Non-roster invitations

Just Regular

I haven't seen our list yet, but understandably slower with the plan for staggered camps.   I think on some level the invite or not is a hint if you have a shot to make Norfolk in April for precious game reps?

Last year, Trezza had the laundry list on January 28, a group that got as low as Wells/Bannon/McCoy off the 40-man roster then, and basically a total of half of the Top 30 in a full camp.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-announce-23-non-roster-invitees

Pitchers and catchers being two weeks away, some of these housekeeping choices could be getting out soon.  

On Jan 16th I posted this list based on who was at the Alternate Site last season plus some players that have been added.  The O's have not announced anything, so this is just a guess.

Pitchers

41. Fernando Abad

42.  Kyle Bradish

43. Thomas Eshelman

44. DL Hall

45. Eric Hanhold

46. Wade LeBlanc

47. Evan Phillips

48. Grayson Rodriguez

49. Kevin Smith

Catchers

50. Nick Ciuffo

51. Taylor Davis

52. Adley Rutschman 

53.  Austin Wynns

Infielders 

54. Gunnar Henderson

55. Terrin Vavra   (infielder/outfielder)

56. Stevie Wilkerson ( Infielder/outfielder

57. Jordan Westburg

Outfielders

58. Heston Kjerstad

59.Chris Shaw

And more to come.

• Upvote 1

I have to imagine all the unknowns to the start of the major league season as well the possible split start to the minors could affect the people invited:

Sayin that, these are some people under contract right now who could get invites in my opinion:

Pitchers:
Tom Eshleman
Kevin Smith
Kyle Bradish
Conner Greene
Marcos Diplan
Fernando Abad
Claudio Custodio
Zach Muckenhirn

Catchers
Austin Wynns
Taylor Davis
Nick Ciuffo
Adley Rutschman

1st Base
Chris Shaw

Utility
Steve Wilkerson
Terrin Vavra

Now typically the Orioles pull over multiple minor league players not on official invites and this year it might be weird depending on whether they can employ an advanced minor league camp like they've done in the past.

Did I miss anyone obvious?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The only problem with Hall is that he's likely to be slated for a level below AAA.  Spring training for those players has been delayed.  I'm not sure if teams are allowed to bring those players to the MLB spring training site.

Yep. Plus Hall is a the kind of the guy the Orioles have not normally brought in as an official non-roster invitee at this point, but normally brings them over for games. It will be interesting to see if teams expand their non roster invites to get more prospects into camp for more work.

If so, this would bare well for guys like Kjerstad, Henderson, Westburg maybe guys like Hall.

38 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The only problem with Hall is that he's likely to be slated for a level below AAA.  Spring training for those players has been delayed.  I'm not sure if teams are allowed to bring those players to the MLB spring training site.

Rutschman is scheduled to begin the season at AA.  So  you don't think he will be in ST on Feb 17th?