Analysis of 2020 Rule 5 Eligible players

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

I would really like to see Sico get consistent ABs. Who knows, if he can hot like he did in MiLB maybe he can be flipped when AR is ready. I am not sure he can but, I'd like to find out for sure.

I was a Sisco fan as he was coming up through the minors, but I’m pretty disappointed with him.   He walks a lot, but has a 33% K rate and his BA is probably 60-80 points lower than I would have hoped.    I don’t blame it on inconsistent playing time, his bat just seems a bit slow.     As to his defense, I don’t put him in the “not a major league catcher” category, but I do put him in the “needs to be an above average hitter to justify playing him at catcher” category.    And so far, he’s not.   

As to Severino, he has the potential to be far superior to Sisco defensively, but he’s just horrendous at pitch blocking.   Terrible habits.    And, his cold streaks at the plate are very unproductive, even though he looks good at other times.   

Overall, I doubt either has much trade value.     But I’d keep them both until Adley is ready.   

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was a Sisco fan as he was coming up through the minors, but I’m pretty disappointed with him.   He walks a lot, but has a 33% K rate and his BA is probably 60-80 points lower than I would have hoped.    I don’t blame it on inconsistent playing time, his bat just seems a bit slow.     As to his defense, I don’t put him in the “not a major league catcher” category, but I do put him in the “needs to be an above average hitter to justify playing him at catcher” category.    And so far, he’s not.   

As to Severino, he has the potential to be far superior to Sisco defensively, but he’s just horrendous at pitch blocking.   Terrible habits.    And, his cold streaks at the plate are very unproductive, even though he looks good at other times.   

Overall, I doubt either has much trade value.     But I’d keep them both until Adley is ready.   

I agree with you on all of this. I would like to see him get 450-500 ABs just as a final test. I would rather have Wynns or someone else (catch and throw guy) than Severino. Save the money and move on. 

I am willing to move on from Nunez, Ruiz, and Severino (Alberto, too, but I would much prefer if we could deal him than just non-tendering him). I, of course, wouldn't mind any of them back as a filler, but don't want any of them standing in the way of someone coming up from the minors (or someone needing to be protected in the Rule-5 draft).

As for Sisco, like others have said, I would like to see him get a large number of ABs in 2021 just to see what we have. I am doubtful he is much more than a bat-first backup catcher (a skill set that may have trouble sticking at the big league level as most teams seem to prefer catch-and-throw guys as their #2).

I would also like to see the Orioles try Sisco in a few other positions (corner OF, 1B, maybe...). If he can show some versatility he may have a better time sticking as a third catcher and bat off the bench given the extra spot available. 

11 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

You may be right. His defense is so bad that I don't expect much if anything for him, Not sure about offensive value because he is so inconsistent. But, you re correct that they should shop him before simply releasing him. 

His DWAR this season is +.4 ..... I’m not a big stats guy so I don’t know what that means. But I’m guessing it’s not terrible?

I can see reasons for protecting all 40 of these guys.  But I think Elias is not protect at less one of them.  I just don't know which one.

Starters (9) Means, Cobb, Kremer  Akin, Lopez, Zimmermann, Baumann,  Lowther,  Wells

Relievers:  (10) Harvey,  Scott, Tate, Fry, Lakins, Valdez, Pop, Eshelman, Armstrong, Mattson

Position players (21)

1B Mountcastle, Nevin,  Davis

2B   (Sanchez), Urias, Bannon

SS Iglesias, Martin

3B, Valaika, (Alberto),  Ruiz

C  Severino, Sisco

RF Santander

CF  Mullins, McKenna

LF Hays, Diaz,  Stewart

DH Mancini, (Nunez)

Plus I can see Hyde wanting to keep Sulser.

I don't see Elias offering salary arbitration to the three guys in () Nunez, Sanchez and Alberto.  He will have to sign them before Dec 2nd IMO to make sure they are at affordable salaries.

With the O's rated by at least one service as the 8th best farm system I think we have to be prepared to lose one or two guys in the draft.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get why Lopez is some definite to be on the 40 man.

I mean, I know he will be but he’s not good.  I wouldn’t keep him over a lot of the you get players we are talking about.

Totally agree.  It kind of made sense to see if he and Susler could improve last season, but now they need to let the other guys fight it out.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get why Lopez is some definite to be on the 40 man.

I mean, I know he will be but he’s not good.  I wouldn’t keep him over a lot of the you get players we are talking about.

I feel the same. Maybe they want to see what he does in this off season as far as conditioning. Lopez has stuff, but cannot maintain it and lacks physicality. This group obviously embraces conditioning. I think it would help Lopez greatly. We'll see if he does the work.