The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

This game showed the decision not to improve the bullpen by Elias was a mistake.  He added Flaherty who is a mop up guy, Webb who was a waiver guy no one else wanted and has gave up two big homers in this series and Fuji who has been so bad he didn’t even make the roster,    We needed to add at least he reliable bullpen guy and we did not.  That is Elias not Hyde.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

This game showed the decision not to improve the bullpen by Elias was a mistake.  He added Flaherty who is a mop up guy, Webb who was a waiver guy no one else wanted and has gave up two big homers in this series and Fuji who has been so bad he didn’t even make the roster,    We needed to add at least he reliable bullpen guy and we did not.  That is Elias not Hyde.  

Grayson Rodriguez: 1.2 IP, 6 H, 4 BB. Game lost by our rookie phenom.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I've said this a few times. If you don't use early draft picks on pitching prospects, don't trade for high-quality pitchers, and add only cheap free agents on short-term contracts and guys waived, released, unprotected or DFAed by other teams, you're not likely to wind up with depth of quality pitchers.  I can't differentiate between Elias's intentions to acquire pitching and John Angelos's financial constraints on doing that, but taken together they form a strategy for building a roster that is, let's say, less than optimal. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Mathematically speaking, Webb has literally been the difference in both games! Hate to say it, but we all saw this coming.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mathematically speaking, Webb has literally been the difference in both games! Hate to say it, but we all saw this coming.

With the Orioles this year, Webb had given up zero home runs in 22 innings and batters had only hit .203 against him. So I for one did not see it coming.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I've said this a few times. If you don't use early draft picks on pitching prospects, don't trade for high-quality pitchers, and add only cheap free agents on short-term contracts and guys waived, released, unprotected or DFAed by other teams, you're not likely to wind up with depth of quality pitchers.  I can't differentiate between Elias's intentions to acquire pitching and John Angelos's financial constraints on doing that, but taken together they form a strategy for building a roster that is, let's say, less than optimal. 

Regardless of how the rest of the post-season works out for the O's, there's no ignoring the fact that the system needs greater pitching depth.  There's been lots of amazing progress this season in every facet of the organization but now is not the time to let up.  I'll be watching JA's behavior most of all this offseason.

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

With the Orioles this year, Webb had given up zero home runs in 22 innings and batters had only hit .203 against him. So I for one did not see it coming.

You thought relying on a guy claimed on waivers from the Angels would be a good idea? Sure, I wouldn't have guessed two homers but Webb being actually good also seems wildly improbable on paper. Anyway, I meant more generally that many of us wanted the club to add a high leverage reliever at the trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I didn't. I thought of Baker as the weak spot and Webb as a level or two above him, maybe more. I have revised by opinion.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

At one point during the broadcast, the announcers made a comment that the biggest difference between the two teams was Texas terrible BP and our amazing BP. I laughed out loud but it got me thinking that if the rest of the country thinks we have a great BP, we look like bigger choke artists than we already are.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

If we somehow make it to the next series, Baumann or Irvin should replace Webb on the roster.