The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

I support Hyde's decision to only pitch Bautista 1 inning.  It would have been different if Bautista was going 2 innings to protect a lead and nail down a win.  It's a bad decision to burn Bautista for the rest of the series when the game is a toss up.  The O's weren't exactly scoring runs in bunches in this game.  There is no guarantee the O's would have scored in the 10th. 

The problem I have with Hyde in this game was he only used Perez for 1 out.  This seems like it would have helped if Perez had pitched an inning or more.   You can't have 1 batter relievers w/ a short bullpen.  I'm not a fan of the 6 man rotation.

7 hours ago, vab said:

Hyde is right, Bautista would have been down for the rest of the series but that still wasn't a reason not to go back to him. Can't count on getting to him the next two nights, you go after this one tonight and worry about tomorrow tomorrow. 

Down the rest of the series for throwing what, 20 to 25 pitches? He only had thrown 9 after one inning. Completely outrageous. 

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I support Hyde's decision to only pitch Bautista 1 inning.  It would have been different if Bautista was going 2 innings to protect a lead and nail down a win.  It's a bad decision to burn Bautista for the rest of the series when the game is a toss up.  The O's weren't exactly scoring runs in bunches in this game.  There is no guarantee the O's would have scored in the 10th. 

The problem I have with Hyde in this game was he only used Perez for 1 out.  This seems like it would have helped if Perez had pitched an inning or more.   You can't have 1 batter relievers w/ a short bullpen.  I'm not a fan of the 6 man rotation.

Good point. I was going to say the same. However, I'm not sure how the 9th and 10th play out differently. Maybe save Cano for the 10th?

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The Blue Jays are not a good matchup for lefties since they are so right handed heavy. They have Belt or Varsho for the lefties.  The problem is Guerrero and Soring follow and Perez is much better vs lefties then righties.  .200 vs .317.  

Pitch Bautista; try to get the win now. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Bautista may not be needed for the remainder of the series. The other games could be blowouts. It seems like every time he pitched two innings, we win. I do agree with another poster, though, in that the blame for this loss does not fall on Mike but the batters' inability to get more runs in. That won't cut it now. 

Jansen has thrown out 15% of runners on the year, Vladdy is crashing to protect for a bunt and barely holding MacKenna, a lefty who isn't quick to the plate, and a guy on first who can run.  Why are we not stealing second base there?  Precisely why Mateo should never be starting.  His only role should be to pinch run.  That would have been the perfect spot to put him into the game to run for MacKenna.  

Edited by emmett16

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Jansen has thrown out 15% of runners on the year, Vladdy is crashing to protect for a bunt and barely holding MacKenna, a lefty who isn't quick to the plate, and a guy on first who can run.  Why are we not stealing second base there?  Precisely why Mateo should never be starting.  His only role should be to pinch run.  That would have been the perfect spot to put him into the game to run for MacKenna.  

McKenna is almost as fast as Mateo. He used to be the pinch runner guy. I can't understand why he forgot how to steal bases but McKenna is not the guy you pinch run for 

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

McKenna is almost as fast as Mateo. He used to be the pinch runner guy. I can't understand why he forgot how to steal bases but McKenna is not the guy you pinch run for 

To be fair, Westburg is faster than McKenna, and he was PR for by Mateo and we all saw how well that worked out.

Tough loss.  I would have liked to see Bautista in the 10th, but I understand Hyde taking the long view there.  He’s trying to keep Felix fresh down the stretch and available for other save situations in this series.  As to the Mateo bunt, I think you have to try it there.  Bottom line, our players didn’t execute in some key situations.  Bichette’s play on Adley’s grounder in the hole was a huge play for them.  On to the next game.  

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Again.  Are we at the point now where a reliever needs two full days rest after throwing two innings?  This is so ridiculous.  And it just gets more and more absurd.  The pitch count gods must be appeased.

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

The numbers you posted suggest double the odds of scoring. I don't think that's right and it's not what I'm seeing.

Yeah, it's just so far from the numbers I'm seeing online. Advancing from 2nd to 3rd is generally good when playing for one run but 1st to 2nd is about breakeven.

Given Mateo is a much worse hitter than the next two, it's not terrible to bunt if he has to be the one at the plate, but with Santander available I'd much rather pinch hit.

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

Yeah, it's just so far from the numbers I'm seeing online. Advancing from 2nd to 3rd is generally good when playing for one run but 1st to 2nd is about breakeven.

Given Mateo is a much worse hitter than the next two, it's not terrible to bunt if he has to be the one at the plate, but with Santander available I'd much rather pinch hit.

Pretty sure Santander is still dealing with the back issue, and Hyde didn’t want to use him if at all possible. 

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Pretty sure Santander is still dealing with the back issue, and Hyde didn’t want to use him if at all possible. 

If Santander isn't available, I would either let Mateo swing away vs the LHP or pinch hit Frazier to bunt. Every time I've seen Mateo try to bunt he has looked awful. He had a hit off a lefty in earlier in the game and two hits in his previous start. If he's good enough to start (admittedly that's debatable) he's good enough to swing away IMO. 

9 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

It seems like every time he pitched two innings, we win. 

But those were on the road, and Hyde said he only brought Bautista back for the 10th inning because we got the lead in the top of the 10th. 

33 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

But those were on the road, and Hyde said he only brought Bautista back for the 10th inning because we got the lead in the top of the 10th. 

Just seems like getting to the 10th with Bautista is like having the lead because there is a great chance he will hold the other team and we can play for one.