The Tanner Scott Roulette Wheel

Frobby

Back on topic: Scott comes in last night in a tie game, runner on 2B and two out.  Weak-hitting Billy Hamilton is at the plate.   Scott quickly gets ahead 0-2, the second strike coming on a fastball 3-4 inches off the outside corner that produces a very weak swing.   So what does Scott do on 0-2?  Throws him a fastball that couldn’t be more center cut if he placed it on a tee.  And Hamilton hits a sharp grounder up the middle for an RBI single.    

OK, Scott’s not the first guy to miss his spot on an 0-2 pitch and give up a hit, but this was really maddening.    Hamilton is such a lame hitter.  No way Scott needed to throw him a strike there, and definitely not that strike.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Back on topic: Scott comes in last night in a tie game, runner on 2B and two out.  Weak-hitting Billy Hamilton is at the plate.   Scott quickly gets ahead 0-2, the second strike coming on a fastball 3-4 inches off the outside corner that produces a very weak swing.   So what does Scott do on 0-2?  Throws him a fastball that couldn’t be more center cut if he placed it on a tee.  And Hamilton hits a sharp grounder up the middle for an RBI single.    

OK, Scott’s not the first guy to miss his spot on an 0-2 pitch and give up a hit, but this was really maddening.    Hamilton is such a lame hitter.  No way Scott needed to throw him a strike there, and definitely not that strike.

I’m not the most knowledgeable fan, but Scott doesn’t seem to have a clue where the ball is going.

Last night we got the Tanner Scott we dream about — 10 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 strikeouts, BOOM!   He’s fun to watch when he’s on.   Just wish it happened more consistently.   

In general, that was a strong game from the bullpen.   

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, interloper said:

Valaika played a part. He has got to go, I just do not understand why he is still a part of this roster. 

Yeah, I just saw the play.   That did play a big part.  Still, Scott had his chance to end it.   

I did not see the game.  Other than hitting a home run, what did Valaika do to impact the result?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Valaika played a part. He has got to go, I just do not understand why he is still a part of this roster. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I just saw the play.   That did play a big part.  Still, Scott had his chance to end it.   

He just crumbles in the 9th like every time. It's going to be hard to trade this guy because everyone knows he can't handle high leverage. When he does handle it, it feels more lucky than good. I am not a fan of the player. 

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I did not see the game.  Other than hitting a home run, what did Valaika do to impact the result?

With one out and runners on first and second, Arozarena hit a looping popup to shallow right field, closer to first base than second.

It was not a routine play (if it had been, Arozarena would have been out on the infield fly rule).  It was going to be a difficult catch for Mountcastle, because he had to try to catch it while running out toward the outfield and looking over his shoulder.  It wasn't going to be easy for Valaika, either, even though he had a better angle, because he had been shaded over toward second base and had a longer way to go.

Mountcastle reached up and got his glove on the ball, but Valaika, going hard for the ball, crashed into him.  The ball popped loose, so everyone was safe.

There is no way of knowing whether Mountcastle tried to call Valaika off.  If he did, Valaika evidently couldn't hear him.  If either of them had caught the ball, the Orioles would have won the game when the next batter struck out.

I have a hard time criticizing a guy for hustling.  Valaika was doing that.  It was just the sort of unfortunate play that seems to happen to teams with losing records more often than not.

• Upvote 4