More on Roberts and Chicago

BillySmith

No question that the WS make more sense than the Cubs do IMO.

However, I think I would prefer what the Cubs can send back to us.

If we do deal BRob to the WS, i hope Vazquez is in the deal.

How about Floyd?

Wishful thinking never hurt anyone. :cool:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cleveland and the Dodgers are also said to be interested.

This is why I don't think his value is down from last year....because there are more teams involved for him, so it seems, this offseason.

Agreed. But you still have to worry about MacPhail dilly-dallying. Having a bunch of clubs to talk with is nice, PROVIDED they don't get sick of dealing with an aggressive negotiator and go another route instead.

Agreed. But you still have to worry about MacPhail dilly-dallying. Having a bunch of clubs to talk with is nice, PROVIDED they don't get sick of dealing with an aggressive negotiator and go another route instead.

With Hudson available via FA and Cano on the block there are other options indeed. And either would be preferable to giving up a ton of talent for Roberts.

How about Floyd?

Wishful thinking never hurt anyone. :cool:

Very wishful. Actually, I see the Chisox as even less of a fit than the Cubs. They had the ROY at 2nd base last year. Do they have any young players that would fit right in with the O's - that would make sense for them to trade?

Very wishful. Actually, I see the Chisox as even less of a fit than the Cubs. They had the ROY at 2nd base last year. Do they have any young players that would fit right in with the O's - that would make sense for them to trade?

I thought they wanted to move him to SS to replace Orlando Cabrera, which would leave 2B open.

Cleveland and the Dodgers are also said to be interested.

This is why I don't think his value is down from last year....because there are more teams involved for him, so it seems, this offseason.

As I've posted previously, Cleveland is an excellent fit for BRob though I would have to review the talent in that system. BRob and Sizemore at the top of any lineup would be scary. LAD would probably be the most attractive destination in terms of prospects though I'm sure both Chi teams have the talent to land BRob.

As I've posted previously, Cleveland is an excellent fit for BRob though I would have to review the talent in that system. BRob and Sizemore at the top of any lineup would be scary. LAD would probably be the most attractive destination in terms of prospects though I'm sure both Chi teams have the talent to land BRob.

Why do you want Cleveland to have both Grady and My Perfect One:hearts:?:eek:

Brian Roberts needs to stay here!:wedge:

Roberts' greatest value to the Cubs is not in his being a leadoff hitter, but being a lefthanded hitter. Isn't that the problem identified? That when you throw a bunch of RH pitchers at them, they aren't as productive and you can beat them in any given series?

That effect certainly wasn't observed over the course of the regular season.

overall: .278 .354 .443 .797 (5588 ABs)

vs RHP: .274 .350 .443 .793 (4114 ABs)

vs LHP: .288 .366 .442 .807 (1474 ABs)

vs LAD: .240 .282 .346 .628 (104 ABs)

__it happens. Often for no reason beyond "that's baseball". Doesn't stop folks from leaping to conclusions like the Cubs' lineup is vulnerable to RHP and other such nonsense.

I think this problem may be a bit overstated. He waited Bavasi out and got a haul for Bedard. He didn't get what he wanted from Chicago for Roberts, so he never made the deal. That could be as much Hendry's fault as MacPhails. He moved quickly enough in the Trachsel and Tejada trades. And the internet age of instant gratification may make this process seem worse than it really is, or at least worse than we thought when we were only reading about it every now and then in the newspapers (you remember those, paper, ink, once daily ;) ).

That effect certainly wasn't observed over the course of the regular season.

overall: .278 .354 .443 .797 (5588 ABs)

vs RHP: .274 .350 .443 .793 (4114 ABs)

vs LHP: .288 .366 .442 .807 (1474 ABs)

vs LAD: .240 .282 .346 .628 (104 ABs)

__it happens. Often for no reason beyond "that's baseball". Doesn't stop folks from leaping to conclusions like the Cubs' lineup is vulnerable to RHP and other such nonsense.

Any explanation why that might be their target in the offseason? Are they projecting 5 RH starters for each team in the division? Something is up here, and the stats above don't help explain it.

Yeah, but I think they're moving Alexei to short when OCab leaves. Any way we could pry away Danks from them?

Any explanation why that might be their target in the offseason? Are they projecting 5 RH starters for each team in the division? Something is up here, and the stats above don't help explain it.

The fact is, Piniella's been clamoring for more LH hitting since this time last year.

The Dodgers series just brought the subject back to the forefront, albeit not for the right reason.

What Piniella really wants is enough L/R balance up and down the lineup that the opposing manager has to overtax his bullpen in the 6th/7th/8th innings dealing with matchups.

With the Cubs' lineup as-is, a guy like Jonathan Broxton could be brought in, and left in, to face 5 or 6 straight righties. Now the onus shifts back to Piniella to burn through his one or two LH PHs to gain matchup advantages.

That's been the thought process in the past anyway, not so much that the RH-heavy lineup is susceptible to RH starting pitching.

The fact is, Piniella's been clamoring for more LH hitting since this time last year.

The Dodgers series just brought the subject back to the forefront, albeit not for the right reason.

What Piniella really wants is enough L/R balance up and down the lineup that the opposing manager has to overtax his bullpen in the 6th/7th/8th innings dealing with matchups.

With the Cubs' lineup as-is, a guy like Jonathan Broxton could be brought in, and left in, to face 5 or 6 straight righties. Now the onus shifts back to Piniella to burn through his one or two LH PHs to gain matchup advantages.

That's been the thought process in the past anyway, not so much that the RH-heavy lineup is susceptible to RH starting pitching.

So Dave, you just seemed to give the justification as to why the Cubs will be come after Roberts. Of the righthanded hitters in the Cubs lineup, the easiest by far to change to lefthanded is at 2B, changing out DeRosa for Roberts.

Soriano, Lee and ARam all have no trade clauses and contract considerations that make them unlikely trade candidates. Soto and Theriot are young players that the Cubs probably don't want to move. Of the six righthanded hitters in the Cubs lineup, DeRosa stands out as the easiest to replace.

Are we on the same page here?

The White Sox had Evan Longoria at second base?? ;)

Archived