Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kevin Goldstein chimes in:

:23
Ben: Fact or Fiction… Grayson Rodriguez is the best pitching prospect in baseball?

Kevin Goldstein: Fact.

Another interesting Q&A (unrelated to Grayson) from your link:

John b: does adley R fit the Orioles time line or could he be dealt to sweeten the lower levels further ?  He seems like he will arrive 2-3!years too early

Kevin Goldstein: I can’t see any scenario in which they trade him, or even should.

29 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

John b: does adley R fit the Orioles time line or could he be dealt to sweeten the lower levels further ?  He seems like he will arrive 2-3!years too early

Kevin Goldstein: I can’t see any scenario in which they trade him, or even should.

The only trade I can think of this decade where a team has traded a top 5 overall prospect is when the Nats traded Lucas Giolito, Dan Dunning and Reynoldo Lopez for Adam Eaton.

The Nats won a World Series with Eaton, and he was quite good in the World Series but didn't do much the rest of the playoffs and has been worth under 3 rWAR total in the 4 seasons he was with the Nats.

I don't recall any team ever trading a top 5 prospect overall for more prospects, which seems to be what this guy is suggesting.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The only trade I can think of this decade where a team has traded a top 5 overall prospect is when the Nats traded Lucas Giolito, Dan Dunning and Reynoldo Lopez for Adam Eaton.

The Nats won a World Series with Eaton, and he was quite good in the World Series but didn't do much the rest of the playoffs and has been worth under 3 rWAR total in the 4 seasons he was with the Nats.

I don't recall any team ever trading a top 5 prospect overall for more prospects, which seems to be what this guy is suggesting.

Moncada was the #1 prospect in baseball when he was part of the trade for Sale in 2016.

12 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

If the Orioles are still 2-3 years away from competing, then they have done something wrong in my opinion.  Next year, and certainly 2023, they should be competing for a wild card if they are doing this thing correctly. 

10 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

If the Orioles are still 2-3 years away from competing, then they have done something wrong in my opinion.  Next year, and certainly 2023, they should be competing for a wild card if they are doing this thing correctly. 

Yep but the fans will buy into whatever they are being told, so the timetable doesn’t really exist.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep but the fans will buy into whatever they are being told, so the timetable doesn’t really exist.

Yup, unfortunately.  I've been saying this since the beginning, as have you.  The team doesn't have to constantly suck after the first say, 2 years of the rebuild.  And they should be looking at all ways to improve the team, not just via the draft and trading veterans for prospects.  As I posted in the Glasnow thread, you have to be creative. 

25 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t expect them to contend next year, and never thought they’d be contending by then.  Just too much to do and too much strength in our division right now.   

That said, beginning next year we need to see significant and steady improvement.   I won’t put an exact timeline on when they need to contend, but they can’t stagnate.

I was thinking today about 2009 when Wieters and 7 other minor leaguers debuted.   It was exciting to see all that talent coming up, but it still took three more losing seasons and a bunch of good moves to get the team to contention.   I can’t say the W-L record steadily improved in that period.   We’ll see if it plays out differently this time.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t expect them to contend next year, and never thought they’d be contending by then.  Just too much to do and too much strength in our division right now.   

That said, beginning next year we need to see significant and steady improvement.   I won’t put an exact timeline on when they need to contend, but they can’t stagnate.

I was thinking today about 2009 when Wieters and 7 other minor leaguers debuted.   It was exciting to see all that talent coming up, but it still took three more losing seasons and a bunch of good moves to get the team to contention.   I can’t say the W-L record steadily improved in that period.   We’ll see if it plays out differently this time.   

That's true and correct, but I'd like to think they will have the building blocks in place for next year as to who will/should be on the next playoff team, and those guys getting regular at bats.  Granted, even if Grayson comes up, the pitching still leaves a lot to be desired.  A fourth year of being awful, not just under .500 awful, but this level of awful, would be hard to stomach and really does not seem necessary given the progress of the rebuild. 

10 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

That's true and correct, but I'd like to think they will have the building blocks in place for next year as to who will/should be on the next playoff team, and those guys getting regular at bats.  Granted, even if Grayson comes up, the pitching still leaves a lot to be desired.  A fourth year of being awful, not just under .500 awful, but this level of awful, would be hard to stomach and really does not seem necessary given the progress of the rebuild. 

I agree it’s not necessary.   I’d go further and say I think it would be counterproductive.   

At this point, I figure Grayson stays in Bowie so long as they’re in the playoff hunt.   After tonight Bowie has a half game lead over Somerset for the second playoff spot.  Fourteen games left in the regular season, and two starts for Grayson.   If they make the playoffs I think he’ll be lined up for Game 1.   If they don’t, there’s still two weeks left In Norfolk’s season.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:24 AM, Frobby said:

I agree. First off, people are forgetting last year was a lost season, especially for development.

Secondly, the Orioles had no presence in Latin America. It takes time to get things in place and then reap the benefits.

Third, to the extent you’re right about what happened in 2009 there were different decisions being made by ownership. Hopefully, Elias is able to spend adding FA talent unlike his predecessors who were limited by PA. I still don’t fully trust that will happen because “sins of the father“ and all that, but I’m willing to give them a chance. 

It should start coming together by next year. If not, I’ll expect nothing does until there’s a sale.