BA Releases Top 100 - 5 O's in top 70

LTO's

As an aside, based on reports here and local hype, you could argue Baumann is a top 100 talent. Also, in a year we may be lucky enough for Henderson and Westburg to earn a place on a list like this. That's 8 guys plus the #5 overall pick, and it's not inclusive of solid-average profiles like Lowther.

Obviously some will fail and others may never make this list, but it's a decent little group we have coming up now for sure.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

As an aside, based on reports here and local hype, you could argue Baumann is a top 100 talent. Also, in a year we may be lucky enough for Henderson and Westburg to earn a place on a list like this. That's 8 guys plus the #5 overall pick, and it's not inclusive of solid-average profiles like Lowther.

Obviously some will fail and others may never make this list, but it's a decent little group we have coming up now for sure.

The list will be gauche if we get an Adley/Baumann hoard.   

I am guessing an SEC ace for 1-5 in July, and granted the chance for any exact 4 pitchers to be healthy  365 days from now is probably about 10%.

"The #1 farm system in baseball" could have a little lump of coal tinge in certain circumstances, though of course in the longer term we get to see how it all plays out.

19 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

The list will be gauche if we get an Adley/Baumann hoard.   

gauche:  lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward.  ?
Sorry for being the dictionary police, but do you just look for impressive sounding words to use here?  Really, how can a list fit that definition?  
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

gauche:  lacking ease or grace; unsophisticated and socially awkward.  ?
Sorry for being the dictionary police, but do you just look for impressive sounding words to use here?  Really, how can a list fit that definition?  

Busted :)

I do like getting to see good Orioles play baseball, and hope those two play well enough not letting them be Orioles this summer would be...graceless?

I think TL;DR more my problem, and was trying for short there, but talking with a 5-year old half the time I guess messes up the vocabulary too...damn.

16 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Busted :)

I do like getting to see good Orioles play baseball, and hope those two play well enough not letting them be Orioles this summer would be...graceless?

I think TL;DR more my problem, and was trying for short there, but talking with a 5-year old half the time I guess messes up the vocabulary too...damn.

I think the word is perfectly chosen. Anyone who doesn’t put AR first is definitely unsophisticated, and therefore not the kind of guy you want to marry into the family. OD’s perspicacity is ne plus ultra.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think the word is perfectly chosen. Anyone who doesn’t put AR first is definitely unsophisticated, and therefore not the kind of guy you want to marry into the family. OD’s perspicacity is ne plus ultra.

Ne plus ultra?  You must have gone to college.  ?

On 1/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, Moose Milligan said:

These prospect lists are largely meaningless.  There's very little difference between the 70th rated prospect and the 100th rated prospect.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/10-prospects-who-just-missed-the-2021-top-100-prospects-list/

There is nothing linear about a Top 100 Prospects ranking. The difference between ranking 90th and 91st on the Baseball America Top 100 Prospects list is often infinitesimal, as the gap between No. 1 and No. 20 on the list is always larger than the gap between No. 75 and No. 125.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:30 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Nice.

I find it interesting that Heston Kjerstad is ranked that highly. 

I don't think he was that well regarded before the draft and he certainly didn't do anything after the draft.  Just a reaction to being drafted 1-2?

I do also ... so Torkelson, Martin and a number of others made the top 100 without playing a MILB game.

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I do also ... so Torkelson, Martin and a number of others made the top 100 without playing a MILB game.

I expect the top guys in a draft class to make the following top 100 list.  But top 70 seems  high for someone who was projected a few months ago as being the ninth selection in his draft class.

I expect the top other top picks at least engaged in baseball activities.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect the top guys in a draft class to make the following top 100 list.  But top 70 seems  high for someone who was projected a few months ago as being the ninth selection in his draft class.

I expect the top other top picks at least engaged in baseball activities.

I don’t have a BA subscription.  Of the players drafted in the top 9 last year, where are they on this list?

9 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

5, 62, 44, 37, 19, 57, 51, 85, 86.

FWIW Fangraphs had him 7 pre-draft

Well, if nine draftees made it than I have to admit 62 doesn't seem out of line, particularly since in reality the gap between 62 and 86 isn't significant.  I didn't expect that many draftees to make the list.

• Upvote 1