Yankees Need Catching Depth

ScGO's

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Sisco and Scott for Andujar and what else? That could be a deal to look into.

This afternoon, I was going to jokingly post that the Orioles could complete the trade of Sisco for Andujar by adding Gray Fenter to sweeten the deal as soon as they get him back. Guess they can pick up the phone now.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

This afternoon, I was going to jokingly post that the Orioles could complete the trade of Sisco for Andujar by adding Gray Fenter to sweeten the deal as soon as they get him back. Guess they can pick up the phone now.

Sisco has no value. But if we can trade him for something, I’m all for it! 

44 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m late to the party. Who is Jasson, and why is he more desirable than AR?

18 year old Yankees OF that to my knowledge has yet to play pro ball. Has kind of a Rickey Henderson build and is 5'10 5'11. Supposedly high exit velocities. I think thats all anyone knows. 

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

18 year old Yankees OF that to my knowledge has yet to play pro ball. Has kind of a Rickey Henderson build and is 5'10 5'11. Supposedly high exit velocities. I think thats all anyone knows. 

Ummmmmm Then I’m going to jump in to the fray on the side of the people who think they’re making a trade like that is… Unwise.

Remember kids, if Dan would do it, then you shouldn’t!

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I favor Rutschman over Dominguez but I don’t think this is a good argument.    The CBA creates completely different market conditions for foreign vs. domestic players.   

Well I'll lose sleep tonight knowing you don't like my argument. lol

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're right, Frobito, I can't dispute that.  

Then again, college ball and A ball aren't always direct indicators, are they?  You said it yourself, AA would be a better indicator for Adley.  And that's all I'm saying.  You're right, there's slightly more information out there about Adley than there is Dominguez.  I just don't think the information is all that great.  Lots of college players rake and don't make it in the big leagues.  I don't think you dispute that, either.

Moose, you have dug yourself so far of a hole with nonsense that it just might be time to just take a deep breath, and realize some of your statements do border on the ridiculous in this argument. I'm fairly certain you would even argue with yourself in this thread. lol 

You have every right to not like Rutschman because he's a catcher (hating on catchers is one of the most insane things I've seen on here, but then again, we live in a crazy world right now), but to suggest a sure fire #1 overall selection out of college has the same risk factor as an 18-year old 5-foot-10 Dominican who has never even played an inning in the DSL takes the cake for exaggerated statements to support an argument.

Saying A-ball stats mean nothing is also borderline crazy. Do AA stats mean more, certainly, but to suggest players can't be evaluated before AA is just not true. 

Obvious all success before the majors are just indications of what they will do in the majors and not 100% sure fire results. But the fact is we have seen Rutschman play against major leaguers in SSS and not look out of place. We have reports that he was the best hitter in Bowie last year against pitchers who have pitchers in the majors or did pitch in the majors. We have a lot of information that makes Rutschman's risk factor much, much lower, which is why he's the #2 prospect in all of baseball by every major prospect ranking outlet.

It's 100 percent fine to have the opinion that it's a "no-brainer" to trade Rutschman for Dominguez, but realize you are in the very small minority that think that way and I doubt any GM or scout would say the same thing.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Moose, you have dug yourself so far of a hole with nonsense that it just might be time to just take a deep breath, and realize some of your statements do border on the ridiculous in this argument. I'm fairly certain you would even argue with yourself in this thread. lol 

You have every right to not like Rutschman because he's a catcher (hating on catchers is one of the most insane things I've seen on here, but then again, we live in a crazy world right now), but to suggest a sure fire #1 overall selection out of college has the same risk factor as an 18-year old 5-foot-10 Dominican who has never even played an inning in the DSL takes the cake for exaggerated statements to support an argument.

Saying A-ball stats mean nothing is also borderline crazy. Do AA stats mean more, certainly, but to suggest players can't be evaluated before AA is just not true. 

Obvious all success before the majors are just indications of what they will do in the majors and not 100% sure fire results. But the fact is we have seen Rutschman play against major leaguers in SSS and not look out of place. We have reports that he was the best hitter in Bowie last year against pitchers who have pitchers in the majors or did pitch in the majors. We have a lot of information that makes Rutschman's risk factor much, much lower, which is why he's the #2 prospect in all of baseball by every major prospect ranking outlet.

It's 100 percent fine to have the opinion that it's a "no-brainer" to trade Rutschman for Dominguez, but realize you are in the very small minority that think that way and I doubt any GM or scout would say the same thing.

Tony, don't disagree with any of it, but it's still risk.  I'd still take AR to the airport in a trade for Dominguez.

A ball stats, small sample sizes, etc, reports from an alternate site where he played against major leaguers or did pitch in the majors...IMO, it's not much.  The alternative site reports are a nothingburger.  You know as well as I do that the guys who "were pitched in the majors" that were there weren't great competition.  It was taxi squad guys.

Again, he's not done it against higher level AA or AAA pitching.  You even said it yourself, AA stats certainly mean more.  You said it too, small sample sizes.  

This weird attachment to a #1 pick who really hasn't done much in the minors (again, not his fault that Covid wiped out a whole minor league season) with people clinging to small sample sizes, anecdotes from a alternate site and a college career that he's 2 years removed from is overrated to me.  I will agree with you that A Ball stats provide some insight but no one can extrapolate if someone is going to be a good major leaguer based on A ball stats.  

Here's a hypothetical:  let's say we didn't draft AR in 2019, say the Royals did.  And we drafted Bobby Witt Jr last year.  Would we be interested in trading Witt Jr for AR?  Probably not, we'd have an allegiance to Bobby Witt Jr because OMG HE'S THE FUTURE.  And why would you trade a SS for a catcher anyway?  At the end of the day, we're rooting for laundry, just like Seinfeld said. 

Once again, I hope AR has a great career.  I hope he becomes the player we all think he can be.  But as for now, small sample sizes (the same small sample sizes we make fun of wildcard for) and alternate site reports?  Bro, I ain't impressed.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tony, don't disagree with any of it, but it's still risk.  I'd still take AR to the airport in a trade for Dominguez.

A ball stats, small sample sizes, etc, reports from an alternate site where he played against major leaguers or did pitch in the majors...IMO, it's not much.  The alternative site reports are a nothingburger.  You know as well as I do that the guys who "were pitched in the majors" that were there weren't great competition.  It was taxi squad guys.

Again, he's not done it against higher level AA or AAA pitching.  You even said it yourself, AA stats certainly mean more.  You said it too, small sample sizes.  

This weird attachment to a #1 pick who really hasn't done much in the minors (again, not his fault that Covid wiped out a whole minor league season) with people clinging to small sample sizes, anecdotes from a alternate site and a college career that he's 2 years removed from is overrated to me.  I will agree with you that A Ball stats provide some insight but no one can extrapolate if someone is going to be a good major leaguer based on A ball stats.  Yes 

Here's a hypothetical:  let's say we didn't draft AR in 2019, say the Royals did.  And we drafted Bobby Witt Jr last year.  Would we be interested in trading Witt Jr for AR?  Probably not, we'd have an allegiance to Bobby Witt Jr because OMG HE'S THE FUTURE.  And why would you trade a SS for a catcher anyway?  At the end of the day, we're rooting for laundry, just like Seinfeld said. 

Once again, I hope AR has a great career.  I hope he becomes the player we all think he can be.  But as for now, small sample sizes (the same small sample sizes we make fun of wildcard for) and alternate site reports?  Bro, I ain't impressed.

Just wanna say that I love me some OH chatter and because of you guys, I had a dream in which no other than Bobby Witt, Jr. appeared.  He was dressed in black and from what I could tell, he really worked hard at his craft.  He was actually very secure with his OPS and fit in well with his big name brethren.  Just sayin'. @Tony-OH ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think you are discounting the huge amount of risk with Jasson.  Sure he has some amazing tools but so did Bubba Starling.

Barring injury Adley is a lock to be a plus defensive catcher with the ability to run into one and put it over the fence.

The difference is floor.

I don't disagree.  

Still driving AR to the airport.  Because in the words of Kenny Powers "...but I am not going to stop yelling, because then that would mean I lost the fight."

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This weird attachment to a #1 pick who really hasn't done much in the minors (again, not his fault that Covid wiped out a whole minor league season) with people clinging to small sample sizes, anecdotes from a alternate site and a college career that he's 2 years removed from is overrated to me.  

Moose, there’s no “weird attachment” here.   There’s nothing weird about preferring the consensus 1-1 pick, who lots of analysts said was the clearest no. 1 overall pick in about a decade, over some 18-year old who hasn’t played at nearly as high a level.    

As to Rutschman’s 2019 stats, I was not overwhelmed and don’t think an .894 OPS at Aberdeen is any more meaningful than his .594 at Delmarva or .607 in the GCL.    The whole sample size is so small that it tells me almost nothing.   But the scouting consensus on Rutschman is so strong that to me he’s a stud until proven otherwise, rather than the reverse.   

In any event I’m just crossing my fingers that the MiL season is not further delayed and Rutschman actually gets the chance to show us he’s the stud that the experts think he is.