BA Releases Top 100 - 5 O's in top 70

LTO's

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well, if nine draftees made it than I have to admit 62 doesn't seem out of line, particularly since in reality the gap between 62 and 86 isn't significant.  I didn't expect that many draftees to make the list.

16 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

5, 62, 44, 37, 19, 57, 51, 85, 86.

FWIW Fangraphs had him 7 pre-draft

Yep.  That is what I was thinking would be the case.  I think the idea that they ranked him that highly just because he was ranked second would have merit if it wasn’t consistent with this info.

I think it also goes to show you how even the players were overall though.  Tork and Martin are the favorites (we will see on Martin, I’m personally a little skeptical) but everyone else is kind of bunched up.  Very little difference in these guys past the top 40 or 50.  So, while some may prefer this guy or that guy, Kjerstad is really right there with all of them, according to these bs rankings, outside of Tork and Martin.

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2021 at 10:30 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Nice.

I find it interesting that Heston Kjerstad is ranked that highly. 

I don't think he was that well regarded before the draft and he certainly didn't do anything after the draft.  Just a reaction to being drafted 1-2?

I think he is generally considered to have a reasonably attainable above average floor.  I think the surprise with the draft pick was that some people may have not projected that high a ceiling for him, and generally teams go for ceilings that high in the draft.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

They would have to be extremely high on his bat to rate him that high as a right handed 1B/DH.

I agree.  And, as you said earlier, they must think he can stick in LF.  I do too and that justifies the higher placement.  But, we have Hays and Santander with Diaz, Kjerstaj and others in the wings.  So, while he could be an average LF'er, he may have a better fit with this team at 1B.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I agree.  And, as you said earlier, they must think he can stick in LF.  I do too and that justifies the higher placement.  But, we have Hays and Santander with Diaz, Kjerstaj and others in the wings.  So, while he could be an average LF'er, he may have a better fit with this team at 1B.

Yea and BP isn’t rating him based off of our system.  Just simply that they think he can stay in LF.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I'd rather look at some other options before I put him at first.

I'd much rather keep players at the more valuable defensive position if possible.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather look at some other options before I put him at first.

I'd much rather keep players at the more valuable defensive position if possible.

I agree.  Santander could be traded to open right field for Diaz or Kjerstad and add prospects to the system.  Diaz might not pan out.  Plenty of moving parts.  Good to have options.

• 2 weeks later...