Trezza: What is the plan for Rutschman?

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The exact same thing could be said about Ben McDonald.

Whatever sting there was with McDonald not living up to his hype was more than compensated for by the next year’s pick, Mike Mussina, vastly outperforming what you expect from the 20th pick in the draft.    If a team had a 1:1 and a 1:20 back to back and came away with McDonald and Mussina, they’d take that 100 times out of 100.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Whatever sting there was with McDonald not living up to his hype was more than compensated for by the next year’s pick, Mike Mussina, vastly outperforming what you expect from the 20th pick in the draft.    If a team had a 1:1 and a 1:20 back to back and came away with McDonald and Mussina, they’d take that 100 times out of 100.   

And the O's had a similar situation with Wieters and Machado. 

33 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Jeffrey Hammonds falls into that category, too, IMO.  I really thought that he would be a superstar.

Moreso than Wieters and McDonald, I think injuries really had a huge negative impact on Hammonds' career.   Definitely a big disappointment.

57 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The AA thing makes sense in a normal season but he is going to have two and a half months of spring training before the AA season starts. 

ME has talked about slow playing when some guys are brought into camp. Kinda like last year's alternate site. Allowed 60 players, he didn't fill that right away for flexibility (plus we could lose a player if he was dropped.) Didn't fill the roster till mid-season or so.

Still you're right, it will be a LONG ST if guys are brought in too soon.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But even so, he had a decent career, played for a lot longer than most of us think.

He actually ended his career with the first year Washington Nationals in 2005. I was at one of the last games he ever played in, he got a walk off RBI hit in the bottom of the 9th at RFK stadium to win 1-0.

6 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

My question is if he becomes Matt Weiters part 2, is that good enough?

Well... yes. As has been said, lofty expectations aside Matt had a very good career. And we might hit the jackpot with other prospects. Matt was kind of expected to be the pillar of everything. Adley is expected to be only one pillar.