Heyman: Braves kicking tires on Mancini

LookinUp

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably Atlanta thinking they can get him cheaply.  It’s worth the call.

Nothing likely to come of it.

But if they offer enough, of course you trade him.  Just because he had cancer, doesn’t mean you can’t trade him.  It’s not like you are ending his baseball career.  If anything, you are helping him.

Exactly. A PR hit would have been on tendering him. Trading him from a last place to first place team would be helping his career.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Without doing something truly disturbing can fan opinion of the franchise get lower? 

That's my point. Elias is running the teams as he needs to, from an informed baseball opinion. The Bros? I still have hope but opinions vary. At least ME is still in charge of everything baseball (except Davis. Is what THAT is...)

"Angelosii"... that's pretty funny! Whoever first posted it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CarrRun49 said:

I personally believe they would laugh at us if we're asking for a top 10 guy. 

I wouldn’t trade him for less.    

My guess is the Braves heard about all the cost-cutting the O’s were doing and “kicked the tires” to see if Mancini was available at a fire sale price.   Hopefully, he’s not.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d be asking for 1 of their top 6, 1 in the top 15, and 2 others. 

But, you have to wonder what the money issues and missed season have hurt his value. I’d imagine they’d probably want to examine him beyond having their people look at his medical records concerning his strength and conditioning.

I don’t think this a guy the Orioles should just give away.

Id ask for Drew Waters, Tucker Davidson , maybe Spencer Strider , and a DSLkid.

Waters is a highly ranked, well thought of guy.  If Mancini wasn’t coming off cancer, I don’t think you get Waters.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My guess is the Braves heard about all the cost-cutting the O’s were doing and “kicked the tires” to see if Mancini was available at a fire sale price.   Hopefully, he’s not.  

I've not looked at the Braves system but yea, a return centered around a guy that didn't make their top 10 list would be disappointing.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You took a portion of my post to make your point.  I said I would move him if it included a guy like Waters (Their #2, Consensus top 50 overall).

Muller, DeLaCruz and Vaughn Grissom would be my ask.

That is 2 top 10 guys (lower half of the top 10) and 1 top 20ish guy who is far away but has good upside.  Grissom could end up being the prize.

Im not going to sell Mancini cheaply but not asking for upper echelon guys either.  I’d be content on holding on Mancini if we can’t get something like that.

1 hour ago, CarrRun49 said:

I personally believe they would laugh at us if we're asking for a top 10 guy.  

Well they shouldn't, even if they don't want to do the deal, considering the Josh Bell trade serving as a comp. Wil Crowe was a top-5ish prospect for the Nats and would have been in the back half of the top-10 (or just outside of it) in the Braves deep system.

I don't see it happening. I believe they kicked the tires trying to get him for pennies on the dollar given his missed year and the Orioles slashing payroll, but he has more value to the Orioles right now than the Braves.

It's a bad look after the year he went through to trade him (even if it does make business sense). That PR hit has to be considered. Because of that, I would want full value based on 2019 and I don't think Atlanta would do that.

As noted previously in this thread, I think this conversation plays out better mid-season. If he shows himself 85%+ of what he was in 2019 and the Orioles deal him then, it's a much better look. Particularly because the price is likely to be higher.

That said, of course, Mancini is not off limits. If Atlanta offered something like Braden Shewmake (as some have suggested) and someone like Bryce Elder, I'd do the deal, but I'm not optimistic that is realistic.

Mancini doesn't seem like a great fit for Atlanta unless part of the allure is his ability to play 1B as insurance if Freeman walks, but Mancini is not a good OF option. If the DH is announced for 2021 (which seems to not be the case as of now), it makes some sense, but Santander is a better fit. I hope the Orioles and Braves have discussed Santander as well.

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

I don't see it happening. I believe they kicked the tires trying to get him for pennies on the dollar given his missed year and the Orioles slashing payroll, but he has more value to the Orioles right now than the Braves.

It's a bad look after the year he went through to trade him (even if it does make business sense). That PR hit has to be considered. Because of that, I would want full value based on 2019 and I don't think Atlanta would do that.

As noted previously in this thread, I think this conversation plays out better mid-season. If he shows himself 85%+ of what he was in 2019 and the Orioles deal him then, it's a much better look. Particularly because the price is likely to be higher.

That said, of course, Mancini is not off limits. If Atlanta offered something like Braden Shewmake (as some have suggested) and someone like Bryce Elder, I'd do the deal, but I'm not optimistic that is realistic.

Mancini doesn't seem like a great fit for Atlanta unless part of the allure is his ability to play 1B as insurance if Freeman walks, but Mancini is not a good OF option. If the DH is announced for 2021 (which seems to not be the case as of now), it makes some sense, but Santander is a better fit. I hope the Orioles and Braves have discussed Santander as well.

How so?

16 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Why is it a bad look to trade him because he had cancer?