Jose Iglesias traded to Angels.

LookinUp

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

They are interested in winning ... sometime in the future, with no publicly available timeline as to when that will be. Until then, tickets are still full price and beers are still $8.75, so come on out to the Yard to root for whoever they put on the field with 12-15,000 other people. Works out well for Elias' job security though.

Honestly, Elias must feel he has the full support of ownership for the long time. It's clear he's developing the organization from the ground up, but he obviously does not care at all about winning games at the major league level at this point, and in fact, I could argue he's tanking once again.

This team has been awful since 2017 and we're now looking at another year of tanking as Elias collects DSL players. It's just a little disappointing because you could actually start to get excited about the team based on last year, the young pitchers coming up, Mountcastle, etc.

Perhaps this is all ownership directed. The team certainly seems like it's doing everything about money and trimming the team payroll and almost all costs. I'm guessing they were afraid of looking like real bad guys if they non-tendered Mancini. My guess is if he shows he's healthy next spring and can be traded, Elias will trade him too. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

I figure the offense is good for another 1.5 runs/game with Mancini and Santander healthy, and Valaika playing every day.

I don't think it's a stretch to think Mountcastle, Macini, Santander, Valaika could hit 25+

And I figure there's some improvement in the starters that comes in year 2.

I may have picked a bad day to quite huffing glue... but I thinks there's a team in there.

There are some things to like. Still curious to see what else transpires this offseason, namely who will be the Opening Day SS and 3B. 

13 minutes ago, owknows said:

I wouldn't say that.

The pitching alone is improving every year.

OF = Santander/Hays/Mullins/Shaw

IF/DH = Mancini/Mountcastle/Valaika/Sanchez/Bannon/Urias

This team could win 85 games in a full season

Sorry, Elias just traded his defense up the middle for a 5th round draft pick and 5-11 DSL pitcher. There is no one ready to play SS everyday in the organization.  Iglesias was the perfect stop gap for this team, but it appears either Elias is not worried about winning this year once again, or that ownership is forcing him to be extremely cheap.

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

I figure the offense is good for another 1.5 runs/game with Mancini and Santander healthy, and Valaika playing every day.

I don't think it's a stretch to think Mountcastle, Macini, Santander, Valaika could hit 25+

I may have picked a bad day to quit huffing glue... but I thinks there's a team in there.

1.5 runs a game?  What?  Do you even realize how big of a jump that is?  Zero chance they improve by 1.5 runs per game.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sorry, Elias just traded his defense up the middle for a 5th round draft pick and 5-11 DSL pitcher. There is no one ready to play SS everyday in the organization.  Iglesias was the perfect stop gap for this team, but it appears either Elias is not worried about winning this year once again, or that ownership is forcing him to be extremely cheap.

Sanchez and Valaika are as good defensively as Iglesias and Alberto

Edited by owknows

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have a feeling we will sign another SS.    But I have no idea who’s out there in the low price range.   

Yeah, it's December and we'll have to let things play out, but it's disappointing. 

As a fan, I'm tired of this team sucking. I just am. I understand fully about a rebuild, but it's time to start a transition. Getting rid of good defense up the middle just sucks, especially when he's getting two more pieces that are so far off. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1.5 runs a game?  What?  Do you even realize how big of a jump that is?  Zero chance they improve by 1.5 runs per game.

Yes.

Roughly the difference between the Orioles and the Dodgers in 2020

Is it likely?  Nah...

Like I said... I picked a bad day to quit huffing glue

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

I may have picked a bad day to quit huffing glue... but I thinks there's a team in there.

That’s crazy talk.   1.5 runs a game is literally the spread between the best offensive team in the AL (Yankees, 5.25 runs/game) and the worst (Rangers, 3.73).

I expect we’ll be within 0.25 runs/game of this year’s number (4.57 runs/game, 8th in the league).    As the roster stands today, I’d say we’ll be worse.   But the offseason is just starting, not ending.  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Looks like Elias plans to tank for another year. I was really hoping for a transition year where the young pitchers get a good defense behind them and they see how things go. They do not have an adequate everyday SS for the major leagues now.

Elias must have really liked the Angels 2019 draft because that's their third draft pick they've acquired from the draft. 

Pinto is a 5-11 right-handed pitcher. Unless he's the next Pedro Martinez, I'm not too thrilled with 5-11 right-handers generally.

Pretty clear Elias feels no pressure for his major league team to win at all. 

I kind of agree with all this, and partially disagree... but this does show Elias is in charge. Has free reign (besides Davis...)

So if two Lottery Tix for Jose works for Mike, tank 2021 for another high pick, In Elias We Trust. :noidea:

The Rangers unceremoniously demoting Elvis Andrus caught me a little off guard, but SS is a young man's job.   Here are 40 shortstops-ish with their 2020 seasonal ages.  Just on talent, I probably only prefer '21 Iglesias to the Giants and Pirates incumbents clearly, with Miguel Rojas and Freddy Galvis type pushes.   CAPS are 2nd players from one organization; Jonathan Villar, Ha-Seong Kim, Jean Segura, Bobby Witt and Carter Kieboom not considered here

33 - B. Crawford

31 - Andrus

30 - Iglesias, Andrelton, M. Rojas, Didi, Galvis, Ahmed

29 - Semien

28 - Goodrum, E. Gonzalez

27 - Xander, T. Anderson, T. Turner, Baez, PROFAR, Story

26 - J. Polanco, Lindor, Swanson, DeJong, Seager

25 - Correa, JP Crawford, O. Arcia

24 - Adames, Mondesi, A. Rosario

23 - Gleyber, W. CASTRO, L. URIAS

22 - Bichette, A. TEJEDA, CHISHOLM, J. GARCIA, LUX

21 - Tatis, A. GIMENEZ, ROYCE LEWIS

19 - WANDER FRANCO

Lindor Cohort-wise I'm taking Seager out of the mix for the moment as he proved himself long term Dodger worthy in October.  The Giants and Yankees (Gleyber not a real SS) are strong favorites to beat the '22 Orioles for two of the Lindor/Story/Baez/Correa leftovers, but I aspire to the 3rd place mix there, fighting I guess Tigers, Angels, maybe Mariners.  

Jorge Polanco and Willy Adames will take mid-level jobs on other teams by around then.

Just now, Frobby said:

I have a feeling we will sign another SS.    But I have no idea who’s out there in the low price range.   

Sign, trade, pick up on waivers... We all know Elias' obsession with D up the middle. He will sign someone, probably THREE someones, for SS.

edit: Combined with maybe Alberto RE-signed on a reasonable contract for 3B, Rio still in the mix, GG at 2B... I think our IF will be just fine.

Just now, scOtt said:

Sign, trade, pick up on waivers... We all know Elias' obsession with D up the middle. He will sign someone, probably THREE someones, for SS.

edit: Combined with maybe Alberto RE-signed on a reasonable contract for 3B, Rio still in the mix, GG at 2B... I think our IF will be just fine.

Elias said. “We have absolutely loved having Hanser in every way, shape and form since he got here. He’s a terrific player....

... “He’s somebody that we continue to have interest in pursuing. We feel this is a great home for him and continues to be and we will continue talking to him. I think that the interest is mutual, but it’s now his right to explore opportunities and we’re going to have to compete for him. But he’s somebody that’s meant a lot to this team and we hope we’re not closing the door on him.”