Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Cashner removed from rotation after compiling 8.00 ERA in 30 innings.

The 2021 Red Sox don't control Mookie Betts, have a low ranked farm, and owe $130M to Age-35 Price, JD Martinez, Eovaldi, Pedroia, Age-32 Sale and Bogaerts.

I think I think we'll be better than the Red Sox in 2 years.  I would be entertained by Orioles fans going into full "We love you Mookie" recruitment mode in the year ahead.  He's a year ahead of the Lindor, etc 2022 class that has a bunch of candidates for the Rutschman bookend, but it'll be a good sign if during next year goofing around with that kind of stuff isn't completely ridiculous.

3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Cashner removed from rotation after compiling 8.00 ERA in 30 innings.

The 2021 Red Sox don't control Mookie Betts, have a low ranked farm, and owe $130M to Age-35 Price, JD Martinez, Eovaldi, Pedroia, Age-32 Sale and Bogaerts.

I think I think we'll be better than the Red Sox in 2 years.  I would be entertained by Orioles fans going into full "We love you Mookie" recruitment mode in the year ahead.  He's a year ahead of the Lindor, etc 2022 class that has a bunch of candidates for the Rutschman bookend, but it'll be a good sign if during next year goofing around with that kind of stuff isn't completely ridiculous.

I love the theory, but it's hard to see Baltimore outbidding the Red Sox and the rest of the majors for a premier talent like Betts.

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I love the theory, but it's hard to see Baltimore outbidding the Red Sox and the rest of the majors for a premier talent like Betts.

Maybe you can use how well he hits at Oriole Park as a selling point, but then again...the Orioles' pitching staff is likely the reason for that and not getting to hit against the Orioles anymore could be quite the downside.

Betts' year last year was incredible, but he's on a great 5 year run. I decided to look it up. Then I looked up Trout for grins and jollies. His worst WAR was 7.2. It's because WAR is a counting stat and he only played 114 games. His OPS that year was 1.071. Dude is incredible. (I know I know, breaking news)

53 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Of course there will be tremendous demand for him across the game - the point is more that perhaps the 2021-2023 Red Sox are shaping up to be almost as inappropriate a spot for a regular MVP candidate's end-of-prime as the 2019-2021 Orioles were/are for Manny Machado's.  They will still have Bogaerts/Devers/Benintendi though.

2021 is pushing it but I'll be disappointed if by the offseason before 2022 we aren't in position to be a valid bidder for a superstar to push the Rutschman group forward.  Heaven knows we will have the payroll space.

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Of course there will be tremendous demand for him across the game - the point is more that perhaps the 2021-2023 Red Sox are shaping up to be almost as inappropriate a spot for a regular MVP candidate's end-of-prime as the 2019-2021 Orioles were/are for Manny Machado's.  They will still have Bogaerts/Devers/Benintendi though.

2021 is pushing it but I'll be disappointed if by the offseason before 2022 we aren't in position to be a valid bidder for a superstar to push the Rutschman group forward.  Heaven knows we will have the payroll space.

The Orioles were 26th in revenue last year behind the Pirates and just ahead of the Royals. There's absolutely zero chance they're going to make any splurge signings especially while Davis is still under contract. Plus I believe the Angelos family lost their ass when they went "all-in" from 2013-2017 which is why they've been so cheap the last couple years. They're trying to make up for the loss in operating income from the Buck-Duquette era. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

The Orioles were 26th in revenue last year behind the Pirates and just ahead of the Royals. There's absolutely zero chance they're going to make any splurge signings especially while Davis is still under contract. Plus I believe the Angelos family lost their ass when they went "all-in" from 2013-2017 which is why they've been so cheap the last couple years. They're trying to make up for the loss in operating income from the Buck-Duquette era. 

Not likely at all.  Maybe tapped into a bit more of that MLBAM money then they wanted but I hardly think they actually lost money.