Looks like the Red Sox will be in play for Teixeira

nadecir

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teixeira is a player just about every Oriole fan wants and every Oriole fan knows, his draw and effect would be unique to the area. Tex won't sell more tickets in Boston or NY. But he sure will in Baltimore.

I'm not saying Tex wouldn't sell any extra tickets, but I doubt he'd be a huge draw. I think there are very few individual players who draw a significant number fans to games. Yes he'd be more of a draw in Baltimore than other places, but the effect he'd have here is greatly exaggerated by many posters here.

Just by way of example, Gavin Floyd pitched twice in Baltimore this season. The first time, the game drew 1,600 fans more than they did the previous night against the White Sox. The second time, the O's drew their smallest crowd of the three-game series on the night Floyd pitched.

When the team starts winning, it will draw better. If Angelos wants to improve attendance, the smartest thing he can do is spend his money in the most productive way on the field, regardless of whether the players are from Baltimore or Turkmenistan.

When we're talking about how much a team can spend, it's important to look at the cost as a proportion of revenues. The Yanks and Boston can amply afford to outbid us to such a degree that the real cost to them will still be less proportional to their revenues as our highest bid will be to our own revenue. We reach the point at which the deal does not make sense at a much lower figure than NY and Boston. They can outbid us with impunity. And will.

When we're talking about how much a team can spend, it's important to look at the cost as a proportion of revenues. The Yanks and Boston can amply afford to outbid us to such a degree that the real cost to them will still be less proportional to their revenues as our highest bid will be to our own revenue. We reach the point at which the deal does not make sense at a much lower figure than NY and Boston. They can outbid us with impunity. And will.

Yeah the Yankees and Red Sox could pay Teixeira 40 million a season if they wished, but the point is they won't. One it raises the salaries for all their future stars, and two because if salaries get so ridiculous, there will be a salary cap, and the Yankees and Red Sox would want to do everything to avoid that IMO. A-Rod is the benchmark, and no team will go past that IMO, unless that player is better than A-Rod. The Orioles can afford anything underneath 25 million a season for 8 years.

It's a combination of things. Why haven't we been serious or gone in on any FA? Notice we didn't tie up more money in Vlad, Delgado, Lee or Konerko. That's four years of not landing a top FA. The Orioles have been saving money, and I bet it was for Tex.

I don't doubt that the Orioles will express some interest in Teixiera this off season, but to suggest that the club would intentionally degrade its performance over the course of several years in preparation to bid on Tex's services (all the while ignoring the possibility he could sign an extension with his current team during that period), I think is a stretch.

Yeah the Yankees and Red Sox could pay Teixeira 40 million a season if they wished, but the point is they won't. One it raises the salaries for all their future stars, and two because if salaries get so ridiculous, there will be a salary cap, and the Yankees and Red Sox would want to do everything to avoid that IMO. A-Rod is the benchmark, and no team will go past that IMO, unless that player is better than A-Rod. The Orioles can afford anything underneath 25 million a season for 8 years.

I love how you say this with such conviction like you're sitting with their income statement, balance sheet, cash flows, etc.

It's a combination of things. Why haven't we been serious or gone in on any FA? Notice we didn't tie up more money in Vlad, Delgado, Lee or Konerko. That's four years of not landing a top FA. The Orioles have been saving money, and I bet it was for Tex.

Second, as I've pointed out and Belkast has pointed out, Angelos wants a winner ASAP because he's not getting any younger. He has nothing to gain from watching a rebuilding process. Tex is a huge step in getting a competitive team built. The Orioles already have the foundation with a strong bullpen and strong young offensive core and three top pitchers in the minors only a year away.

Teixeira is a player just about every Oriole fan wants and every Oriole fan knows, his draw and effect would be unique to the area. Tex won't sell more tickets in Boston or NY. But he sure will in Baltimore. He can be the spark to get people to watch MASN, and signing him would be a statement that the Orioles are serious about competing to the fans and to the players like Markakis and Roberts who have had to tolerate years of losing. He'd be the equivalent of when the Red Sox signed Manny Ramirez. That was a statement to he rest of the league that they were going for it. It was looked at as ridiculous money then, but lauded soon after.

Has belkast been informed that you two are preaching from the same pulpit?

The Boston Red Sox have already had internal conversations about going after Tex and have plenty of money to spend. See today's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2008/10/sox_now_look_a_little_soft_in.html

You would have to think the Red Sox would have to kick the tires on Tex, even if he is not a major focus of theirs. It drives the price up for other teams especially the Yankees. Also be prepared for the Scott Boras misinformation tour. Boras gets more money for his clients if he can play the Yankee, Met and Red Sox card in negotiations. Those team are the money factories and that helps Boras get max $$$ for his clients. As the negotiation start you will read many articles like this. It will be interesting to see if the Tex negotiations are long and drawn out like most of Boras's deals.

Giving Teix 25 million or more would absolutely cripple the O's. Teams like Boston, New York, LA & Chicago can get away with paying one or more players salaries like that because they can afford 200 million dollar payrolls.

The Orioles are a 2nd-tier market like Philadelphia, Houston, Atlanta, etc. We can afford $100 million dollar payroll, but not alot more than that, IMO. I highly doubt we will ever see the O's spending $120+ million on the payroll.

To give one player 1/4th of your projected max payroll would be beyond stupid.

I'd love to have Teix, but not if it takes a "blank check" to get him here. Much rather spend half as much and half the years on Dunn.

Second, as I've pointed out and Belkast has pointed out, Angelos wants a winner ASAP because he's not getting any younger. He has nothing to gain from watching a rebuilding process. Tex is a huge step in getting a competitive team built. The Orioles already have the foundation with a strong bullpen and strong young offensive core and three top pitchers in the minors only a year away.

Teixeira is a player just about every Oriole fan wants and every Oriole fan knows, his draw and effect would be unique to the area. Tex won't sell more tickets in Boston or NY. But he sure will in Baltimore. He can be the spark to get people to watch MASN, and signing him would be a statement that the Orioles are serious about competing to the fans and to the players like Markakis and Roberts who have had to tolerate years of losing. He'd be the equivalent of when the Red Sox signed Manny Ramirez. That was a statement to he rest of the league that they were going for it. It was looked at as ridiculous money then, but lauded soon after.

Thought this was hilarious....Both boston and nyy have alreayd sold out next year....

Archived