Yankees Need Catching Depth

ScGO's

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here's a hypothetical:  let's say we didn't draft AR in 2019, say the Royals did.  And we drafted Bobby Witt Jr last year.  Would we be interested in trading Witt Jr for AR?  Probably not, we'd have an allegiance to Bobby Witt Jr because OMG HE'S THE FUTURE.  And why would you trade a SS for a catcher anyway? 

Apples to oranges to your original argument considering, again, that both of these guys have faced pro pitching, but I imagine a lot of people would make that trade. I’d be in favor. I have no idea why you think catchers aren’t valuable. It’s quite bizarre. It’s possibly the most important position defensively. Buster Posey had the highest WAR on every Giants World Series team. Joe Mauer consistently led some very good Twins teams in WAR. Hell, even Matt Wieters led the Os in 2011 and 2012 and was on pace in 2014. Catcher is a very, very important position defensively and teams are having a very difficult time finding plus defenders who can hit at all. If Adley lives up to his scouting reports, you have an extremely valuable player. It’s not like the Orioles would be able to afford either him or Witt if they warrant a mega deal so who cares.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Moose, there’s no “weird attachment” here.   There’s nothing weird about preferring the consensus 1-1 pick, who lots of analysts said was the clearest no. 1 overall pick in about a decade, over some 18-year old who hasn’t played at nearly as high a level.    

As to Rutschman’s 2019 stats, I was not overwhelmed and don’t think an .894 OPS at Aberdeen is any more meaningful than his .594 at Delmarva or .607 in the GCL.    The whole sample size is so small that it tells me almost nothing.   But the scouting consensus on Rutschman is so strong that to me he’s a stud until proven otherwise, rather than the reverse.   

In any event I’m just crossing my fingers that the MiL season is not further delayed and Rutschman actually gets the chance to show us he’s the stud that the experts think he is.   

There is 100% an attachment here and there is no doubt that is playing into things.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is 100% an attachment here and there is no doubt that is playing into things.

That's the thing I appreciate about you, SG.  You're cold blooded.  You'd trade your own mother if it meant building a winning team.

I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who recognizes the attachment factor.

Meanwhile in reality, baseball's number 2 prospect Adley Rutschman just prevented the O's from getting no hit by lacing a double to right center after a ten pitch at bat. Fouled off 3 straight 97 mph fastballs before crushing a slider off the wall. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Ah, one of those meaningful spring training at bats.  Let's start creating his plaque in Cooperstown.

5 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

Moose would trade AR for an 18 year old who has never played a professional game of any kind. He has also declared Kjerstad a bust after exactly zero professional games. If  Moose was the GM of a team with publicly trade stock, what a great short opportunity!

I was half kidding when I said Kjerstad was a bust.  I did say he's off to a pretty bad start here.  Anyone want to quibble with that? 

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ah, one of those meaningful spring training at bats.  Let's start creating his plaque in Cooperstown.

I was half kidding when I said Kjerstad was a bust.  I did say he's off to a pretty bad start here.  Anyone want to quibble with that? 

He hasn't even made an out as a pro.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What's the point of making that argument?  He's the consensus #2 prospect in baseball.  And of course the O's are committed to his success - as they should be.    

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Got it. A non- start is a bad start when you’re the second pick in the draft. He’s undoubtedly more frustrated than we are