How much do you put into Spring Training stats?

Legend_Of_Joey

I don’t completely disregard the traditional Spring stats, but almost. Ruiz had two doubles yesterday, one was an easy fly ball that should have been caught but got lost in the sun. The other was well struck and bounced off the track in the gap and into the stands. Some of the better pitching lines were against guys who will be in the minors soon.

I will say it is troubling if the pitchers are always behind in the count, walk a lot of guys, or get wild in the middle of the zone. Particularly if these pitchers are doing this from here until the end of Spring. Also troubling is if hitters are chasing pitches out of the zone regularly. This is the time when they need to clean things up. This is when the regulars start playing longer and have more normal at bats. This is when the pitchers have had time to get loose and work on some things, and now it’s time to get more dialed in. Some guys look bad in Spring, but they flip a switch in the regular season and all is good. I am just glad to have baseball back.

For one thing, it depends whether you’re talking about a player with a track record vs. a young player or some old guy trying to bounce back from injury or a couple of years of decline.   Pretty sure that from 2009-14 I never worried much about how Markakis or Jones was hitting in spring training.     But some other guys I might have cared a little, though obviously you’d really want to rely mostly on how the guy is looking, both in game play and the back fields.  

For me, the smaller # of say, MLB at bats, the more stock I  put into Spring Training data.  And for those rookies who are trying to become Major Leaguers,  it is very  important on whether they make the team at all, etc. A veteran with a proven record of several years in the Majors,  is not nearly as important to me, how they do in Spring Training.  Of course we all wanted to bat 1.000% and Pitchers to strike out everyone, but in the real world these things do not happen.   

1 minute ago, Oriole1940 said:

For me, the smaller # of say, MLB at bats, the more stock I  put into Spring Training data.  And for those rookies who are trying to become Major Leaguers,  it is very  important on whether they make the team at all, etc. A veteran with a proven record of several years in the Majors,  is not nearly as important to me, how they do in Spring Training.  Of course we all wanted to bat 1.000% and Pitchers to strike out everyone, but in the real world these things do not happen.   

I think that in almost all cases they know who is making the team before camp starts, especially when it comes to younger players.

I don't think Daiz, for example, can do anything to make the team out of Spring if it had already been decided he was going to get sent down.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

For one thing, it depends whether you’re talking about a player with a track record vs. a young player or some old guy trying to bounce back from injury or a couple of years of decline.

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

For me, the smaller # of say, MLB at bats, the more stock I  put into Spring Training data.  And for those rookies who are trying to become Major Leaguers,  it is very  important on whether they make the team at all, etc.

I'm with you. Rarely do ST stats mean anything to me. The regulars who are expected to make the team won't lose their spots if they have a bad Spring. The only issue for them breaking camp would be an injury concern.

But sometimes when we see a young player getting a good amount of time on the field, it could indicate that the coaches are considering bringing him north with the club. FTR: I think TWells makes the OD squad while Sceroler gets returned.