Analysis of 2020 Rule 5 Eligible players

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not overestimating Nunez at all.  I have been very clear what I think about him and how I hope that he doesn’t get much time this year.  

But what he does represent is an insurance policy.  Will it matter in the long run?  Probably not. I agree with Frobby that there is potentially more upside in his bat but overall, I don’t think it matters to lose him long term.  

What I do think matters is that you gave away solid offensive production for nothing.  His salary is nothing.  It doesn’t prevent you from doing anything and it doesn’t mean you will spend it later or that it would even matter if you did...since 2 million goes nowhere anyway.

And maybe he would never be worth anything on the trade market but I would have kept him around, see how ST plays out and go from there.  You would have essentially been gambling about 400k or so on him.  

That’s a fairly reasonable insurance policy to take on.

Nunez could not have been dumped in ST if he performed well.  That is only for players that do not perform in ST.   The union requires a reason.

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Nunez could not have been dumped in ST if he performed well.  That is only for players that do not perform in ST.   The union requires a reason.

Of course he could be dumped.  The team can easily come up with a reason if players outperform him in ST.

Thats an easy workaround.

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Good. Back to the discussion. So are there any of the guys available in this draft that you would drop one of our guys for? If so, who would you drop?

They pushed payroll over $100M in 2015-17 if memory serves. There may not be a separate slush fund from money saved in cost cutting years but I am sure there is some kind of system for rewarding the GM for meeting cost goals. Otherwise there would be no incentive to cut costs. No young GM would take a job if the description is purely to cut costs with nothing at the end of the rainbow.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:55 AM, Jammer7 said:

Here is an article from MLB Pipeline about the top 30 prospects of each team protected and not.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

My "really" skimming this was Padres #17 Tirso Ornelas.   I'd actually had that guy on a RotoUltra roster awhile ago.  3.11.2000 and was one of the more promising 17-year olds of 2017, but '18 and '19 didn't go as great before this year's black hole.

Last year he had 330 High-A at-bats, shy of Santander's 500 the year preceding his selection, but he is substantially younger.

No surprise the Padres slow-moving crunch gave a (barely) recognizable name.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

My "really" skimming this was Padres #17 Tirso Ornelas.   I'd actually had that guy on a RotoUltra roster awhile ago.  3.11.2000 and was one of the more promising 17-year olds of 2017, but '18 and '19 didn't go as great before this year's black hole.

Last year he had 330 High-A at-bats, shy of Santander's 500 the year preceding his selection, but he is substantially younger.

No surprise the Padres slow-moving crunch gave a (barely) recognizable name.

Interesting thing about this list Is that in the past we’ve taken at least two successful guys who were not on anyone’s radar; Joey Rickard and Santander.  And that was the old regime, back in the horse-and -carriage days of analytics, when they did calculations with an abacus, and pitch-tracking with a sundial.

I bet they go for a AA pitcher with a tremendous spin rate, and a 3B with a laser arm, and damn the prospect ranking.

• 2 weeks later...