect.  The news gives me some extra comfort he isn't about to have a Cy Young blow up in the NL.

Or will Braves tweak him back to his forte?  @DrungoHazewood summarized him at the end of the season:

"113 National League pitchers have made five or more starts this year.

Kevin Gausman is 107th in K/9, at 5.8. He has a 3.88 FIP, and a 4.38 xFIP. His walk rate is higher than it was in Baltimore. And his BABIP is 58 points lower than his career mark.

All of that points to an nice little 8-start run where he’s seen a lot of balls hit at his fielders and that’s making up for a disconcertingly low strikeout rate.

According to Fangraphs he threw 22% splitters with the O’s, 19% with the Braves.

How does getting more runs make up for the fact you allow a #3-4 starter level of runs (4.14) per game?

But if you want to dabble in the dark arts and assume the ghost of Leo Mazzone has enabled some pitching to contact wizardry that’s fine, too."

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/09/16/drungo-and-the-dark-arts/

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, bobmc said:

Steve Johnson hanging 'em up:

I wish him well in the next chapter of his life. Was so happy for him when he debuted for us since we're the same age and he lived the dream. He wasn't a star or even an average MLBer but he made it which is more than you can say about a lot. GL Steve.

• Upvote 1

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/6440/aderlin-rodriguez

Padres signed INF Aderlin Rodriguez to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Rodriguez, 27, batted .286/.335/.478 with 23 home runs at the Double-A level in the Orioles organization last season. He's never played in the majors and looks like a depth signing. Dec 23 - 8:34 AM

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m slightly surprised Cruz went that cheaply on a one-year deal, especially with a team option attached.    I’m sure Schoop will be happy to be reunited with him.

I really believe the days of the aging DH are gone. He can't play any position, and Boston already had a DH.  A 135 OPS plus gets the value though. He'll be 40 next year. 

37 minutes ago, weams said:

I really believe the days of the aging DH are gone. He can't play any position, and Boston already had a DH.  A 135 OPS plus gets the value though. He'll be 40 next year. 

Not quite - his “baseball age” will be 38 next year and he’ll turn 39 on July 1, 2019.    I agree with you that the older DH types have been devalued, but he has been defying gravity for four years so I’m surprised he couldn’t get a two year commitment.    And yet at the same time, if he performs well the team can give him a $2 mm pay cut and keep him.    Pretty team-friendly deal if you ask me.    Kiley McDaniel had him pegged for 2/$28 mm, Fangraphs crowdsource had him at 2/$31 mm, and MLBTR had him at 2/$30 mm.

Brandon Snyder is still going, he is a National now, albeit milb contract. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4163/brandon-snyder

Nationals signed INF/OF Brandon Snyder to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Snyder spent the majority of the 2018 season with the Triple-A affiliate of the Rays, batting .253/.329/.465 with 18 home runs and 60 RBI in 106 games. The 32-year-old drew just six plate appearances at the major league level last year and zero in 2017. He will be minor league depth for the Nats in 2019.