A bunch of moves just announced

SteveA

6 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I don't really remember what he looked like last year, have no data on his weight at the two times... He's a BIG boy, but he doesn't look fat. I don't think. He's just a big, strapping guy.

I cut the cord years ago so I go off box scores and radio most the time. I’d have no idea if he really gained weight either. Either way he’ll definitely get a lot of chances to pitch better throughout the season

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It’s not just his stats.  Akin looked bad all spring.  He will get crushed right now.  I have no problem with this decision.

I'm genuinely curious and like I've said, I haven't watched him this spring so I really am interested in your answer.  What made him look bad?  I'm talking beyond results, was velocity down, was command all out of whack, etc.?  I wish I had a chance to watch and I'd appreciate insight from folks who watched him pitch this spring. 

12 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I don't really remember what he looked like last year, have no data on his weight at the two times... He's a BIG boy, but he doesn't look fat. I don't think. He's just a big, strapping guy.

I always thought David Wells was big as a house, but it never seemed to bother him.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

He got out pitched by his teammates. They have to put their money where their mouth is when they say it's a competition. Zimmermann and Lopez beat him. Pitch better and come to camp in shape. It is what it is.

Exactly! This is why you collect a ton of young talent. You have to earn the spot, the spot is not a given. The person who is playing the best gets the spots. The rebuild will not work if just same ole same ole get spots no matter what. What’s the incentive for those players who were brought in? 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Akin pitched himself off the team. He’ll be back, but he needs to get his act together.   

Yep. He deserved that option. Came into camp out of shape, even for him, then couldn't command the ball of get guys out. Basically he imploded and lost out on a great opportunity. a little surprised by re-adding LeBlanc, but Akin's regression helped his cause. Still would rather see him in long relief and Zimmermann in the rotation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Just an idiotic decision.

Why? How does rewarding a pitcher who came into camp out of shape even for Akin's low standards and then pitch awful help anyone? He still will get an opportunity this season if he can get in shape and starts pitching well, but there is no doubt Akin brought this on himself.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why? How does rewarding a pitcher who came into camp out of shape even for Akin's low standards and then pitch awful help anyone? He still will get an opportunity this season if he can get in shape and starts pitching well, but there is no doubt Akin brought this on himself.

Small sample size is one thing, but when you allow 22 baserunners and 10 runs in 9 innings, you are not just going to flip a switch and help the major league team in April.   He needs to sharpen up and then he can get the call.    

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

SSS mean nothing.  It’s just a horrendous way to make any decision, especially for someone that has nothing left to prove.

I’m not sure how much him “being out of shape” meant and how much out of shape was he?  A team Going nowhere who talks about building a talent foundation  giving the ball every 5th day to a player who has no future is just dumb. 

There is no intelligence behind the decision.  It’s a rash decision based on a few bad innings and its them wanting to keep rule 5 players who haven’t even been that good in the lower minors.

Just now, Frobby said:

Small sample size is one thing, but when you allow 22 baserunners and 10 runs in 9 innings, you are not just going to flip a switch and help the major league team in April.   He needs to sharpen up and then he can get the call.    

So, you are waiting until June?  We are giving Lopez 10 starts?  Seriously?

Maybe Valdez's SP bid really is gaining some traction.

I really don't need to see LeBlanc except on an emergency basis but maybe Akin being off chessboard creates a little extra need there.

Could Zimmermann have shown enough in first few outings to take Akin's job?  Lopez tonight perhaps hiding him from Yankees same as I thought may have been case with Akin?   Lopez isn't as bad as Leblanc, at least, if that's how it turns out.

Means, Kremer, Harvey, Zimmermann, Valdez and I don't really miss Akin, but I can't say I figure any of those last three more likely to make it half a season than Akin was.   I still think Kremer 5-month season tops, so almost all the Akins will get a couple months of opportunity in the 162 if they can get sharp.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, you are waiting until June?  We are giving Lopez 10 starts?  Seriously?

Who says we have to wait for June?   Akin was pitching at the alternate site last year when he got called up.   If he can get his act together there, he can come back when he’s ready.   

I don’t think López is better than Akin, and if I had to pick one of the two for the next six months and never switch them out, I’d put Akin on the roster.   But that’s not how it works.   López has been much better than Akin this spring, Akin does not look ready to succeed, and López will have to do until Akin gets it together.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who says we have to wait for June?   Akin was pitching at the alternate site last year when he got called up.   If he can get his act together there, he can come back when he’s ready.   

I don’t think López is better than Akin, and if I had to pick one of the two for the next six months and never switch them out, I’d put Akin on the roster.   But that’s not how it works.   López has been much better than Akin this spring, Akin does not look ready to succeed, and López will have to do until Akin gets it together.   

Sending Akin down to “work on things” in a relatively meaningless mini camp seems even dumber to me.  How are you going to know if he is “fixed” if he isn’t doing it in a game situation.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want him to pitch in the minors.  I think it’s a complete waste of time.  It just doesn’t seem to add up to send him down and not get him real game action.

Now, if this is just a move to get him to the first 5th starter spot, ok.  I can see them doing it for roster reasons...it’s easier to pass guys through waivers once the season has started.  But if he is down for an extended period of time, it’s just dumb.

The only reason I can think of where this isn’t a dumb decision is if he has an attitude issue and this is there way of saying; you better calm the F down and realize you aren’t having things handed to you.