Tankathon

hutchead

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Very treatable?

We don't even know what his condition is.  How do you know it's treatable?

Myocarditis. Basically it's inflammation of the heart muscle. From a viral infection.

A viral infection usually causes myocarditis, but it can result from a reaction to a drug or be part of a more general inflammatory condition.

Causes

• Viruses. Many viruses...

• Bacteria. Numerous bacteria...

• Parasites. Among these are...
  • Fungi. Yeast infections, such as candida...

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Myocarditis. Basically it's inflammation of the heart muscle. From a viral infection.

I know that is what he had last year.

He's supposedly over it.

I found a quote last week in which the O's used the past tense in regards to his Myocarditis.

Is that what is causing the issue this year?  /shrug.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know that is what he had last year.

He's supposedly over it.

I found a quote last week in which the O's used the past tense in regards to his Myocarditis.

Is that what is causing the issue this year?  /shrug.

That I don't know. All that I've read, just seems to me like they're just really slow-playing it all.

4 hours ago, sevastras said:

Just an exercise, let’s say Adley comes up and is Buster Posey like and then in two years Maikol Hernández comes up and is Machado like. This whole conversation starts to be very different. Or let’s say the Os had Wander Franco in their system. Like others have said, once the minors get started and people can start to see what we have then maybe they can get excited about things.  I am personally excited to see these guys and what they can do. 

Sure, but that's not what this conversation is about, it's about the current group on the 26-man roster. As I've said, Elias still has a major incomplete and part of that is because there was no minor league last year so we haven't seen any of his acquisitions even play in the minor leagues yet.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Its just crazy that Mountcastle did not play some 1B in ST.

It's more crazy that Mountcastle didn't spend his minor league seasons in LF for most of the last three years. He was never going to play on the left side of the infield. They would have had enough time to know whether or not Mountcastle could play LF effectively of not instead of watching him try at the major league level.

The statcast numbers on his jumps, burst and feet/covered are awful, but he hasn't had a ton of chances overall. This year he's had more tough chances as it's highlighted his struggles unlike last year when he really didn't get a lot of tough chances.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's more crazy that Mountcastle didn't spend his minor league seasons in LF for most of the last three years. He was never going to play on the left side of the infield. They would have had enough time to know whether or not Mountcastle could play LF effectively of not instead of watching him try at the major league level.

The statcast numbers on his jumps, burst and feet/covered are awful, but he hasn't had a ton of chances overall. This year he's had more tough chances as it's highlighted his struggles unlike last year when he really didn't get a lot of tough chances.

*sigh* That's a shame. I guess hindsight is 20-20 but someone should have seen it coming... No offense to you Tony, but there's better baseball minds than any of ours working on it. Should have seen.

24 minutes ago, scOtt said:

*sigh* That's a shame. I guess hindsight is 20-20 but someone should have seen it coming... No offense to you Tony, but there's better baseball minds than any of ours working on it. Should have seen.

Duquette bares most some of the responsibility from what I've heard as the player development folks wanted him off SS or 3B for awhile. I do think they were thinking first base though more than LF but with his overall decent athleticism, they should have thought LF first to get more value. 

But, its kinda like Ruiz. Why was he not sent to 2B after Franco was signed if they were thinking he was an option there? Ruiz has been ok at 2B, but his DP turns have been a bit slow because of his long arm action.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Duquette bares most some of the responsibility from what I've heard as the player development folks wanted him off SS or 3B for awhile. I do think they were thinking first base though more than LF but with his overall decent athleticism, they should have thought LF first to get more value. 

But, its kinda like Ruiz. Why was he not sent to 2B after Franco was signed if they were thinking he was an option there? Ruiz has been ok at 2B, but his DP turns have been a bit slow because of his long arm action.

I don't think cutting Yolmer Sanchez loose was in their original plans.   Not sure what changed... maybe there's something we don't know about Yolmer, whether it's makeup or mental or personal or physical, that they really didn't like once they saw him in spring training.   But I feel like cutting him was a "late" decision and the Rio thing is part of them scrambling to improvise after the fact.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I don't think cutting Yolmer Sanchez loose was in their original plans.   Not sure what changed... maybe there's something we don't know about Yolmer, whether it's makeup or mental or personal or physical, that they really didn't like once they saw him in spring training.   But I feel like cutting him was a "late" decision and the Rio thing is part of them scrambling to improvise after the fact.   

All this. It's like we wasted time on Sanchez when we had a decent-ish enough player already. Without a position once Franco was signed.

5 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I really don't see any base to build from

I don't see a single guy on the ML roster that will be a key contributor to the next competitive team.

I'm shocked to find that you have a negative viewpoint on the Orioles.  Shocked.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2