Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wow, that seems a bit sensitive.   It’s a nickname.    Like Philadelphia is Philly, like New Orleans is Nawleans, like San Francisco is Frisco.   It’s not a slur.  

I am grateful to you for letting me know that Balmer is not a slur. Clearly, I was wrong in thinking that outsiders were insulting Baltimoreans when they act out their nearly Jolson-esque caricatures of us because I am overly "sensitive." I just needed the help of someone not from Baltimore to teach me about how I should feel. 

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

I am grateful to you for letting me know that Balmer is not a slur. Clearly, I was wrong in thinking that outsiders were insulting Baltimoreans when they act out their nearly Jolson-esque caricatures of us because I am overly "sensitive." I just needed the help of someone not from Baltimore to teach me about how I should feel. 

Maybe you should ask if Baltimoron is mean as an insult?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Fine, take it as a slur.   That’s your prerogative.   But I certainly know I’ve referred to Baltimore that way sometimes without meaning to suggest anything negative at all.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OldNewGuy said:

I’m old enough to remember when Bawlmer was meant to be a slur, an aspersion on those uneducated people who lived in a certain city who had a football team called the “Coats” and a baseball team called the “Oh REE o’s.”  You know, those folks who had to make a hard, dirty living with their hands and the sweat of their farhead downna Point. It was particularly made fun of by those intelligent folks that had gubmint jobs down in Warshington. In this enlightened age of increased sensitivity, perhaps it is time to recognize the name Bawlmer for what it is.

Further reading encouraged at: www:Baltimorehon.com.   

Why should I care?  I never worked “down the point” or know anyone who did.  Really if you feel insulted because you aren’t educated it is never too late to learn. In the state of Maryland you can go to public colleges for free if you are retired and over 60.  

• Upvote 1