Matt Harvey 2021

Il BuonO

I won't be angry if Harvey starts again on Sunday.   Or on the next Friday.

But whenever Means comes off the IL, and we keep Harvey in the rotation and jettison someone else, THEN I will really be pissed off.   It's time to give Kremer, Akin, and Zimmerman an extended tryout, let them take some lumps and have some bad outings, and see what they can do.

• Upvote 1

If the logic is about improving the team for the future, an important part of that process is letting the young guys have extended major-league tryouts at a time when there are minimal consequences for failure. Harvey satisfies no need, accomplishes no goals, answers no questions. There is exactly no reason to keep him around , And the same can be said for the several of our relievers as well.

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

If the logic is about improving the team for the future, an important part of that process is letting the young guys have extended major-league tryouts at a time when there are minimal consequences for failure. Harvey satisfies no need, accomplishes no goals, answers no questions. There is exactly no reason to keep him around , And the same can be said for the several of our relievers as well.

There was a lot of talk at the start of the year about finding enough pitchers to handle innings given the short work load everyone had in '20. My guess is Harvey stays in the rotation until we reach a point in the season where Elias is convinced he doesn't have to push young arms to fill innings. 

I'm not saying Harvey is doing well, or doing ok or that there's reason to believe he will improve. But he's paid for and he's eating at least some innings. 

Maybe 45-60 days from now, the emphasis changes to giving young guys more opportunities. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

It's ridiculous now, DFA Harvey immediately. I don't mind tanking, but let's use Harvey's spot to evaluate some minors guys, even if we use openers.

Yeah, I agree.   His last 8 starts: 27.1 IP, 54 H, 40 ER, 12 BB, 28 K’s.   13.17 ERA, 2.41 WHIP.

• Upvote 3

On 6/15/2021 at 10:16 PM, Moose Milligan said:

How bad do you want Elijah Green, SG?  

Here’s the annual, one year from the draft, annointment of some player as the Second Coming.   And then someone else gets drafted no. 1 the following year.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I agree.   His last 8 starts: 27.1 IP, 54 H, 40 ER, 12 BB, 28 K’s.   13.17 ERA, 2.41 WHIP.

Per Hyder via Roch, hoping for 6 innings next outing:

“For me, (Harvey) had that long first inning, but that was the best four innings that he’s thrown since he’s been here,” manager Brandon Hyde said in his Zoom. “Just from a stuff and command standpoint I was really impressed. They obviously got to him in the fifth, and with the way our bullpen is, it was unfortunate. But he had four really good innings, really encouraged earlier on in the game, the crispness to his stuff. I thought his slider was really good, it got a lot of swings and misses. Threw some good changeups. Had a great curveball for a punchout and he was throwing 94-97. Hopefully he can build off that and get through the fifth, sixth his next start.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/06/mancini-homers-twice-but-harvey-cant-finish-fifth-in-7-4-loss.html

The last 3 major league pitchers to have an ERA of 7.80 or higher in their first 15 starts of their season:

Matt Harvey, Baltimore, 2021

Chris Tillman , Baltimore, 2017 

Ubaldo Jiminez, Baltimore, 2017

I can't figure out what the common thread is.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The last 3 major league pitchers to have an ERA of 7.80 or higher in their first 15 starts of their season:

Matt Harvey, Baltimore, 2021

Chris Tillman , Baltimore, 2017 

Ubaldo Jiminez, Baltimore, 2017

I can't figure out what the common thread is.

Odd numbered years.