Who has something to prove in ST?

wildcard

Here is how I see the competition is ST before the games begin.

Starting pitching:    Felix Hernandez and Matt Harvey have spots if they can prove they have something left.   Valdez is the first backup starter if they can't.   He has a spot in the pen otherwise.   Lopez is working with Holt of improve his pitches to show he can start or be a swingman.  He has the arm.  He is out of options.

Means, Kremer, Akin have spots.  Theirs to lose.

Pen:  Sceroller and Tyler Wells will try to show they have too much potential to be let go.  Middle and long relief is where they fit if they stay.  They will be competing with Lopez.   Lakins and Sulser have options  and can fill in if needed

Scott, Tate, Hunter Harvey, Fry, Armstrong, Valdez have  spots.

Position players are pretty set:   Mancini, Davis, Sanchez, Galvis, Ruiz, Valaika, Severino, Sisco, Santander, Mullins, Hays, Mountcastle and Stewart.  Elias will be looking on the waiver wire for an upgrade at 3rd.

On the bubble:   Goudeau, Lopez and Urias if 40 man roster spots are needed.

How do you see it?

• Upvote 2

If Chris Davis unfortunately incurs a dreaded ST injury, would we do a 9th reliever?

If we see anything we like in Sceroler and T. Wells, they are easy holds over Lakins/Sulser for me.   But last year we were excited about the pair of Rule 5 picks and Elias ended up on, "We're good".  If Davis healthy, Holt might have to pick between M. Harvey or Lopez for his last guy.  

Reliever 9/10/11/12, just so long as there are options, they are ALL on the team. 

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see Valaika’s spot as that secure, if someone shows they can back up SS better than he can.  I’d give him a 75% chance of making the OD roster.  

I was thinking that Sanchez could backup SS according what Elias hinted when Sanchez was signed.  But Hyde just said in the last few days that he will play 2B and may get some time at 3B.  No mention of SS.

As long as Martin is projected to begin the season at AAA, I guess the only other alternative to Valaika in camp is Mejias-Brean.  Of course, Elias could bring in someone else.

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Same as ever. Who makes the backend of the starting rotation and longman roles. I would assume the organization already has a plan and they will go with the plan unless there is an injury. They should already know what these guys are capable of. 

Agreed, I’m glad the org has progressed to a point where we don’t need to rely on improvements shown in the spring to determine the roster.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think?

I think he's done a heck of a job keeping expectations very low. 

Not sure how bad things would have to get this year for him to get any heat.

100 losses? That would probably turn up the heat a little.

We should be somewhat better this year. I'm hopeful for 70 wins.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Same as ever. Who makes the backend of the starting rotation and longman roles. I would assume the organization already has a plan and they will go with the plan unless there is an injury. They should already know what these guys are capable of. 

david-byrne-arm-1373309237.gif

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think?

I think he's done a heck of a job keeping expectations very low. 

Not sure how bad things would have to get this year for him to get any heat.

Speaking for myself, next year is the year I’m expecting major improvement.    This year I’ll be happy if they don’t backslide too far from their .417 winning percentage from last year.  

I think the two Rule 5 pitchers and Lopez have the most on the line. 

I would not be shocked to see Akin go down to AAA if they like what they see from the 3 vets. Not like he is going to have 30 starts this year anyway. Not saying they are doing this for service time but perhaps to manage his innings and give the 3 vets and/or Rule 5 guys a look.