The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

5 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

You’re still playing with fire of a sort, trying to outsmart the weather. Tonight as an example… an opener would have gone two innings, at best, before giving the ball to Irvin anyway. Who would have then pitched the third and been removed after the second rain delay regardless.

The idea is to go pitcher to pitcher until the rain comes. Last night it would be something like Zimmermann for 2, Baumann for 1, then Irvin after the delay. 

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

You think there's anything to the fact he's hitting a respectable .243/.336/.449 versus LH starters in 125 PA? It seems to be those 43 PA against LH relievers that are killing the overall line.

I would imagine most hitters hit worse against relievers nowadays because of the way relievers are used nowadays for the most part.

I think the fact that the Royals and now the Orioles have given him very little PAs against lefties speaks volumes. Right now it appears O'Hearn has settled into a role that he's comfortable in and with Santander and Urias having the ability to play there, there's not a lot of need for him to start against lefties.

I know this is the second guessing Hyde thread, but I'd like to say I think Hyde has made some adjustments of late to how he uses his bullpen. One, he's allowed his starters to get through 7 innings a few times now, even after the starter gave up a hit or got into a little trouble in that 7th inning.

Yesterday he let Zimmermann go three and with a very fresh and rested pen, he gave Baker, Baumann and Perez each an inning so he didn't burn them for today if needed.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

The idea is to go pitcher to pitcher until the rain comes. Last night it would be something like Zimmermann for 2, Baumann for 1, then Irvin after the delay. 

You don't know at this point what you're going to get out of Irvin. Maybe he implodes the second time through the order. Maybe Hyde dodged a bullet by having to limit his start by the delay. 

7 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

You don't know at this point what you're going to get out of Irvin. Maybe he implodes the second time through the order. Maybe Hyde dodged a bullet by having to limit his start by the delay. 

Of course, you never know what will happen, but you can manage the game to keep from burning your bullpen. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Of course, you never know what will happen, but you can manage the game to keep from burning your bullpen. 

He didn't burn the bullpen. In fact, he managed it very well. I guess I am saying that I think he did the correct thing. I have no problem limiting Irvin. I would agree with you if it were one of the other starters but, not with Irvin. 

Edited by MCO'sFan

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

The problem with trying to manage that is that, last night, the storms kept popping up and you could not plan for those....nor could you assume that the last rain delay would actually be the "last" rain delay.  If he got too cute trying to game the weather, we'd be second guessing that as well.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I would imagine most hitters hit worse against relievers nowadays because of the way relievers are used nowadays for the most part.

I think the fact that the Royals and now the Orioles have given him very little PAs against lefties speaks volumes. Right now it appears O'Hearn has settled into a role that he's comfortable in and with Santander and Urias having the ability to play there, there's not a lot of need for him to start against lefties.

Sure, but those splits are pretty drastic. Without doing the math, he's got to be batting somewhere around .050 against left-handed relievers compared to .243 against starters. I doubt most players have a split nearly that large.

You're right that it's clear the Royals and Orioles don't think he can hit left-handed pitching well, but these numbers make me wonder if he could start against lefties and perhaps be pinch hit for if the opponent brings in a lefty reliever. Or maybe he could be serviceable under the new reliever rules if you put him in the lineup between two lefty mashers.

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Or it rains mid-inning, or it never rains enough at all for a delay, or…

It’s a cutesy attempt to outsmart Mother Nature. Not worth it.