Interesting Cuts

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

30 homers, 93 RBIs' - all-star!  Go to your local nursing home and do a poll.  Don't mention fwar, or you better bwar..  

He strikes out too much!

What kind of batting average is that?  I could hit 205!  All these kids do today is swing for the fences.  Back in my day they hit home runs and singles, take what the pitcher gives you.

15 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

30 homers, 93 RBIs' - all-star!  Go to your local nursing home and do a poll.  Don't mention fwar, or you better bwar..  

You made me look to see if Odor was an all-star that year: no.

It kind of surprised me that a .721 OPS would translate to a 79 OPS+, but then again, Texas is a very friendly place to hit.  

As to his healthy RBI total, that year Odor OPS’d 1.042 with runners in scoring position, .842 with runners on base, .621 with runners empty.   He didn’t get a lot of hits that year, but he made them count.   

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

I never wrote that, you did. But I do think Sanchez is pitiful. He's also gone, so I think Odor is an improvement. I am intrigued by Urias. 

What makes him an improvement? He was clearly worse in the season you wanted to highlight (2019) and he is projected to be a worse player in 2021 based on ZIPS (major projection system). It's fine if you think he can rebound, if we want to give him a shot on a cheap deal, I'm all for it (he may have much wider error bars than Sanchez, which has value given our roster construction and competitive outlook), but it's certainly not obvious that he is the better player at this juncture.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It kind of surprised me that a .721 OPS would translate to a 79 OPS+, but then again, Texas is a very friendly place to hit.  

As to his healthy RBI total, that year Odor OPS’d 1.042 with runners in scoring position, .842 with runners on base, .621 with runners empty.   He didn’t get a lot of hits that year, but he made them count.   

This got me interested whether he was someone who was particularly victimized by the shift. 

Per FanGraphs, it appears that since 2015 he has consistently had a pull percentage between 47% and 50% (39% in 2014). Is his relative success with runners on potentially a result of a reduced ability on the part of the defense to employ the shift against him? 

Is there an easy way to search for frequency at which an individual player faces the shift?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree. Park Effects aside, his .721 was about 95% the league average .758 OPS. So we are talking a 16 point dip based on park effect? I clearly don't understand OPS+ like I thought I did.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He strikes out too much!

What kind of batting average is that?  I could hit 205!  All these kids do today is swing for the fences.  Back in my day they hit home runs and singles, take what the pitcher gives you.

Lol, you might be getting too good at that and won't be able to stop.  We'll know if you get excited about Don Buford's steals in 1969 - when he stole 19 but got caught 18 times.  Hey, he stole 19.  What's this new fangled stat called caught stealings?  

11 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Lol, you might be getting too good at that and won't be able to stop.  We'll know if you get excited about Don Buford's steals in 1969 - when he stole 19 but got caught 18 times.  Hey, he stole 19.  What's this new fangled stat called caught stealings?  

It disrupts the defense!  Pitcher gets all worried about and next thing you know he grooves a fastball!  You can't measure the impact a running game has on a defense with your fancy stats!

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It disrupts the defense!  Pitcher gets all worried about and next thing you know he grooves a fastball!  You can't measure the impact a running game has on a defense with your fancy stats!

Some of those old timers turned out to be right though. Strikeouts, Homeruns and Walks are making the game less aesthetic than it used to be. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the length of games do.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh gawd, I shoulda never suggested that trip to the nursing home - ignored the unwritten rule they wrote about it.  Sigh.    

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Sorry, but still "no." That mature crowd would disregard the HRs and RBIs and think poorly of Odor's offensive production because of the Ks and horribly low batting average. They did that with a far superior player, Dave Kingman. While a favorite of the little kids, the adults tended to think he was a mediocre talent. Through modern statistical analysis, it appears Kingman was undervalued by most fans. Also undervalued because of the huge number of Ks and middling batting average was Bobby Bonds. 

While that crowd may have been surprised to see a second baseman putting up those counting numbers -- they were rare from a middle infielder back then -- nearly all older baseball fans would have a low opinion Odor's offensive output.