Who’s next to go?

Philip

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t believe that a short absence by the pitching coach should cause a staff to fall apart.   

Believe what you like.  It is certainly a theory the fits what has happened.   Holt helped these pitchers make corrections as needed to both their physical and mental approach to the game.  They trust him.   He made a poor staff marginally better. Without him they are a disaster.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Believe what you like.  It is certainly a theory the fits what has happened.   Holt helped these pitchers make corrections as needed to both their physical and mental approach to the game.  They trust him.   He made a poor staff marginally better. Without him they are a disaster.

This isn’t entirely true.

First of all, they were praising Darren Holmes very recently.

Secondly, the staff looked good in a very SSS but there was a lot of troubling signs with some of the pitchers.  It was only a matter of time before they started to get hit.

Even Means lately has some chinks in the armor.  It hasn’t shown up much in terms of runs allowed but if it keeps up, it will.

When a player is playing above their heads, there will be some regression to the mean, whether their magical coach is there or not.

That being said, it doesn’t help that Holt is gone either. 

44 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A staff of talented pitchers is always preferable.   But it takes a guy like Holt to hold together a staff like what the O's have.

What happened with Holt?

edit: just saw Frobby’s comment.

Edited by Philip

As I said in the game thread, I'm tired of both our catchers.  Both are a weakness behind the plate and with the bat.  I'm sick and tired of seeing so many passed or dropped pitches, and the inability to catch a ball thrown to home from the infield or outfield.  Yes, the running game is decently held in check, but big deal, that is such a minor aspect of the current game it really has little impact.  For me a catcher must either be a master behind the plate to make up for the lack of a good bat, or have a great bat to outweigh the catching issues (Yes clearly I'd rather have one that's great at both catching and hitting, but...).  Both the current guys are poor at both.  Bring up one of the kids, probably not AR due to not wanting to mess with him and service time issues, but someone, anyone.  I'd rather never see Severino or Sisco in a lineup again.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

WC thinks Holt farts faerie dust.  He's a genuine miracle worker.

There is not enough information to be sure but he has a chance to be the best O's pitching coach since Bamberger.   Give him Means, Grayson, DL, Bradish and Baumann and watch what happens.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is not enough information to be sure but he has a chance to be the best O's pitching coach since Bamberger.   Give him Means, Grayson, DL, Bradish and Baumann and watch what happens.

Ray Miller just rolled over in his grave.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildcard said:

Ray was good but not in Bamberger's class.   Holt has a chance to be better than Miller IMO.

You're getting way ahead with praising Holt. It's his first season as pitching coach, can we at least get through one season before evaluating his effectiveness. And Holt has a long way to go before surpassing Ray Miller. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You're getting way ahead with praising Holt. It's his first season as pitching coach, can we at least get through one season before evaluating his effectiveness. And Holt has a long way to go before surpassing Ray Miller. 

I disagree. Everyone knows one month of production from our pen was more than enough evidence. It speaks volumes. 

Any moves at this point would be a marginal upgrade, but I would rather watch them lose while playing somewhat fundamentally sound baseball. 

At least bring up another catcher and move Valdez off of this role. SSS applies but it seems as though the league has figured him out. Hopefully an infielder emerges so in that can replace Franco.