4/9 Move(s)

Legend_Of_Joey

2 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

via cbs:

According to the report, Wagner’s firing was due partly to his commentary on his personal Twitter account, @rwags614. The report states that Wagner had previously been cautioned by the team about his social media posts.

Bye bye freedom of speech. And so much for keeping "politics" out of baseball. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I wonder if they can bring him back one day this summer, just for the induction of "JAY.... JAY.... Hardy!" into the Orioles HOF.

Honestly, when all is said and done, that's pretty much what I'll remember him for.   He did a fine job, but nothing else particularly distinctive or memorable jumps out in my mind..

The only thing I remember him for, too, but I never liked it. It was like it was more about him than it was about Hardy. So he's 0-1 in my book. I won't miss him.

45 minutes ago, now said:

Bye bye freedom of speech. And so much for keeping "politics" out of baseball. 

We don’t even know what he said, do we?   Could’ve been political, could’ve been something else entirely.    I have a feeling the details will emerge.   No reason for  Wagner not to talk about it If he feels like it.   

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

A recent fav.

I try not to judge, but the internet makes it hard not to.  I can definitely see that guy rubbing someone the wrong way and then wondering why someone had a problem with him.  Maybe it's the hipster beard and the glasses.  Who knows.

I think this is 100% accurate.  He definitely thinks he’s the sh** because of that MLB show and being the PA announcer.

He’s not really that knowledgeable, at least judging by his tweets.

• Upvote 1

Having a Twitter account Is possibly the single dumbest thing someone can do in the social media age. You can’t say anything meaningful, And you can say something impulsive that will get you killed. I should actually change my Orioles hang out name to Joe Schlabotnik.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You don't get walked out like that without having done something pretty stupid.  And it sounds like he was warned not to do it before.

His tweets didn't show anything really inflammatory, unless you consider his haughtiness offensive.

Appears like it's not an isolated incident, whatever happened. When you get repeated warnings to stop rocking the boat, then if you value your place, stop rocking the boat. 

And if you have to mouth off, create an anonymous account. It's not that hard to not tie your opinions to your employers' public image.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

As an employee, you are expected to act in a way representative of what your employer wants. That has zero to do with "freedom of speech."

"As an employee" being the operative word here. So they have control over what he says in his personal life? I guess social media is to blame for personal becoming public. Who knew going public could mean losing freedom?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Having a Twitter account Is possibly the single dumbest thing someone can do in the social media age. You can’t say anything meaningful, And you can say something impulsive that will get you killed. I should actually change my Orioles hang out name to Joe Schlabotnik.

If you stick to reportage of your field, Twitter is a useful medium to market one's social media profile and increase followers while well providing knowledge to fans. Using Twitter is a smart outlet to engage when used judiciously.

Looks like dude kept pissing off his bosses again and again, for years at a time. He apparently knew he was on thin ice but seemingly kept pushing against his warnings. Looks like his firing was probably of his own volition. Was he only using his "celebrity" to promote Orioles feel-good stories? Obviously "No," even though that would be the expectation of an employee of his level. Was he using his Orioles connection to promote Guinness beer without the corporation paying proper advertising fees? Doubtful! That would be a big violation. Plus, Guinness would happily pay for that promotion, I guarantee it.

Or did he want to parlay his Orioles name recognition and resultant "followers" to preach personal opinions that his employer decided they had no desire to possibly experience the backlash from? "Who knew" there might be repercussions? Everyone, including the poster.

I get that we all enjoy spouting off -- that's part of what motivates some people to join forums. But Twitter is a soapbox for a lot of people who think they are far more important than what they really are. For various reasons, they share  extemporaneous reactions to the day's events, sometimes not well reflected upon. Bottom line,  it's common that if you use your company's identity as your basis of platform, you will be expected to follow a minimum standard of expectation -- and it doesn't matter one bit what exactly he said now., last year, or three years ago or however many times he tweeted something the organization was rebuffed by. Sad truth: Wagner is an employee at will who displeased his employer.

You don't have to like or respect reactions to your social media posts. But you have to navigate it if you want to keep your job. We all have to maneuver our employers' work environments. If we can't, we know the expected outcome.

Yeah, you "lose freedom" -  in a way: sometimes when you agree to take big-income,  high-profile jobs, then playing within the employer's parameters is how we agree to act if you want to bank coin.

btw: Philip: Online anonymity is something more involved than calling one's self "Joe Shitbotnik," or whatever you said.

• Upvote 1