The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

41 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

If Ryan McKenna is too fragile to make his debut against the Yankees' fifth starter he shouldn't be in the organization.

Having said that, I said that Santander should have sat against Cole since you have to think that game is a likely L anyway.

But I think it’s obvious that he is too fragile to start against the Yankees fifth starter, but it’s not a question of him not offering enough it’s a question of needing what Santander offers. Save McKenna for late inning defense. Don’t start him while sitting your best player. There’s just no justification for that. Anybody who needs rest three games into a 162 game season has got some serious problems

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

But I think it’s obvious that he is too fragile to start against the Yankees fifth starter, but it’s not a question of him not offering enough it’s a question of needing what Santander offers. Save McKenna for late inning defense. Don’t start him while sitting your best player. There’s just no justification for that. Anybody who needs rest three games into a 162 game season has got some serious problems

Maybe you are just blowing this way out of proportion?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe you are just blowing this way out of proportion?

I’m not overreacting. It’s only one game, but how many times will the same flawed logic present itself? 

I mention it because it is a legitimate question, and the justification, if the true answer, is quite literally, stupid.

I stand by my contention that Santander should have started, unless he’s injured. 

I stand by the obvious contention that starting an unproven rookie in his debut while sitting Santander is absolutely unjustified except in the case of injury,

and the pitching mess has been adequately presented.

So no, I’m not blowing anything out of proportion.

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not overreacting. It’s only one game, but how many times will the same flawed logic present itself? 

I mention it because it is a legitimate question, and the justification, if the true answer, is quite literally, stupid.

I stand by my contention that Santander should have started, unless he’s injured. 

I stand by the obvious contention that starting an unproven rookie in his debut while sitting Santander is absolutely unjustified except in the case of injury,

You are entitled to your opinion.

The difference between you and Hyde, Hyde is getting paid for his baseball knowledge.

I dont see too many people on your side of this opinion, that might be telling you something.

When people are agreeing with SG, thats funny for sure.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

We have a .750 winning percentage, on pace to go 121-41. The all-time record for winning percentage since 1901 is .763, by the 1906 Cubs who went 116-36. Those 1906 Cubs didn't even win the World Series that year. I'm tired of this bulls***. 

o

There's 1 word to describe that Cubs team.  Failures!

<kidding>

45 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I wish Phillip and Wildcard would stop forcing me to agree with Sports Guy.  It makes me very uncomfortable.  ?

t's almost unfathomable that manage Brandon Hyde would even think about bringing in Sceroler with the bases loaded, one out, and Aaron Judge at the plate, but that's exactly what he did.    ----- Tony Pente

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40904-tt-analysis-of-mac-scerolers-major-league-debut/

Hey, I am agreeing with Tony.  If you want to agree with SG that's your business.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I want to second guess having Severino and Sisco in the same line up. Severino has already taken a beating in just 3 games started. 

I saw that one coming.  Severino has started hot at the plate and Sisco has hit a homer off Cole.  Its hard to find anyone that has much success with Cole.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

It is possible, this is correct.  But the more reasonable response here politely, is that you are entitled to your opinion, but you are the one who is wrong.

In general play your best players.  I think most everyone understands that.  When we were trotting Davis out there for 2 plus years watching him not even look at the pitch, we  knew he shouldn't be there.  But there was 150 million reasons to trot him out there.  Even then, we understood why?  So why is Santander sitting?

Santander is one of the best players.  But the season is 162 games long.  Perhaps you have forgotten that he missed essentially the last week of spring training for soreness in the exact same area that shut him down last season. He is not going to play everyday.  He can't. IF Hyde were to try that he would break before the end of April.  He is simply going to have to get a breather quite often so that we can have him for longer.  Yes when he sits, his replacement may not be as good.  That's not the reason to not play him however.

And the notion that it's the Yankees.  Please.  What better place?  The Orioles have told us we are not trying to win.  Every game is a chance to get experience.  I know when I was a kid my dream was to play in Yankee Stadium for the Orioles.  Yesterday was not game 7 of the World Series.  It was game 4 of a season that will likely see our Orioles lose a whole bunch of games.  

There simply is no flawed logic by Hyde here.  The flaw is yours.  And I don't mean that to be argumentative.  You are correct that with Santander out the Orioles will not be as good.  But if we use the logic that he must play everyday, then why not pitch John Means everyday?  He is unquestionably our best pitcher.

The reason is that it is a long season and we have to take care of guys like Santander and a couple others who have not always been able to stay healthy. It's smart logic by Hyde.  If you want to question where we are, then it would be Ellias you would question.

Anyway, I love your enthusiasm and I appreciate it more than you realize.  But you are wrong here.  All of us are at times.  If you back up a step or two, I have no doubt you will see the same thing.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Lopez's spot was Akins' to lose in spring training and Akins did everything to lose it.  Lopez is a placeholder until a pitcher at AA or AAA proves he deserves a spot.  I don't think Akins is necessarily next up.  Next up should be the minor leaguer who earns it. 

That's why I said Lowther and Wells, or waiver wire. I agree, Akins needs to earn his way back.