Mlb.com O's Opening Day Roster (Trezza)

Aristotelian

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Cross these guys off the list:

”The first round of cuts was made today, with the Orioles reassigning catcher Brett Cumberland, infielder Mason McCoy, right-hander Marcos Diplán and left-handers Josh Rogers and Zach Muckenhirn to Twin Lakes camp.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/wrapping-up-means-start-defense-cuts-and-13-1-loss.html

No surprises there.   

So Ryan Ripken still has a shot?  Makes sense, with Davis hurt they will be looking for someone to match his production.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Elias’ goal is to amass talent. With that in mind, he’s going to keep one of the R5s, and my current vote is for Wells.

Didn't stop him last year from sending back the 2 Rule 5's - who arguably had more potential than this year's pair.

18 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's worse than fluff, Trezza apparently doesn't even know there's a 26 man roster this year.

That being said, it might not be too far off.  Add DJ as a 26th guy, replace Felix with someone who can throw 89, and it will probably be pretty close.

DJ Stewart is making the team and he'll be the primary DH, especially against righties. Davis will start on the IL.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So Ryan Ripken still has a shot?  Makes sense, with Davis hurt they will be looking for someone to match his production.

Lol.. The Ryan Ripken thing cracks me up every year. It honestly boggles almost everyone's mind as well, especially this year when he was given a minor league invite. Guess that Ripken name still carries some weight because it has nothing to do with him as an actual baseball player.

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol.. The Ryan Ripken thing cracks me up every year. It honestly boggles almost everyone's mind as well, especially this year when he was given a minor league invite. Guess that Ripken name still carries some weight because it has nothing to do with him as an actual baseball player.

but, but, but YAZ!!!

It is still way too early to be definitive about nearly half of the pitcher spots. We just do not know what will happen in the next month. I do care, maybe a moderate amount, about the OD roster, but I am certainly more concerned about how it looks in August. I had nothing to do, so I'll take a shot at it.

The following seem solid bets:

1B - Trey Mancini

2B - #Yolmer Sanchez

SS - #Freddy Galvis

3B - *Rio Ruiz

UT - Pat Valaika

C - Pedro Severino, *Chance Sisco

OF - Austin Hays, *Cedric Mullins, Ryan Mountcastle, #Anthony Santander 

SP - John Means, Dean Kremer, Keegan Akin

Pen - Cesar Valdez, Hunter Harvey, Tanner Scott, Paul Fry, Shawn Armstrong (Harvey, Fry and Scott all have at least one option remaining)

That accounts for 11 position players and 8 pitchers so far, 19 total. 

It seems pretty solid that if Chris Davis is on the IL to begin the season, DJ Stewart makes the team and gets a lot of DH at bats. Ramon Urias gets my vote to be the 13th position player as a UT if we keep only 13 pitchers. Urias can really hit gap to gap, but his glove work at SS is suspect. I think they keep him for now and keep working him next to Galvis and Sanchez every day to see if he can grow. His hands are suspect to me sometimes, and then he makes a very slick play to make me scratch my head. 

Jahmai Jones, Rylan Bannon and Tyler Nevin all go down with Richie Martin to AAA. They all have things to work on and there is no need for any of them to sit on the bench in Baltimore right now. 

The other starting pitcher candidates are: (Need 2, maybe 3)

• Felix Hernandez - (NRI) 
  • Matt Harvey - (NRI) 
  • *Wade LeBlanc - (NRI)
  • Jorge Lopez - Out of Options
  • *Bruce Zimmermann - 3 options remaining

The other pen candidates are: (Need 3, maybe 4)

• Travis Lakins Sr. (2 options)
  • Dillon Tate (2 options)
  • Cole Sulser (3 options)
  • Isaac Mattson (3 options)
  • Mac Sceroler (R5)
  • Tyler Wells (R5)
  • (Jorge Lopez)
  • (*Bruce Zimmermann)
  • Ashton Goudeau - (2 options)
  • *Fernando Abad (NRI)
  • Eric Hanhold (2 options)
  • Cody Carroll (1 option)

We all know it is early and a lot can happen. (The bolded names are my 26 picks.) Right now, I have Felix Hernandez and Matt Harvey filling out the rotation. Hernandez' health concerns me with his year of inactivity and velo drop, but he is crafty enough to get by for now and see what his velo does in the next month or two. Harvey will likely get a chance to go North so Holt can see what he can do to turn him into an asset. If any starter is injured or falters completely, LeBlanc would likely get a shot. But I see him on the outside, looking in, for now.

I would rather have Zimmermann get an opportunity to start over one of them, but keeping him as a long man will get him a chance to break through and get a spot start here and there. Hyde seems to like Lakins and Sulser, so I give them the nod over Tate for now. Tate should be on the shuttle this year since he, Mattson, Lakins, Sulser and Zimmermann have option flexibility. The wildcard here is Abad. If Abad throws really well, do they keep four lefties in the pen? IDK. And he certainly has no roster flexibility, but he may be a commodity in June/July. Hunter Harvey, Fry and Scott all have options too, but I do not expect any of them to be sent down

I think Lopez will be cut. He will still tantalize, at times, and he'll aggravate with his ability to find the middle of the plate at other times. I think he is soft. No options, no room for his lack of command.

The Rule 5 guys will get a solid look, I think, but they will be returned. I think they are both intriguing profiles, particularly Tyler Wells. But unless they trade for them, they are gone. We will need the two roster spots as well for Hernandez and Matt Harvey.

There is a good likelihood that Elias picks up a waiver claim between now and the end of Spring. Secretly, that is what we are all waiting for. ;)

Wild prediction...The first catcher called up from AAA? Nick Sciuffo comes up when the Orioles need him to replace Sisco. Either for injury, or they just grow tired of his lack of energy and ability to be a major league catcher. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

It is still way too early to be definitive about nearly half of the pitcher spots. We just do not know what will happen in the next month. I do care, maybe a moderate amount, about the OD roster, but I am certainly more concerned about how it looks in August. I had nothing to do, so I'll take a shot at it.

Really good post here. I think you nailed it though I'm still hoping Zimmermann makes the rotation and one of Harvey/Hernandez goes to the pen as a long guy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Really good post here. I think you nailed it though I'm still hoping Zimmermann makes the rotation and one of Harvey/Hernandez goes to the pen as a long guy. 

It’s going to be really ironic if Zimmermann joins Means as a mainstay of our rotation.    Talk about two unhyped prospects!   It would be cool to see Zimmermann make the most of his abilities, he’s come a long way since we acquired him.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1