Play by Play Announcers

SteveA

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Garceau is ok.  

You guys want to hear bland?  Listen to the Nats team.  

That Nats broadcast team is the league's worst.

Ben McDonald and Joe Angel is my favorite combo of all time.  It was shortlived, but their broadcasts were the most well informed, hilarious, and exciting

• Upvote 1

So her video feed cut out? Man. MASN is really cutting corners then and trying to save as many bucks as possible. It was truly a terrible call. We laughed when we heard it. Hearing it live I was left with the impression that severino was hurt.

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

I had not been too heavy into bashing the announcers.  Wanted to give them a chance.

But after last night, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

There isn't a more exciting way for a baseball game to end than with the tie run being thrown out at the plate for the last out.   

And Scott Garceau's bland, low key description last night was so weak.   Imagine how much more exiting it would have been with Joe Angel, Gary Thorne, or Jon Miller calling it.   Or Chuck Thompson or Bill O'Donnell. Even some announcers we have had who weren't the most technically competent in the world, like Fred Manfra or Tom Marr, would have made it far more exciting.   I almost felt I got cheated out of getting full enjoyment out of the moment because Garceau was so blase.   I thought it was as bad as it could get.

But I was wrong.  Very wrong.   This morning while driving into work, 105.7 replayed the radio call of the final play by Melanie Newman.   It was every bit as bland and it was hard to follow what happened too.   It was absolutely terrible, completely unexciting and didn't convey a good mental image of what was happening.   I was surprised that 105.7 wasn't too embarrassed to run that replay at all.   If we pull a 1989 and have a season good enough to make a highlight video of, they will have to figure out a way to dub an actual announcer over either Garceau or Newman to include the finish to this game.   Or use the Yankee broadcast.    I'm no fan of John Sterling but I'm sure he did a good job conveying what happened on the play and the excitement of the moment.

Garceau is bad, Newman is AWFUL.  

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm not trying to pile on Melanie, but I have been very unimpressed with her on the radio.  The voice is good, but I feel like she's way behind in calling the action and doesn't let you know enough detail about what is going on.

In what way is her voice good? She’s monotonic and unemotional and conveys nothing with her voice. No urgency or anger or hope pr frustration or anything. She sounds like Siri. I doubt she’d raise her voice if you stuck a pin in her. And she says nothing interesting, has no charming vocabulary or turn of phrase, or eloquence. She no redeeming qualities as an announcer.

A Good voice can say uninteresting things and still be good. A terrible voice can read the keys to Heaven and still unlistenable. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

I had not been too heavy into bashing the announcers.  Wanted to give them a chance.

But after last night, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

There isn't a more exciting way for a baseball game to end than with the tie run being thrown out at the plate for the last out.   

And Scott Garceau's bland, low key description last night was so weak.   Imagine how much more exiting it would have been with Joe Angel, Gary Thorne, or Jon Miller calling it.   Or Chuck Thompson or Bill O'Donnell. Even some announcers we have had who weren't the most technically competent in the world, like Fred Manfra or Tom Marr, would have made it far more exciting.   I almost felt I got cheated out of getting full enjoyment out of the moment because Garceau was so blase.   I thought it was as bad as it could get.

But I was wrong.  Very wrong.   This morning while driving into work, 105.7 replayed the radio call of the final play by Melanie Newman.   It was every bit as bland and it was hard to follow what happened too.   It was absolutely terrible, completely unexciting and didn't convey a good mental image of what was happening.   I was surprised that 105.7 wasn't too embarrassed to run that replay at all.   If we pull a 1989 and have a season good enough to make a highlight video of, they will have to figure out a way to dub an actual announcer over either Garceau or Newman to include the finish to this game.   Or use the Yankee broadcast.    I'm no fan of John Sterling but I'm sure he did a good job conveying what happened on the play and the excitement of the moment.

Garceau was just as crucially bad, actually worse on Sisco's go-ahead blooper single than he was on the game-ending putout. No joy expressed at it falling in!l

Going back to the last play: No way Thorne or Angel would have let Severino's glove to Urshela's face go unmentioned or guffawed  about like Garceau did, although, of course, followed by an expression of concern for possible injury. Really miss the Thorne / Palmer interactions. Don't miss Hunter or Bordick though.

• Upvote 1

Also, the cutaways to Rob Long's hurried, monotone cramming of often unimpressive stats is annoying. I think they annoy Palmer too, since they tend to disrupt the mood and flow of his more narrative, less stat-tethered commentary.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, LA2 said:

Also, the cutaways to Rob Long's hurried, monotone cramming of often-unimpressive stats is annoying. I think they annoy Palmer too, since they tend to disrupt the mood and flow of his more narrative, less stat-tethered commentary.

I can’t imagine Palmer is too thrilled w/ the new guy constantly interrupting him either.

I can understand your frustration at the announcers.  Baseball is a very detail oriented game and to come close to getting the most out of it, there must be emphatic emotion.  It can have too much emotion, but that is difficult to do IMO.  I was very lucky to have grown up with Buddy Blattner of the Browns and Harry Carey and a bit later Jack Buck of the Cardinals in St. Louis.  They knew the game inside and out, not somebody looking for a job, who just happened to walk in the door.  They knew stats  by memory  in the days before widespread TV,  just radio. .I learned the game of baseball from those guys.   In your situation it could be that those people just simply do not know enough of the stats or even the rules of the game  to come close to doing a good job behind the mike.    Sorry for you that it is that way.  

21 hours ago, Philip said:

In what way is her voice good? She’s monotonic and unemotional and conveys nothing with her voice. No urgency or anger or hope pr frustration or anything. She sounds like Siri. I doubt she’d raise her voice if you stuck a pin in her. And she says nothing interesting, has no charming vocabulary or turn of phrase, or eloquence. She no redeeming qualities as an announcer.

A Good voice can say uninteresting things and still be good. A terrible voice can read the keys to Heaven and still unlistenable. 

Her voice is smooth and pleasant to listen to. I really don't care if the announcers show much emotion.  Just not important to me. But I do want the radio folks to do a good job of keeping up with and describing the action which she's been poor at from what I've listened to. 

16 hours ago, LA2 said:

Also, the cutaways to Rob Long's hurried, monotone cramming of often unimpressive stats is annoying. I think they annoy Palmer too, since they tend to disrupt the mood and flow of his more narrative, less stat-tethered commentary.

Got no respect for Lob Rong's shtick.

The issue I really had the other night was Jim Palmer yammering on about not being able to block the plate. He’s a favorite of mine and he usually is right on about everything. But he has to know that the catcher can block the plate if he has the ball, right? 

39 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

The issue I really had the other night was Jim Palmer yammering on about not being able to block the plate. He’s a favorite of mine and he usually is right on about everything. But he has to know that the catcher can block the plate if he has the ball, right? 

Not the same thing. In fact, he talked about how a runner used to have to think about that and rarely has a clear path to the plate.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:15 PM, Philip said:

I thought we had Siri calling games on radio when I first tuned in this year. 

• Haha 1