If I am Mike Elias I am on the phone with the padres

ofan239

45 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Even if he doesn't have a designated position, he'll still likely see 500PAs this year, especially with the notoriously fragile Pham. Unlike some in this thread have said, he certainly wont be cheap to acquire. 5 years of control for a guy who was on 4+fWAR pace last year is going to require a big impact player or top notch prospects.

Perhaps, and I honestly don't know if the Padres want to trade him or what they would want and whether that would make sense for the Orioles. Before his breakout year, his minor league number were pretty pedestrian which could hurt his overall value. If the Padres are still able to get him almost full-time at bats, then they probably won't move him unless they can get a missing piece for their World Series run next season. I honestly don't even know their current needs. We ended dup on a conversation about Hays and Diaz due to the OPs suggestion he would trade either of them for him.

Basically we're at that time of year that anything to discuss will be ad-nauseum. lol

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I want a shortstop with solid overall production.  It doesn't matter what shape that takes.  I'd rather have someone with an okay glove and an .800 OPS than a very good glove and a .650.

I agree with this.  The grumpy old man bit is I feel if scouts/orgs don't give you pro reps in your early 20's, you are very likely Pat Valaika-ish.  He could hit like Manny Ramirez but I suspect if we put him at SS 150 times the net effect would be meh.   (Maybe that's what it takes to get RMC in to 1B/DH, but then Diaz still blocked).

Robertson, Cronenworth, Yolmer - same, same, same.   Villar too, with more entertainment value.

I'm a little intrigued by Ramon Urias in a Miguel Gonzalez kind of way, but more for 2B/3B as through 26 I only see 20% SS in the Mexican/US minors track record.   Maybe he plays April/May there and hits okay, but would bet 20th percentile or under on IF OAA.   I could be sold on the idea today he is the starting 2B, and Sanchez the infield reserve.

The SS iceberg is slippery to stay on - probably Didi ends up saying "Uncle" and takes a 2B job somewhere (maybe Semien too, Simmons definitely not), but its an interesting four five musical chairs to watch for a little while, especially if a few teams are functionally bankrupt.   What will mess with my brain is if Andrelton comes for 2/16 or 3/21, or will it be an opportunity lost if one of the other 29 gets that?

I trust the industry generally to find all the planet's Fernando Tatises.   I can even imagine Freddy Galvis learning the Justin Turner things more than I could Wilmer Flores (or anyone who is a good hitter for a hard position) learning the Ozzie Smith things.  (I know you know all this - this is more curiosity how Elias handles an interesting 2-year puzzle with the team about to get better)

Kiner-Falefa in pure baseball terms is going to be a heck of a thing to watch this spring.

I think Cronenworth is an interesting can to kick in this respect.

Of course it seems to some of us a natural trade fit - he seems like a starting caliber position player - we need half a team of those, etc.   The blackjack dealers and hedge fund managers - its just depth depth depth probabilities probabilities probabilities.  Deep Depth in the great Oriole teams era WAS a hallmark.   Lowenstein and Roenicke maybe could have hit 70 homeruns in 1982 with 1250 PA instead of 850.

Then the desert after the Camden Yards honeymoon until the great Buck run (#MostALWins5YearSpan), but that era's teams were never deep.  We blew out Machado's knee, used up Wieters and Brach, and lauded nuggets for "posting up".   You get a nucleus, you can ride it (I Like My Guys), but you probably can't chase 10 playoff berths a decade.

The Dodgers-Padres battle is very fun, and there's a glow to any of their personnel, so why don't we just sign Enrique Hernandez, keep our talent, and see what happens for 500 PA?   

Even on the 4-year timeline I don't see Cronenworth as someone I'm worried about not having whenever it gets as good as it gets.   I could get pumped about trying to thaw the MASN iceberg if the Nationals are as fed up with Kieboom as the Red Sox Benintendi.   Kieboom is totally Giolito if the Nats get their Suarez/Bryant whatever for Scherzer's walk year.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Because the Padres just acquired Ha-seong Kim to a four-year contract and now he most likely does not have a starting spot with them, Because of that, they might be inclined to move him if they think he has starter value around the league. 

Exactly - they have depth at the place we need starters - infield 

The switch being off, I think Elias/Sig today are on the edge of their seats for the 2021 data Henderson, Westburg and Vavra give them.   Maybe you have a SS and nothing else, maybe you have everything but the SS.

Its straight Talent Accumulation phase until like the 10 best guys say uh-uh.

Moreso than outfielders, I can see Means, Kremer or Akin becoming a trade piece for a different position if it ever comes to a point a roster imbalance is cannibalizing value.   If all goes well, somebody will be Joe Musgrove someday.

18 minutes ago, ofan239 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/padres-rumors-masahiro-tanaka.html

padres still looking for rotation help - Cobb for Cronenworth? They are obviously looking to win this year. I wouldn’t want to lose Cobb but I’d think about this if the padres could take on the salary . They seem to be willing to if they are looking at Tanaka .

Considering we'd trade Cobb and his salary for a bucket of balls, I'm all in on this deal. 

Which means it won't happen. Maybe if we took some of the salary.

2 hours ago, ofan239 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/padres-rumors-masahiro-tanaka.html

padres still looking for rotation help - Cobb for Cronenworth? They are obviously looking to win this year. I wouldn’t want to lose Cobb but I’d think about this if the padres could take on the salary . They seem to be willing to if they are looking at Tanaka .

Maybe Cobb plus Hays.