The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

If for the sake of argument the Orioles had Mountcastle due up then the Jays would have chosen to pitch to one of Mountcastle/Rutschman but not both.

Hyde chose to pitch to Vlad instead of Kirk who clearly is no slouch but is not as good. The Orioles were not going to avoid facing a quality hitter which brings us back to the Mateo bunt and whether it makes sense. Either way they were going to go after McKenna. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If for the sake of argument the Orioles had Mountcastle due up then the Jays would have chosen to pitch to one of Mountcastle/Rutschman but not both.

Hyde chose to pitch to Vlad instead of Kirk who clearly is no slouch but is not as good. The Orioles were not going to avoid facing a quality hitter which brings us back to the Mateo bunt and whether it makes sense. Either way they were going to go after McKenna. 

If it’s the top of the inning you could make an argument for not IBB Vlad to avoid a big inning. However, in the bottom of the inning, one run beats you anyways, anything after that doesn’t count. 

Bottomline is there is no way you pitch to Vlad right there. Why let one of the best hitters in the league beat you when his run doesn’t even matter?  

Hyde has been good with the bullpen in game, but we haven’t exactly been it too many of these situations. 

• Upvote 1

Earlier in Hyde's tenure, I tried not to criticize Hyde's in-game decisions because I was never sure to what extent they reflected the factors a manager who was trying to win games would consider and to what extent they reflected an effort (on instructions from Elias or on Hyde's own) to test guys in certain situations. Watching the tenth inning (top and bottom) last night, I felt like things had reverted to that.  

9 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Earlier in Hyde's tenure, I tried not to criticize Hyde's in-game decisions because I was never sure to what extent they reflected the factors a manager who was trying to win games would consider and to what extent they reflected an effort (on instructions from Elias or on Hyde's own) to test guys in certain situations. Watching the tenth inning (top and bottom) last night, I felt like things had reverted to that.  

I could see that. Let’s see what Bautista has in that situation. Go out there and face one of the game’s best. 

Kinda like he was trying to lose quickly and save the bullpen, innings/pitches

If he was actually trying to win the bunt and pitching to Vlad were not the percentage plays

I thought we were an analytics driven team

Analytics meets manger hunch and analytics go out the window.

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Hyde has always tried to win with the 25 he's got. He has never tanked games for developmental purposes. The best explanation I can think of is playing for one run he'd rather try to strike out or pop up Vlad than have Kirk bunt. Since Vlad is going to be swinging you may have a higher chance of getting to 1 out without the runner advancing. I disagree with that thinking but now that I think about it I can see what he was going for. 

It’s not so much he’s not trying to win, it’s the organizational philosophy and what he may be being told by Elias and others on what they want to do.

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did Hyde offer an explanation after the game? Did the O's media ask him his thinking? 

Ha ha ha, very funny, thinking that the O’s media would actually ask a manager about a tactical decision in a game.   

With Vlad and Kirk due up, not sure why you bunt Mateo and play for one run in this situation. Not to mention you have an absolutely awful major league hitter in McKenna due up next. Saying that, Elias has done him no favors giving him no valuable pinch hitters on his bench, particularly with a team that starts a right-handed hitting SS who is batting .210. 

Mancini's injury has come at a bad time with Santander on the restricted list in Toronto, but saying that, Elias has chosen to go without a left-handed pinch hitter since DFAing Stewart.

22 minutes ago, waroriole said:

McKenna gets the start today over Stowers against a RHP. Make it make sense Hyder

If the prevailing theory is he wanted to challenge Bautista by having him face Vlad, why would you hide Stowers from Gausman? I gotta say this one has me completely stumped. 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If the prevailing theory is he wanted to challenge Bautista by having him face Vlad, why would you hide Stowers from Gausman? I gotta say this one has me completely stumped. 

I don't think that is the prevailing theory, that is just something someone pulled out of thin air on this message board to try to explain/excuse  a bad managerial move.   

But I agree, there is no reason for Stowers not to be in the lineup today over McKenna if he is healthy.   I don't get it.   I had no problem with sitting him vs Kikuchi given Kikuchi's extreme RH/LH splits, but this makes no sense at all.