Eloy Jimenez out for 6 months...Santander?????//

Moose Milligan

Damn that sucks.

You definitely won’t be getting one of their top 4 guys.

Jared Kelley is potentially possible but I tend to doubt it.

Their farm system has taken a hit because of all the promotions but they are still middle of the road.  A player that is in their 5-10 range and another guy in the top 15 would likely be a solid trade.  

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like when the O's stuck Mancini in the outfield?

Yep, although at least Mancini had an entire spring training (and was notified at the end of the prior season) to work on playing the outfield, Andrew Vaughn was being penciled in as the Opening Day DH as recently as yesterday. If they think Vaughn could contribute in the outfield he should have gotten some spring training game time out there before March 26th.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Yep, although at least Mancini had an entire spring training to work on playing the outfield, Andrew Vaughn was being penciled in as the Opening Day DH as recently as yesterday. If they think Vaughn could contribute in the outfield he should have gotten some spring training game time out there before March 25th.

And they might have a new outfielder before the season starts.

I don't think what they are doing, in response to injury, is any worse than what the O's did.  At least they have injury as an excuse and not poor roster construction and hurr hurr dongs.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And they might have a new outfielder before the season starts.

I don't think what they are doing, in response to injury, is any worse than what the O's did.  At least they have injury as an excuse and not poor roster construction and hurr hurr dongs.

I'm not sure how athletic Vaughn is...he certainly looks like a well built, in shape guy but I'd be wary of sticking a guy who's a 1B/DH type into the outfield this quickly for fear of pulling a hamstring or a quad when there are other outfielders at your disposal in ST.  I'm sure they can run someone else out there and keep Vaughn at a position where he doesn't have to run as much.

• Upvote 1

I said this when the Marlins were reportedly interested in Santander a few months ago and my feelings have not changed since then: I would not trade Anthony Santander right now for anything less than a bonafide WOW offer.

Considering his age, his talent, his performance thus far, and his amount of remaining team control, I would want a legit haul for him. If they are unwilling to offer us said haul, I would be perfectly content to hold onto him for when we might be competitive again in another year or two.

(Looks like they are going with the Trumbo/Mancini/Mountcastle "stick 'em in the OF" strategy with Vaughn so it appears to be a moot point anyway)

• Upvote 1