Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

I love this kid, and wish he was still in an Oriole uniform

https://www.mlb.com/video/statcast-yaz-s-472-foot-home-run?t=most-popular

The San Francisco Giants are hanging on in the National League playoff race, sitting just four games out of the second wild-card spot entering Sunday. Much of that is thanks to 28-year-old rookie Mike Yastrzemski, who has provided a nice spark to the Giants offense since his call-up back in May. He did so again Sunday night by mashing his 12th homer of the season. That 12th bomb holds a little more significance than the first 11, though. His grandfather, Boston Red Sox legend Carl Yastrzemski, hit 11 during his rookie campaign, meaning the legacy surpassed the legend Sunday night.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2019/08/mike-yastrzemski-passes-carl-yastrzemskis-rookie-year-home-run-total/

Note: He hit #13 last night.

6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Jones is having a similar season to last year. .OBP, SLG and .OPS  are a few points higher this year. But looks like towards the tail end of his career. Fourth outfielder next year?

With the uptick in offense, he's actually dropped about 10 points in wRC+. He's hit to a 88 wRC+ playing a position that averages 110. He's replacement level. He may have even more trouble finding a job this offseason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babypowder said:

With the uptick in offense, he's actually dropped about 10 points in wRC+. He's hit to a 88 wRC+ playing a position that averages 110. He's replacement level. He may have even more trouble finding a job this offseason.

Jones could have a great career as a motivational speaker. He could change some lives.

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

3 home run game for Little Yaz, including the "go ahead" home run in the top of the 10th that was the winning run.

This has gotten ridiculous.   The most homers little Yaz ever had in a full minor league season was 15.     Now he’s got 16 in 70 games for the Giants?    That’s crazy.    

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This has gotten ridiculous.   The most homers little Yaz ever had in a full minor league season was 15.     Now he’s got 16 in 70 games for the Giants?    That’s crazy.    

I guess he has some on his grandfather in him.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I guess he has some on his grandfather in him.

He’s got something in him, that’s for sure!

Of course, Grandpa Yaz had played 6 years in the majors without ever hitting more than 20 homers, and suddenly hit 44 in 1967, at age 27. So I guess sudden power surges are a family trait.   

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s got something in him, that’s for sure!

Of course, Grandpa Yaz had played 6 years in the majors without ever hitting more than 20 homers, and suddenly hit 44 in 1967, at age 27. So I guess sudden power surges are a family trait.   

I don't think Yaz has anything enhancing his body.   Its the ball.  The balls that used to go to the warning track are now going over the wall.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Yaz has anything enhancing his body.   Its the ball.  The balls that used to go to the warning track are now going over the wall.

It's made the homepage of mlb.com really predictable. Daily home run derby coverage. Yuck.

I enjoyed our guy Nunez's recent 5 for 5 game in which he plunked little singles against the shift. That took a lot of skil and maturity, especially since apparently he's such a dead pull hitter that he's the only O's hitter they shifted on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The average major league player now hits 22 homers per 600 PAs.  In 1976 that number was 9.  In 1945 it was 6.  In 1907 it was 2.

It was 17 the year Bonds hit 73 homers.  We're almost 30% higher than the height of the steroid era.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The average major league player now hits 22 homers per 600 PAs.  In 1976 that number was 9.  In 1945 it was 6.  In 1907 it was 2.

It was 17 the year Bonds hit 73 homers.  We're almost 30% higher than the height of the steroid era.

The superball effective every batter.  The steroids only effected those that took them.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Homers are up about 30% in the majors this year.    Little Yaz is hitting homers at about double his all time best rate.   Against better competition than he’s previously faced.