Analysis of 2020 Rule 5 Eligible players

Tony-OH

Here are the players eligible for  Rule 5 selection this year. The Orioles 40-man as of 10/4 is 35 players.

Here's how I see them being protected

Must Protects
Yusniel Diaz - OF
Michael Baumann - SP
Zac Lowther - SP

Possible Protects
Alex Wells - SP
Zach Pop - RP
Rylan Bannon - 2B/3B

Long shot Protects
Brenan Hanifee - SP
Isaac Mattson - RP
Cody Sedlock - RP

No Need to protect
Tyler Erwin - RP
Brett Cumberland - C
Ryan Ripken - 1B
JC Encarnacion - 3B
Mason McCoy - SS/UTL
T.J. Nichting - OF
Zach Jarrett - OF
Mickey Jannis - SP
Ofelky Peralta - RP
Cameron Bishop - RP
Ryan Wilson - SP/RP
Zach Muckenhirn - RP
Matthias Dietz - RP
Zach Matson - RP

• Upvote 3

I’d have Sedlock in the no need to protect category, as he was unprotected last year and didn’t get claimed.    Otherwise, good list.   I’m interested to know more about Isaac Mattson, who I believe did spend at least some of the summer at the alternate site.    He made it to AAA at the end of 2019 and also pitched in the AFL, so he’s pretty close to major league ready and I wouldn’t be shocked if he got claimed.   

Just now, oriole said:

I think Wells would be a good one to protect but I can’t imagine Pop or Bannon being taken. Pop would be unfortunate if someone did take the chance but I don’t see how the loss of Bannon would change anything. 

I'd pick Pop over Wells in a heartbeat.

If he isn't recovered from TJ you either stash him on the DL or you send him back.  If he's recovered he shouldn't hurt you out of the pen and could easily become a weapon there.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d have Sedlock in the no need to protect category, as he was unprotected last year and didn’t get claimed.    Otherwise, good list.   I’m interested to know more about Isaac Mattson, who I believe did spend at least some of the summer at the alternate site.    He made it to AAA at the end of 2019 and also pitched in the AFL, so he’s pretty close to major league ready and I wouldn’t be shocked if he got claimed.   

From everything I've heard is that Mattson isn't all that special. I wasn't impressed with the video of him from 2019 and the alternate camp report weren't anything glowing. I just don't think he's the kind of guy you take in a Rule 5. While basically ready, middle relievers aren't hard to find.

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think Wells would be a good one to protect but I can’t imagine Pop or Bannon being taken. Pop would be unfortunate if someone did take the chance but I don’t see how the loss of Bannon would change anything. 

Pop is one of those high risk high reward guys teams like to take a look at. Obviously he' a big wild card, but he had very good stats before his injury. 

I think there's potential for him being taken but he's a pretty big wildcard.

Pffft, who'd want our cast of broken toys?

I'm not worried about who we could lose in the Rule 5, that's just silly talk.  Who are we looking to GET in the Rule 5 is what I want to know!!!111 Bring on the Rule 5 baby, only time the Orioles win at anything!  Which Quad A type pitcher are we going to have to try to keep on our roster all year!?!?  I can't WAIT!!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not worried about who we could lose in the Rule 5, that's just silly talk.  Who are we looking to GET in the Rule 5 is what I want to know!!!111 Bring on the Rule 5 baby, only time the Orioles win at anything!  Which Quad A type pitcher are we going to have to try to keep on our roster all year!?!?  I can't WAIT!!!

You didn't even have to change the color to green to feel the sarcasm!!!  Love it!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd pick Pop over Wells in a heartbeat.

If he isn't recovered from TJ you either stash him on the DL or you send him back.  If he's recovered he shouldn't hurt you out of the pen and could easily become a weapon there.

I figured since he’s coming off TJ that would make him less likely to be taken. Wells has decent numbers all the way up through AA and he’s a lefty starter. Seems to me that’s far more enticing. As far as who ends up having a better career it’s a toss up with my guess being neither becoming impact players. 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

I figured since he’s coming off TJ that would make him less likely to be taken. Wells has decent numbers all the way up through AA and he’s a lefty starter. Seems to me that’s far more enticing. As far as who ends up having a better career it’s a toss up with my guess being neither becoming impact players. 

Soft tossing lefties aren't typically guys that get taken in the Rule 5 draft. Saying that, I'd protect him over several guys on the current 40-man including Wynns, Sulser, Martin, Nevin and Sanchez.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Soft tossing lefties aren't typically guys that get taken in the Rule 5 draft. Saying that, I'd protect him over several guys on the current 40-man including Wynns, Sulser, Martin, Nevin and Sanchez.

I’d protect the top 9 ...we have plenty of fodder to remove and plenty of similar guys will be available later.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I laughed, but I was actually going to say the same thing...except I don’t think we take a pitcher, I think we take a solid 3B