What are the odds we end up getting Tex?

Frobby

What are the odds we land Teixeira?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds we land Teixeira?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Yankees going into that new stadium will have them breaking the bank to sign Tex and CC. The Red Sox (who don't really need Tex) will be bidding just to drive the price up for the Yankees. The chance the Orioles sign any of the top FAs (including Tex, CC, or AJ) are zero, none, nil, nada, zilch, zip.

My vote:

0% chance he signs with the Orioles.

If I was him, I'd take less money to stay in Anaheim.

Since he's a Boras baby, he's going to one of the East Coast's two media hells: New York or Boston.

Cash is king.

End of story.

We've got the next Boras superstar in Wieters and Guthrie is also a Boras client and we've got an RSN, something that Boras loves, so don't think we aren't a "Boras team."

I think the idea of Teixeira and MASN would definitely excite Boras.

I thought I would throw out this list of all the $100 mm + contracts ever signed:

Alex Rodriguez, $275,000,000 (2008-17)

Alex Rodriguez, $252,000,000 (2001-10)

Derek Jeter, $189,000,000 (2001-10)

Manny Ramirez, $160,000,000 (2001-08)

Miguel Cabrera, $152,300,000 (2008-15)

Todd Helton, $141,500,000 (2003-11)

Johan Santana, $137,500,000 (2008-13)

Alfonso Soriano, $136,000,000 (2007-14)

Vernon Wells, $126,000,000 (2008-14)

Barry Zito, $126,000,000 (2007-13)

Mike Hampton, $121,000,000 (2001-08)

Jason Giambi, $120,000,000 (2002-08)

Carlos Beltran, $119,000,000 (2005-11)

Ken Griffey Jr., $116,500,000 (2000-08)

Kevin Brown, $105,000,000 (1999-2005)

Carlos Lee, $100,000,000 (2007-12)

Albert Pujols, $100,000,000 (2004-10)

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2000/05/most-lucrative-contracts.html

I look at that list and quite honestly I don't see how any team could justify a $200 mm outlay to Tex. If this goes above 8/$160 mm you have to think hard about letting someone else have him.

We've got the next Boras superstar in Wieters and Guthrie is also a Boras client and we've got an RSN, something that Boras loves, so don't think we aren't a "Boras team."

I think the idea of Teixeira and MASN would definitely excite Boras.

It's highly unlikely that Tex comes to Baltimore. I voted no way.

My vote is Anaheim. Not only do the Angels have the cash, they have few obstacles in reaching the postseason. Thanks to Bud-Selig's division alignment the Angels automatically have a 1 in 4 chance of reaching the postseason. And the three franchises in the Angels division are inferior to the competition in the AL East. In the end the Angels competitive position combined with a strong offer will be too much for Tex to resist.

When Tex signs with another team I will be one of the first to say I told you so. Everybody on the Tex bandwagon will be disappointed when he says no to the Angelos Orioles.

I voted 10%... but I think the chances are less than that. I'm honestly surprised at those that think there's a decent shot we get him... We don't have and don't like to spend the kind of money on big name free agents that several teams do. Not too mention that several of these teams... (Yankees, BoSox and Angels) all are in the market for a first baseman. How you can vote higher than 10% is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him but I can't see it happening...

I voted 25-50%. I think he is going to get way overpaid by the Yankees. To be honest I'm not sure I'm as interested as I was 6 months ago anyway. I think between trading Roberts and some other pieces we could fill alot of needs and would be better off in 3 years when our young pitching is ready. I like Roberts but if Tex is not signed he should be traded and maybe should be anyway. The main reason for me to keep Roberts is to help get Tex. This team should be focused on 2011-2012 not 2009 IMHO.

I may be on the outside with this one but I just don't see it happening. I'd say 10% or less. And to be honest, I'm not too sure I want it to. I know there's different leadership and I know it is a different time, but part of me feels like this is just going to be a Tejada type signing where we get one star, surround him with a bunch of pansies and trade him a few years later when we still suck. Basically, I'd like to see some other moves first.

I may be on the outside with this one but I just don't see it happening. I'd say 10% or less. And to be honest, I'm not too sure I want it to. I know there's different leadership and I know it is a different time, but part of me feels like this is just going to be a Tejada type signing where we get one star, surround him with a bunch of pansies and trade him a few years later when we still suck. Basically, I'd like to see some other moves first.

Peter Angelos will not invest 160-200 million dollars in one player and not surround him with talent to win.

The Orioles already have Jones and Wieters and should retain Roberts and Markakis so Tex has already got a good core to be surrounded with in the next 4-5 years.

Tex is the final piece to the offense. The pitching will catch up in probably a year.

Archived