Update: Matt Harvey added to 40-man roster

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, interloper said:

You're probably right - what are some? I just can't think of too many SP who came over and got better I guess.

All younger guys though. I see them more as things finally clicked moreso than they reclaimed their careers. If Harvey ends up pitching to like a 4ish ERA, it will be a wild success considering how far he's fallen. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Cesar Valdez, Darren O'Day. 

Not too many formerly great pitchers bounce back anywhere, not necessarily an Orioles thing.

Yeah it wasn't really a criticism at the O's in particular, just like, it's rare overall. Valdez reminds me of Bradford with the A's, seeing value where others didn't. Love it. 

Not sure if you count it, but Tommy Milone pitched 6 starts for the O's last year with a sub-4 ERA/FIP and they were able to trade him for real-life human minor leaguers at the deadline. Fringe prospects, granted, but I think it fits the general theme considering he was signed on a MiL deal.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not just starting pitchers, but reclamation projects:

Joe Coleman
Bob Boyd
Jim Gentile (acquired at 26 for Willy Miranda and $50k)
Robin Roberts (released by Yanks after they'd acquired him for nothing from Phils after going 1-10, 5.85.  Won 42 games for O's)
Moe Drabowsky (6-18, 5.15 two years prior to coming to Baltimore)
Mickey Tettleton was signed after he'd been released by Oakland after hitting .194
Kevin Hickey
Randy Milligan picked up at age 27 for Pete Blohm
Sam Horn had a 122 OPS+ for the O's after the Sox released him
Mike Flanagan (1991 edition) 2.38 ERA in 98 innings after released by Jays
Rick Sutcliffe was injured most of '90-91 before winning 26 games in Baltimore at ages 36-37
Fernando started 31 games for the '93 Orioles after having been out of the majors for almost two years
Jamie Moyer spent his entire age 29 season in AAA before the O's picked him up
Scott Kamieniecki allowed 30 runs in 22 innings at age 32 for the Yanks before going 10-6, 4.01 for the O's
Jose Mercedes 14-7, 4.02 after having been out of the majors for almost two years
David Newhan was a 30-year-old AAA-opt-out before becoming Ty Cobb for six weeks
Todd Williams was very good for a couple seasons after being basically a 33-year-old rookie
Nate McLouth

I wouldn't count JJ Hardy as a reclamation project, but we basically traded some nobodies for him and he was the cornerstone of that great infield defense. 

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Brach was actually acquired from San Diego for Devin Jones, a former ninth round pick from Mississippi State who was coming of a mediocre season in 2013 as a 22 year-old starter for Bowie after a couple decent season in the lower minors. Jones was then even worse the following year with San Diego's AA team before the Orioles re-signed him in 2015 for three bad appearances in Frederick before he ended up out of baseball.

Beach was placed on waivers before we traded for him if I recall, but he still counts as a gamble gone good.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

Ok so now the 40 is full? Or one more space available with CD on the 60-man?

CD hasn't been placed on any IL yet.

Roster is at 40.

Placing Davis on the 60 would free up a space.

Returning either of the Rule 5 guys would free up a space.

And there are still some guys on the 40 man that very few of us would miss if they were cut.   And they aren't all named Davis.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os have had their share of reclamation projects work for them over the years.

Depends what kind of reclamation project you’re talking about.   There’s been several relatively young “never were’s” like Rodrigo López, Jeremy Guthrie and Miguel Gonzalez who were productive for us after we pulled them from the scrap heap.   But I can’t think of many guys who were once good, fell on hard times, then rebounded with the Orioles.   Certainly I’d put Nate McLouth in that camp.   

I was aware of Harvey when he was "the Dark Knight" in NY but really didn't follow him.  

Don't know if he was always like this or a lack of success humbled him a bit but...

I just listened to his press conference from today and I'm really pulling for him. 

Ok, so maybe 75% of it is to see what prospect we can get back for him but 25% wouldn't be upset if he was successful and here next year.