Play by Play Announcers

SteveA

JFC, Kevin Brown tonight on his knees for Miguel Cabrera and the possibility of him hitting #500.  Practically rooting for him to do it.

I get it, it's a cool piece of history and it'd be cool to call it.  But Kevin, if you're reading this, it's gonna be the Tigers call that gets played over and over, not yours homie. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

JFC, Kevin Brown tonight on his knees for Miguel Cabrera and the possibility of him hitting #500.  Practically rooting for him to do it.

I get it, it's a cool piece of history and it'd be cool to call it.  But Kevin, if you're reading this, it's gonna be the Tigers call that gets played over and over, not yours homie. 

Glad I'm not the only one that felt that way.  Come on, he is the O's broadcaster, and it sounded like he was cheering for the Cabrera to hit another home run.  Acknowledge it, sure.  But I felt it was over the top and really grated on me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, forphase1 said:

Glad I'm not the only one that felt that way.  Come on, he is the O's broadcaster, and it sounded like he was cheering for the Cabrera to hit another home run.  Acknowledge it, sure.  But I felt it was over the top and really grated on me.

It was f'ing obnoxious, I'm pretty sure he mentioned it every half inning.

I've come around on Kevin Brown a little bit, even though sometimes he sounds like Joe Buck, sometimes his cadence sounds the same.  I used to not like him but now I think he's pretty decent.  No one will touch Thorne but I guess this is as good as we're going to get for a little while.  He's certainly better than Garceau, but that's a low bar to hurdle.

But tonight was just awful.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was f'ing obnoxious, I'm pretty sure he mentioned it every half inning.

I've come around on Kevin Brown a little bit, even though sometimes he sounds like Joe Buck, sometimes his cadence sounds the same.  I used to not like him but now I think he's pretty decent.  No one will touch Thorne but I guess this is as good as we're going to get for a little while.  He's certainly better than Garceau, but that's a low bar to hurdle.

But tonight was just awful.  

Kevin Brown was even hyping up during the postgame asking if Cabrera will play tomorrow afternoon with a chance to hit his 500th home run or will he get a day off. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Kevin Brown was even hyping up during the postgame asking if Cabrera will play tomorrow afternoon with a chance to hit his 500th home run or will he get a day off. 

I turned it off and started watching the Giants (new adopted team, visited my uncle out there last week who's a big fan so it's not completely random...and in the vein of announcers, it's great to hear Jon Miller, an added bonus).  But yeah, he couldn't STFU about Cabrera playing tomorrow in the later innings of tonight's game too so it wasn't a surprise.

I could maybe, MAYBE understand hyping it if Cabrera was sitting on homer #600 or #700.  Those numbers are still rarified air and maybe worth a little bit of hype.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Discussing Cabrera didn’t bother me at all.    

Two nights ago, Kyle Funkhouser got Anthony Santander to ground out to 1B and Brown reported something like, “there’s a grounder to first base, and so Funkhouser wins the trisyllabic battle.”   I was thinking, “the what battle?”   Then it dawned on me what he was saying.   I was pretty impressed that he pulled that out of his butt.   

He's definitely entertaining. The Cabrera stuff didn't bother me either. We suck, they suck, the game is meaningless, it would be cool to see. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I turned it off and started watching the Giants (new adopted team, visited my uncle out there last week who's a big fan so it's not completely random...and in the vein of announcers, it's great to hear Jon Miller, an added bonus).  But yeah, he couldn't STFU about Cabrera playing tomorrow in the later innings of tonight's game too so it wasn't a surprise.

I could maybe, MAYBE understand hyping it if Cabrera was sitting on homer #600 or #700.  Those numbers are still rarified air and maybe worth a little bit of hype.

Lucky folks out there. Sure miss THAT guy!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I watch a bunch of Giants games, based mostly on the quality of their announcers.  All four of the main guys are first rate.  The fact that they are playing well adds to it.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, SteveA said:

I had not been too heavy into bashing the announcers.  Wanted to give them a chance.

But after last night, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

There isn't a more exciting way for a baseball game to end than with the tie run being thrown out at the plate for the last out.   

And Scott Garceau's bland, low key description last night was so weak.   Imagine how much more exiting it would have been with Joe Angel, Gary Thorne, or Jon Miller calling it.   Or Chuck Thompson or Bill O'Donnell. Even some announcers we have had who weren't the most technically competent in the world, like Fred Manfra or Tom Marr, would have made it far more exciting.   I almost felt I got cheated out of getting full enjoyment out of the moment because Garceau was so blase.   I thought it was as bad as it could get.

But I was wrong.  Very wrong.   This morning while driving into work, 105.7 replayed the radio call of the final play by Melanie Newman.   It was every bit as bland and it was hard to follow what happened too.   It was absolutely terrible, completely unexciting and didn't convey a good mental image of what was happening.   I was surprised that 105.7 wasn't too embarrassed to run that replay at all.   If we pull a 1989 and have a season good enough to make a highlight video of, they will have to figure out a way to dub an actual announcer over either Garceau or Newman to include the finish to this game.   Or use the Yankee broadcast.    I'm no fan of John Sterling but I'm sure he did a good job conveying what happened on the play and the excitement of the moment.

You'd be surprised at how bad other team's announcers are.  I was listening on Sirius the other day to a Yankees broadcast, and it was awful.  They had an older sounding gentleman doing the play-by-play as if he never saw a baseball game in his life and a lady who sounded like your stereotypical middle-aged NYer.  She actually wasn't terrible, but she had anything but a baseball announcer's delivery.  

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

You'd be surprised at how bad other team's announcers are.  

Eh, not really.  We've had it pretty good.  As annoyed as I was with Brown last night and as annoying as he can be when he tries too hard to be witty, he's still good.

In regards to other team's announcers, you don't have to go very far on your tv set to listen to Boring Bob Carpenter and FP Santangelo.  Easily the worst I've heard.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Discussing Cabrera didn’t bother me at all.    

Two nights ago, Kyle Funkhouser got Anthony Santander to ground out to 1B and Brown reported something like, “there’s a grounder to first base, and so Funkhouser wins the trisyllabic battle.”   I was thinking, “the what battle?”   Then it dawned on me what he was saying.   I was pretty impressed that he pulled that out of his butt.   

I even tweeted about that. That was a good one.

Agreed on his Cabrera talk. We're a bad team that he talks about 98% of the time. If he wants to spend some time gushing over a future HoFer who could hit a milestone during the game, I'm fine with that.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I even tweeted about that. That was a good one.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed.  I honestly couldn’t believe he came up with that.   

Overall I’m very pleased with how Brown has developed over his three years here.   At first he was a little aloof, and described the game well but without conveying much excitement or the sense that the game was interesting.   He’s really come around on that score.   I see no reason he can’t develop into a broadcaster that O’s fans will view with the same fondness they had for Thompson, Miller, Angel and Thorne.   It just takes time.    

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, not really.  We've had it pretty good.  As annoyed as I was with Brown last night and as annoying as he can be when he tries too hard to be witty, he's still good.

In regards to other team's announcers, you don't have to go very far on your tv set to listen to Boring Bob Carpenter and FP Santangelo.  Easily the worst I've heard.  

Wow, your definition of what's good and bad is diametrically opposed to mine.  Carpenter combined with Santangelo is a terrific blend.  I have no interest in Nats games, but watch them sometimes just to hear them.  

Brown isn't at all annoying - I like that he takes chances - and is a star in the making, imo.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

You'd be surprised at how bad other team's announcers are.  I was listening on Sirius the other day to a Yankees broadcast, and it was awful.  They had an older sounding gentleman doing the play-by-play as if he never saw a baseball game in his life and a lady who sounded like your stereotypical middle-aged NYer.  She actually wasn't terrible, but she had anything but a baseball announcer's delivery.  

LOL.   John Sterling is in his 80s and is considered a Hall of Fame caliber broadcaster.   I'm not crazy about him but he is considered one of the best in the business.

Suzyn Waldman is somewhat of an acquired taste but she really knows baseball and I think she adds a lot to the broadcast.  Yeah, she's got a NY accent that non New Yorkers might find a bit annoying but she is broadcasting to a NY audience.

I've listened to a lot of Yankees broadcasts over the years while visiting upstate NY.   I'd take those two over Garceau & Melanie Newman any time on a pure talent basis, even though I hate their inherent Yankee-osity.

• Upvote 1